Mods to a 99?

Stangcobra99

Hey guys, i am new to the forum and i needed some advice. My dad just picked up a 99 Cobra Red/tan leather 5 speed with only 34k on it in mint condition. I was thinking about buying it from him and turning it into a beast. What suggestions do you have about inexpensive mods to give some extra hp? Thanks in advance.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Welcome man!!

Well, inexpensive mods..

I always recommend a Shifter! Best mod I ever did.

Gears "might not be as cheap of a mod"
Take out the Air Silencer
a X or Hpipe, possibly a catback.. again not so cheap but still good.

Shawn

willyum

Fast Enough!
Established Member
Yep! I went with a 5.0 shifter. You will probably want to add some sub-frame connectors, strut tower brace, and maybe some new mufflers. If money is no object, get an X-pipe, like Shawn said and the entire catback system. You want your new Cobra to growl! There are plenty of other mods that will enhance your ride. I started with my suspension first. Enjoy!

William:thumbsup:

supersp0rt

Established Member
well id say if a beast is what you want then you need to go the forced induction route. if the piggy bank permits however. look into S/C kits w/aftercoolers and look into turbo kits as well. if you want a mega-beast look into aggressive heads/cam packages and then strap on a 9psi blower w/aftercooler and a 150 shot of N2O.

Nino

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
There are a few cheap and even free mods you can do. You can trim the air silencer to allow more air to enter the intake. Some people do a resistor mod where they insert a 5 cent resistor into the intake air temperature sensor to trick the computer into adding more timing to the ignition system. You can pick up an off-road mid-pipe (H or X) for less than $200. You can also weld in some mufflers for around $200. There's a lot of stuff you can get for less than $200, like pulleys, timing adjuster, intake tube, K&N filter, etc. Of course all of these parts add up quickly. But probably one of the things you should seriously consider doing is switching to 4.30 gears. This will make such a huge difference in the way the car performs that it's incredible.

Good luck.

Stangcobra99

Great. Thanks for all the ideas guys. My dad doesn't want to sell me the car now :mj: He wants to keep it for himself :rollseyes I said "Dad, do you honestly think you will drive that car the way it was meant to be driven?" He said "I chirped them going into second today :eek: . So i will just drive the thing when he lets me, and let him have fun with it until he decides to sell it. Then i will pick it up. Thanks guys, i will continue to check out these forums thought.

DarrenT99Cobra

There are some mods that you end up using every day like a shifter. I went with Pro 5.0 and you use it every time you drive. An x-pipe is the same. I recently installed an aluminum driveshaft and it's beautify, but I don't hardly see it unless it's on a rack or on jackstands.

Go with any shifter as your second mod after a K&N with silencer removal.

Users who are viewing this thread