Mold at work

MachJoe

Established Member
A quick background of myself. I just turned 28, I am physically active as I go to the gym just about every day. I’m considered a “health nut” by my girlfriend and friends. And I typically do not get sick.

The office I am in now previously leaked, as well as 4 other offices in my building. The roof in my office was patched and the carpet was replaced the beginning of this year, but was never tested for mold. In September, I was rushed to the ER for having heart attack like symptoms. After a visit to a cardiologist, he ruled it as “work related stress” and advised I go see a neurologist (my limbs will go numb randomly and then I’ll have breathing issues – only at work though). However, I went to school full time AND ran my own business for 4 years and not once did I ever have stress so severe that it affected my health.

In October, they found those other 4 offices that leaked to have mold and moved the people out, however we are still exposed to these offices. The VP came out in a meeting and said “yes, we know there is mold, but we’re getting quotes right now to get it cleaned.” I’ve emailed the Safety manager, the nurse that is on duty at the plant, and both of them basically said the test came back positive, but they’re waiting for the report to come back in writing before they announce anything, but still won’t tell me what kind of mold it is.

I’ve looked up symptoms of black mold and a lot of them are the same symptoms that I was rushed to the ER for. I haven’t said anything about my health issues to my boss yet as I am still waiting to find out what mold it is. I feel like they’re dragging their feet on this. It has been 2 weeks since I’ve heard anything back. I sent out another email yesterday and about an hour later, I had a manager come up to me and tell me to stop asking about the mold.

I’m not looking for a lawsuit or anything, but if this building is affecting my health, I just ask to be relocated to the newer building. What actions can I take without painting a target on my back?

MG0h3

Established Member
File a workers comp claim so your bills can get paid and so there is a track record.

Unless Im mistaken, that stuff can damage your body permanently.

Sorry to hear about the trouble.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
That sucks, OP. You definitely need to somehow bring your medical problems into this so the company can take care of your current and future medical expenses. Mold is no joke. If you feel your company is being negligent in your safety, call OSHA.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
YOU, sir, come first. The company is looking out for their own best interests at this point. They likely won't do all that they need to do until the full report comes back and (hopefully) they'll be forced to take a proactive approach going forward. And even then, things might move more slowly than they can/should. You might consider sitting with your attorney to find out what your rights are if you have to take a tougher stand. Again, YOU come first. Your health comes first. If you don't take care of yourself, surely don't expect your company to. They'll probably do the minimum required. JMO.

NastyNate420

Established Member
I used to do Mold remediation. I dont know what your right as an employee are. IMO your company should seal off that area the best they can with plastic from the other areas and add air scrubber. If there is still moist present they should also add dehumidifiers. Some time owners wont do anything immediately that way it can get worst and get insurance to cover it. Possibly you can suggest some of these to the boss and maybe he will oblige. If not maybe ask for paid leave, take some personal days or something similar. You shouldnt have to work in those condition...but that odd are they dont care. Also if you can work by a source of fresh air.

MachJoe

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies. I sent out another email yesterday asking if we could get the offices sanctioned off and the air vents taped off at the very least. Still haven't received a response yet.

I'm still trying to see what the best route to take is. I'm nervous if I tell them about my current health issues and the results come back negative for toxic mold, I'll look stupid and possibly sealed my own fate with the company.
I'm leaning towards emailing OSHA and just let them get involved. This way if the test does come back negative, my name won't be on the line.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Are you the only one being affected by this and are having health issues?

I've never heard of mold causing paralysis, severe muscle contractions, extreme shortness of breath, etc. I have had two heart attacks in my life and have been around mold for several weeks on end to the point of getting cold-like symptoms and really bad headaches.

Mold typically causes headaches, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and cold-like symptoms.

What you need to figure out if this is a contained issue or if multiple people are experiencing the same thing. OSHA will want to investigate and determine if the issue is wide-spread or not. First and foremost, light fire under upper management to have them look into this before getting OSHA involved.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I would say the target is already on your back. Could you work from home? If you ask and they say no, get a quality mask and wear it around the office. I bet you'll be working from home or from another location in no time.

MachJoe

Established Member
Are you the only one being affected by this and are having health issues?

I've never heard of mold causing paralysis, severe muscle contractions, extreme shortness of breath, etc. I have had two heart attacks in my life and have been around mold for several weeks on end to the point of getting cold-like symptoms and really bad headaches.

Mold typically causes headaches, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea and cold-like symptoms.

What you need to figure out if this is a contained issue or if multiple people are experiencing the same thing. OSHA will want to investigate and determine if the issue is wide-spread or not. First and foremost, light fire under upper management to have them look into this before getting OSHA involved.

There are others, but they blame it on allergies and sinuses. Throughout the day you can hear people hacking crap up and it's been like that since I started working here in late 2014.

As for the symptoms, the dizziness and shortness of breath is what I get a lot of. Before going to the ER, I would freak out almost to the point of a panic/anxiety attack because I had no idea what was going on and why I was having trouble breathing. I believe that's why I got the chest pain and numbness of my limbs as well.

After the doctor said it was work related stress, when I got to the point of trouble breathing and getting dizzy, I would either sit down and calm myself down or go outside and get fresh air. Then a month later they tell us we have mold in our building.

I would say the target is already on your back. Could you work from home? If you ask and they say no, get a quality mask and wear it around the office. I bet you'll be working from home or from another location in no time.

Why do you say that? Because I have been emailing them about the results?
If they issue me a laptop, I would be able to work from home, but I doubt they would. If I didn't have to worry about paying bills, I'd wear a gas mask around the office.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I would definitely consider asking your doctor about your troubles being mold related before causing too much trouble. If the doctor says yes, and it turns out they have the type of mold that causes your symptoms, you've got a pretty good case for osha if they still refuse to put you in a safe work environment.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
There are others, but they blame it on allergies and sinuses. Throughout the day you can hear people hacking crap up and it's been like that since I started working here in late 2014.

As for the symptoms, the dizziness and shortness of breath is what I get a lot of. Before going to the ER, I would freak out almost to the point of a panic/anxiety attack because I had no idea what was going on and why I was having trouble breathing. I believe that's why I got the chest pain and numbness of my limbs as well.

After the doctor said it was work related stress, when I got to the point of trouble breathing and getting dizzy, I would either sit down and calm myself down or go outside and get fresh air. Then a month later they tell us we have mold in our building.

Why do you say that? Because I have been emailing them about the results?
If they issue me a laptop, I would be able to work from home, but I doubt they would. If I didn't have to worry about paying bills, I'd wear a gas mask around the office.

Sorry to hear you're going through this.

Since there are multiple cases and the company is not responding to an issue of this magnitude, I'd call OSHA ASAP. If this was a singular case, OSHA probably wouldn't do much. But, if it affects a larger percentage of the staff, then it becomes easier for them to investigate and start going after the company.

Good luck and keep us posted on what the company decides to do and if you are forced to reach out to OSHA for assistance. Stay healthy man.

MachJoe

Established Member
Well I finally got word back. They pulled me aside and told me face to face instead of email. They found mold on ceiling tiles, on the walls and under the tile and gave me the option to relocate to the new facility. Needless to say, I'm packing up all my stuff right now.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Well I finally got word back. They pulled me aside and told me face to face instead of email. They found mold on ceiling tiles, on the walls and under the tile and gave me the option to relocate to the new facility. Needless to say, I'm packing up all my stuff right now.

Are they letting everyone know and giving everyone the option, or just you? I'm hoping they pulled you aside to give the notification a more personable, and caring feel and they will give everyone an option. It really shouldn't be an option though. Everyone should have to move.

MachJoe

Established Member
Are they letting everyone know and giving everyone the option, or just you? I'm hoping they pulled you aside to give the notification a more personable, and caring feel and they will give everyone an option. It really shouldn't be an option though. Everyone should have to move.

They sent out an email about 5 minutes ago stating that they will hold a meeting this Friday to discuss the remediation.
As you can imagine, everyone is now freaking out including my boss.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
They sent out an email about 5 minutes ago stating that they will hold a meeting this Friday to discuss the remediation.
As you can imagine, everyone is now freaking out including my boss.

Do they have anywhere else that can accommodate everyone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blown 89

Established Member
I'd go to a doctor before you do anything because that's the first thing your employer will ask if you tell them you're sick

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
As was mentioned , a workers comp claim would have been your best avenue , this will keep a target off your back, and pay for your medical bills .
Still not a bad idea , to ensure you are covered , should you have further symptoms from your exposure .

Users who are viewing this thread