Mods to get to 400+ HP, N/A???

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
MarauderTJA said:
You are right, the higher numbers 500+ are using race gas (100 octane) tunes. But everything is in the tune. .
Ofcourse everything is in the tunes. because with a race gas engine tune, the ignition timing advance is considerably greater, and that timing advance MUST be used with 100+ octane gas ONLY. To run the car on such a tune with 93 octane gas would eventually destroy the engine due to serious pinging.

I bet you would be hard pressed to even name one Marauder that gets consistently into the 11's on PUMP gas alone which also has ONE power adder and not both Nitrous & supercharger together. And my point is NOT being made to discredit anyone, nor to talk down about their cars. It's only being made to help keep peoples' expectations realistic. Particularly people like "Crispy" who are interested in a daily driven Marauder like I have.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Thank You!!!

This info is great. I can definitely turn my own wrench (I've owned 10 Mustangs & 2 Shelbys, plus a large assortment of other performance Fords over the years, doing my own work on the classics 95% of the time, including engine rebuilds & drivetrain mods, interior work, electrical to name a few). I haven't worked much on the newer models because I had warranty, & traded often so I wanted to get a little more up to speed on this. I plan to run it on pump gas for the street.

I did read your posts on the cars you raced, BillyGman. That definitely made me sit up and take notice! :rockon:

I want to make it a point to thank: Billy Gman, Marauder TJA, Defyant, The Wraith, Smokie, 2Marauders, carfixer, vicmaster, ddurnan, & dew34
for all the input you gave me. You guys have the experiences I was looking for to start my research with. :beer:

Yeah, this is just the beginning of my research, so I have a way to go on this. I have the time as I don't plan to purchase anything until springtime. I live in NH, so I'll hibernate through the winter & do my research. :sleeping:

Thanks again for all of your input! I'll be lurking here for sure...

Last edited:

MarauderTJA

# 2 Procharger Marauder
Established Member
BillyGman said:
Ofcourse everything is in the tunes. because with a race gas engine tune, the ignition timing advance is considerably greater, and that timing advance MUST be used with 100+ octane gas ONLY. To run the car on such a tune with 93 octane gas would eventually destroy the engine due to serious pinging.

I bet you would be hard pressed to even name one Marauder that gets consistently into the 11's on PUMP gas alone which also has ONE power adder and not both Nitrous & supercharger together. And my point is NOT being made to discredit anyone, nor to talk down about their cars. It's only being made to help keep peoples' expectations realistic. Particularly people like "Crispy" who are interested in a daily driven Marauder like I have.

Billy, I did not feel at all that your intention was to discredit anyone. Both of us and others have our opinions and it all helps Crispy with his research. And I totally agree, any Marauder running consistant in the 11's would have a 100 octane race tune as well as nitrous or methanol injection. You and I both drive our cars daily. I have 23K on my car already which was purchased July 04. Either way, blown Marauders can be set up to be excellent daily drivers as well as fun cars at the track that commands respect. It all boils down to what you want in a car.

Last edited:

Smokie

Established Member
Smokie said:
...In the interest of fairness; I also had the opportunnity up close to observe a Vortech S/C car one of the MM. members has that puts out about 500 hp to wheels on regular 93 octane, this car is also quiet, perfect idle great manners...yet it ran 11.6 at over 115 mph in 100+ degree Florida heat. The owner is a car guy that turns his own wrench.

Crispy In regards to the above statement, I doubled checked with the car owner and the statement is accurate, but it needs clarification. Dyno numbers are on pump gas as stated, he uses RACE GAS at the track.

Best wishes on your decision.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
Smokie said:
Crispy In regards to the above statement, I doubled checked with the car owner and the statement is accurate, but it needs clarification. Dyno numbers are on pump gas as stated, he uses RACE GAS at the track.

Best wishes on your decision.

Thanks for the info, Smokie! very interesting...

vicmaster

DOHC 32v 4 door rules!
Established Member
Woops! That was back in the day when I wasn't schooled on the MM and didn't own one. Did you end up getting one crispy?

Users who are viewing this thread