Monitors not ready SCT PRP

CJK440

Established Member
I have an issue with I/M Monitor readiness. I have 2 monitors not ready (EGR & Catalyst). I know why the EGR is not ready because it is deleted but want to have the catalyst monitor read ready.

The car is an 04 GT with a Saleen supercharger. Because of it the EGR is deleted so I expect that to not be ready. But don't know why I am getting Catalyst not ready. The car has magnaflow high flow spun cats and downstream O2's are on.

I had it checked it twice, second time I drove it a solid 30 mins previously so I am assuming its something in my tune. I searched the net and didn't find much. I did come across somebody who said that without the EGR readying the Catalyst will never ready and I hope that's not the case...

I have SCT PRP and contacted SCT which I did but while I wait for a response I figured I'd post here.

My biggest issue now is not knowing of any way for myself to view the status of the monitor other than paying for another test. Is there a way I can use PRP to log a flag/PID for catalyst monitor??

Any ideas why Catalyst isn't readying?

Last edited:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Make sure the sensors and heaters are on the rear O2 section. Also make sure the Codes are on in the Misc section I believe it's in, p156 up or down one.

itzl0l

Angry Bald Man
Established Member
Not 100% sure but I recall reading somewhere that 02 monitor will not ever become "ready" if the EGR is disabled or not ready.

Mach828

Established Member
How did you disable the EGR in the tune? Did you shut the code off or did you set the value so it never opens the EGR valve

CJK440

Established Member
I contacted SCT. The guy I talked to fooled with the file and said he can make it ready or not supported. I asked that he make it ready. He said it was all set and uploaded the file on my machine. After 100 miles over 2 days, still no catalyst monitor ready.....

Not 100% sure but I recall reading somewhere that 02 monitor will not ever become "ready" if the EGR is disabled or not ready.

Thats what I am afraid of.

How did you disable the EGR in the tune? Did you shut the code off or did you set the value so it never opens the EGR valve

EGR Type 2 and a number of other EGR parameters adjusted... And after the settings below had to turn off DTC P0405....

egr.PNG

One thing that I never did was turn adaptive learning back on.

I bought an Actron scan tool which shows I/M monitor readiness so at least I can tinker with it at home and not have to take it to a shop to check.

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member

Update: It appears itzl0l is correct. On that hunch I turned EGR back on in PRP by setting all EGR parameters back to stock. Cobbled up a "system" and took it for a drive. The EGR monitor became ready on a 5 min drive and today, 20 mins on the highway Catalyst Monitor became ready. All Monitors Ready.

Since I really don't have a proper EGR setup because my eaton setup doesn't have provisions, this is how I tricked the ECM into thinking its operational. (Of course for off road use only) I simply plugged the EGR Vacuum Regulator and DPFE valve back into the harness (with it deleted I just tucked the connectors in). I ran manifold vacuum to the regulator and then from the regulator to the Ref port on the DPFE. So when the computer signals the EGR regulator to open the EGR valve, I am really sending manifold vacuum to the DPFE where it senses a pressure differential. So far no codes after about 60 miles of driving. I plan to remove the sensor setup and turn EGR back off in the tune in the near future anyway. This is just temporary.

So if for some reason you want no more than a single monitor not-ready, and your EGR deleted, one option is to turn on EGR in the tune, trick the DPFE like I did and barring any other issues the Catalyst Monitor (and others) should eventually show ready.

Last edited:

CJK440

Established Member
Try turning adaptive learning off in the tune and then giving it a go.

It didn't ready with adaptive learning off initially and turning it on didn't help either. Turning on the EGR worked after rigging it up however (with adaptive on).

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Bingo! Mine never set to ready. Two local tuners were trying all kinds of tricks in the tune on my car and others cars and it never worked. My egr was deleted but on in the tune. It never through a code. Egr at cat efficiency never set. I eventually demodded the GT as i bought a Mach 1. Once back on the stock tune all monitors set to ready in a matter of 3 drives which totalled like 40 miles.

blownstang4.6

Established Member

Bingo! Mine never set to ready. Two local tuners were trying all kinds of tricks in the tune on my car and others cars and it never worked. My egr was deleted but on in the tune. It never through a code. Egr and cat efficiency never set. I eventually demodded the GT as i bought a Mach 1. Put the stock manifolds back on and hooked up the egr tube. Once back on the stock tune all monitors set to ready in a matter of 3 drives which totalled like 40 miles.

Last edited:

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Update: It appears itzl0l is correct. On that hunch I turned EGR back on in PRP by setting all EGR parameters back to stock. Cobbled up a "system" and took it for a drive. The EGR monitor became ready on a 5 min drive and today, 20 mins on the highway Catalyst Monitor became ready. All Monitors Ready.

Since I really don't have a proper EGR setup because my eaton setup doesn't have provisions, this is how I tricked the ECM into thinking its operational. (Of course for off road use only) I simply plugged the EGR Vacuum Regulator and DPFE valve back into the harness (with it deleted I just tucked the connectors in). I ran manifold vacuum to the regulator and then from the regulator to the Ref port on the DPFE. So when the computer signals the EGR regulator to open the EGR valve, I am really sending manifold vacuum to the DPFE where it senses a pressure differential. So far no codes after about 60 miles of driving. I plan to remove the sensor setup and turn EGR back off in the tune in the near future anyway. This is just temporary.

So if for some reason you want no more than a single monitor not-ready, and your EGR deleted, one option is to turn on EGR in the tune, trick the DPFE like I did and barring any other issues the Catalyst Monitor (and others) should eventually show ready.

Great to know!

Boogie Chillin

Pew, pew, ... pew, pew, pew.
Established Member
I'm having the same EGR & Catalyst readiness problem. I have never had the EGR for this vehicle. It passed OBDII tests 2 years ago. Since then I got a new tune and asked the tuner to make sure the vehicle could pass. I'm not sure how the EGR is set in the tune. I'm trying to get the tuner on the phone. I don't want to waste tons of time and money driving a car that won't ever set to ready.

CJK440

Established Member
Get your tuner to turn on egr and all related parameters. Do what I did with the Dpfe and egr regulator. Drive a little, verify monitors are on with an appropriate scanner and go pass emissions.

Boogie Chillin

Established Member
Maybe he can dupe a tune with those parameters on. I disconnect the battery regularly to work on the car. I'd hate to go through this exercise every two years. You wouldn't have any photos of the setup?

I think I'm tracking, and I have the parts. As I understand it: mount the EGR regulator to back to the manifold (I have the delete plate). Then run the EGR tube that would go to the headers to the DPFE reference port instead? (Or the port on top of the regulator?)

CJK440

Established Member
I didn't even really "mount" anything because it was temporary. I plugged in both connectors and ran some hose. When I passed I took it out, bagged it for next time and reloaded the EGR delete tune back in. I suppose it could be left as is but I don't know what the consequences may be of letting the ECU tune for EGR flow when there is none.

I got the idea from here. Read up on Work around #2 about halfway down the page.

http://www.focushacks.com/mod/DPFE_Sensor_and_EGR_Information

I also ended up buying a $100 actron scanner that checks the status of the readiness codes so I know what the emission station will see before I waste their time.

If the ECU programming didn't require EGR to be ready before readying the Catalyst I would not have had a problem since I am running cats and have my downstream 02's on.

Last edited:

Boogie Chillin

Established Member
Oh ok, I'm tracking now. That's pretty simple. Awesome stuff. Much better than rebuilding and running/installing all the EGR stuff. When I purchased my Cobra. It already had the delete. I had to buy the system on ebay and install it for the state visual inspection (not emmissions). Thanks so much. If I run into a wall, I'll hit you up again. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread