Mono Blade

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
* This is a Dupe post from another forum but I was here pounding keys a whole lot as well !

I've posted or participated in every Mono Blade thread with curiosity then frustration about the FRPP SCJ, after 2 anchored Mustang Shop failed street driveability tunes + a failed Lund tune. One SCJ pulled 17rwhp but could not idle....hysterical !!

With the Two SCJ's ...both dated early 2016...TONS of calls to Ford Tech/Accufab (who's bench test declared mine to be perfect) both SCJ's now GONE. I can tell you I found a Mustang race shop just a couple of weeks ago...who has an original, unopened 2012 Ford SCJ and came very close to jumping on that deal and SCJ #3. If anyone is interested in that lead please PM.

Rather than revisit the SCJ nightmare I followed Jon Lund's April then most recent advice and finally ordered the Power By Hour package. This includes the huge KB 168mm Mono Blade, KB bolt matching O-Sized XBA Plenum and huge JLT 148 CAI. BPS makes the XBA and having the BPS already this was a dead port match for my Trinity.

After install in my garage and 8-9 street data logs Jon Lund Jr. did the final tweaks. My GT500 purrs at 850-900rpm at idle.....pedal's smooth as silk thru town ...zero surge....decells smoother than my twin blade which (with headers) had some slight popping. On the stab ...anywhere....throttle response is instantaneous and pull is linear. But hey...what does my butt know ? Let's compare to a late August Lund tune twin blade dyno pull.

Back in August I was at 2 shops advice hopping about a 10% crank pulley. I had room because my boost was 16.3 psi ...likely due to good breathing exhaust. On the Mustang dyno at 16.3 psi boost it pulled 629 rwhp with 410 gears. On a Dynonometer 15 minutes away this same set up pulled 680rw at 16.5psi. After speaking with both shops rather than the 10% pulley I opted for the Lund tuned PBH package.

Yesterday on the Mustang Dyno the KB168/ XBA/ JLT148 gain was across the board with peak up 29RWHP + 17RWTQ. And...most important ? The boost was exactly the same (16.3psi) with the big KB168 JLT148 versus the twin blade JLT123. NICE !!! Here's the dyno sheet showing the 2 pulls 4 weeks apart . The dotted line is Twin 67/JLT123. Solid is KB168/JLT148. Can't kick about such gains. At Mustang Dyno 658rwhp would show low 700rw on the Dynonometer with the 410's . No gear change though !

I didn't know Jack-s--t about TB servo transfers from my old stocker to the KB. The guys at PBH were too awesome despite my pestering them about that, XBA plenum fitment slightly bending my fuel rails and other amateurish questions. Owner Frank is phenomenal and their tuner Jake always took time to give install advice. Jon Lund Jr simply rocks..........not much more I could possible say about him. I'm in mid 60's The kid trained me on everything from tune loads to data logs. I’m not promoting anybody here. My car has the VMP Stage 4…has had VMP tunes. As I modded.. multiple Mustang Shop custom tunes. I went to Lund trying to dig my way out of the SCJ mono ditch then kept his VMP 67 tune.

In the end I just wanted to tell you folks ....this combo works . And according to my monitor it passes all NYS emissions.

Attachments

• (2) RS KB Mono Sept 17 Graph.jpg
    (2) RS KB Mono Sept 17 Graph.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 148

Willie

Established Member
Kudos! You certainly seem to have done your research! Do you know the flow numbers for the different mono blade TB's?

96gt02

Established Member
I feel like your JLT 123mm intake was the limiting factor in your old setup and the twin 67mm would have probably performed very closely to your current setup had you gone with the 148mm intake.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I feel like your JLT 123mm intake was the limiting factor in your old setup and the twin 67mm would have probably performed very closely to your current setup had you gone with the 148mm intake.

IDK about that. The mono's flow a shit ton of air.

Congrats OP! Thats an awesome feeling.

Any pics of the new set up?

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
PMAS was the initially preferred Lund option if anything due to the easier tuning. I would only have wanted the new PMAS 149 which was not yet on their website. I was going to try the tube from 1320junkie but my JLT148 was already in the kitchen. I also would have painted the PMAS AL section black. Once dialed and 100% street reliable Lund advised swapping to even the big PMAS would show little to no power gain.
Willie....from what I recall the SCJ flowed 1797cfm. The KB 168 flows 2150cfm.
I tried to post pics but the upload option is frozen...okay got it.

Attachments

• IMG_0450.JPG
    IMG_0450.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0453.JPG
    IMG_0453.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I love my monoblade's performance. Whipple 170mm mono. Max flow is 2175 CFM. My non ported M122 pulled like a sonofabitch after I installed it and my Lund tune. I ported my M122 last weekend (ugly as shit but it works) and even on the stock TB, its a bit of an improvement. I cant wait to bolt the mono on this weekend and see what it can do with a woke M122.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
I just had this set up custom tuned at my local Mustang Shop. I did add 1/2 bottle VP Octanium to the 93 octane to keep the sensors happy which allowed for an extra degree timing. Being just a weekend toy...that will be a regular thing :) . AFR was also tweaked for stronger mid range.
Base pull of 696hp/629tq (could be compared to the above Mustang Dyno sheet). This shop has a Dynonometer. Gain was 715hp/680tq after 4 pulls.
The only issue when I left was a bit of dead pedal never evident on last tune.
Due to the late pick up the DP could not be fully resolved. That should be eliminated this week.

Attachments

• MM Oct 17 Graph.jpg
    MM Oct 17 Graph.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 85
  • MM Oct 17 Column.jpg
    MM Oct 17 Column.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 77

paluka21

Established Member
I just had this set up custom tuned at my local Mustang Shop. I did add 1/2 bottle VP Octanium to the 93 octane to keep the sensors happy which allowed for an extra degree timing. Being just a weekend toy...that will be a regular thing :) . AFR was also tweaked for stronger mid range.
Base pull of 696hp/629tq (could be compared to the above Mustang Dyno sheet). This shop has a Dynonometer. Gain was 715hp/680tq after 4 pulls.
The only issue when I left was a bit of dead pedal never evident on last tune.
Due to the late pick up the DP could not be fully resolved. That should be eliminated this week.

You should ask the shop if they can correct the dyno readout to SAE for you, that way you can get a better indication of where you're at. STD tends to read a little higher. But then again, dyno numbers are just that; a number and a useful tool for tuning or validating changes.

Users who are viewing this thread