More mod updates - k-member and headers

edslowey

Established Member
Originally posted by ace75
ed, i noticed that youre going from borla to magnaflow exhaust. whats the reason, and i was wondering which one is quieter. i currently have a magnaflow, but i feel that this exhaust is a little louder than id like. thanks

The exhaust ended up being a custom combination of components. The headers (7/8" collectors, 3" headers) and 3" x-pipe are Griggs (made by Kooks), the mufflers are Hooker Aerochambers, and the pipe aft of the x-pipe is from a Dynomax GT system. The big reason for changing was that the Borla cat-back is designed to fit an IRS car.

This exhaust sounds incredible. It is quieter but meaner sounding than the Borla at idle and low throttle, but HOLY $$$$ it rocks when you step on it! It sounds just like a Formula 1 car :burnout:

Morgan

Established Member
Would you mind showing us some pictures with the wheels installed...THANKS!!! BTW, awesome project you have there!

jtfx6552

Established Member
Ed,
I don't want to be rude, but what do the suspension mods (not including the brakes) cost, roughly?

I went to Griggs site to try and ball park it, but it looks like it would take me a while to figure out what exactly I needed to include.

Also, Have you driven it yet? I'm interested in how the torque arm straight axle compares from a ride standpoint to the IRS?

JT

Squeeler92

Originally posted by jtfx6552
Ed,
I don't want to be rude, but what do the suspension mods (not including the brakes) cost, roughly?

I went to Griggs site to try and ball park it, but it looks like it would take me a while to figure out what exactly I needed to include.

Also, Have you driven it yet? I'm interested in how the torque arm straight axle compares from a ride standpoint to the IRS?

JT

I'd like to know the same....I would think in the ballpark of $5500?

edslowey

Established Member
OK, here you go:

Front suspension--

mkm 2000 6...tubular k-member
mfa 4000...front lower control arms severe duty w/delrin bushings
grp5 bumpkit...bumpsteer kit
kf d/a...Koni double adjustable struts
fco 2000...coil over kit front strut
sfco 10-350...2.5x10x350# coilover spring
ccp 2000 c...camber caster plates

Total for front suspension ~$2500.00

Rear suspension--

mta 1000 wst...Severe duty torque arm kit w/weld-in crossmember
mpb 1200 a...HD panhard assembly
mca 4500 99-n...adjustable length control arms
kr 40 street...rear coilover kit
srco 10-225 2.5x10x225#...coilover spring

Total for rear suspension ~$2500.00

I already had weld-in subframe connectors, jacking rails, and matrix braces.

With shipping etc your guess of $5500 was pretty close

Last edited:

Squeeler92

Damn....thats a real sweet setup you got there ed.

When I do get a Cobra (hopefully), I was thinking of just getting a coilover kit. The one made by Maximum Motorsports. Since I wont have the funds to do everything, would this be a good idea? Or should I go with the Kenny Brown Stage2 setup? Also, how does the car ride with the coilovers?

Thanks a lot...

EDIT : Heres the link http://www.maximummotorsports.com/mmcopkg.asp

Last edited by a moderator:

NukeX

My Shit Got Keyed, Yo
Established Member
like it hasn't been said before, MY GAWD!!!!!!!! Awesome ride Ed... If any car deserved a website displaying mods etc. it would be yours :) Can't wait to see it

edslowey

Established Member
Originally posted by WorkHorse09
No feedback on the MM coilover setup?

Coilovers are the way to go if you want to be able to adjust ride height. The MM kit looks very similar to the Griggs kit, except Griggs uses Koni vs. Bilstein in the MM. I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I think I would (and did) pick Griggs or MM over Kenny Brown.

As far as ride, for my setup the ride is similar to stock but handling is vastly improved. It drives perfectly straight and returns to straight when you let go of the wheel. Braking produces a squat instead of a nosedive. There is no comparison in traction and ride-wise I really can't tell the difference between the solid axle and the IRS. NO MORE BROKEN HALFSHAFTS!!!

99Blkcobravert

Established Member
Have you got this beast on th ground yet?? I'm interested in the ride and the launch charachteristics. I'm using 500's in the rear and 400's in the front, I need to drop about 50# off the front springs to soften the ride.

Just a note: Do the K-member before the headers, you will love the room to work and the ease of installation.:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread