More EGR Coolers for Ford EcoBoost Engines

More EGR Coolers for Ford EcoBoost Engines

5_Star_2.7_F-150_024.jpg

A few months back we took a look under the hood of the 2019 Ford Ranger and found something that appeared to be a bit out of place. It appears that Ford Engineers found that the mid-size truck’s 2.3L EcoBoost engine required an EGR Cooler in order to meet modern emissions regulations. Turns out that EGR Coolers are finding their way onto all sorts of new Ford engines.

Recently, we were taking a look at a 2020 F-150 equipped with the 2.7L EcoBoost and tuned by 5-Star tuning. While it was an awesome little ride, we couldn’t help but notice that Ford had snuck an EGR Cooler under the hood. It appears that these direct-injected turbo engines may be a bit dirtier than their “Eco” name would lead you to believe. Considering that the dead-nuts simple 7.3L gas V8 gets by without the need for EGR at all (yes, I know emissions regs vary based on GVRW).

Take a look at this video we shot of the underhood happenings and the accompanying pics. How far off do you think we are from seeing GPFs (gasoline particulate filters) bolted onto new vehicles here in the US?

5_Star_2.7_F-150_025.jpg

For such a small engine, the 2.7L EcoBoost certainly packs a lot of plumbing under the hood.

5_Star_2.7_F-150_026.jpg

Here's a good shot of the EGR valve, and various sensors, mounted on top of the valve cover. Looks like everything is easily accessible for 'servicing'.

As much as I'm trying, my inner cynic is kicking and screaming to bust out. lol
More unnecessarily expensive parts built to fail. Complements of our "pals" on the west coast most likely.

Ugh. Added complexity and additional points for failure. I pray the engine in the new Bronco isn't getting this but I sense it will (and more!).

Since the Ranger has one I have hard time believing that the Bronco won't.

Anyone had to replace one of these yet? Curious how much the part(s) and labor come out to. Probably still under warranty at this point I suppose.

SO maybe these are on the 2.7 V6 and 2.3 4 because they run higher boost levels. More boost, more cylinder temp and heat over all, so this helps cool them and reduce NOx?

To my knowledge it is still not on the 3.5. As I said in previous thread on this, the 3.5 and other earlier models of ecoboost engines? have no EGR at all. Ford said it uses VCT for this.

The bad, like diesel, Ecoboost produces more soot than a normal engine. This will go back into the engine and eventually clog the cooler Im thinking.

SO maybe these are on the 2.7 V6 and 2.3 4 because they run higher boost levels. More boost, more cylinder temp and heat over all, so this helps cool them and reduce NOx?

To my knowledge it is still not on the 3.5. As I said in previous thread on this, the 3.5 and other earlier models of ecoboost engines? have no EGR at all. Ford said it uses VCT for this.

The bad, like diesel, Ecoboost produces more soot than a normal engine. This will go back into the engine and eventually clog the cooler Im thinking.

Not only that, the soot acts like sand paper on the valves and cylinder walls.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread