Mods not right

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
I finished all of my bolt ons yesterday and loaded the tune today. I data logged it just as Lund said too do. Idled a bit, then two part throttle pulls from 2500-4500rpm’s. Then one WOT from 2500-6500rpm. Then let idle again and stopped logging. About to email the data log to lund. Do they have to “tweek” the tune for it to have any power? It is smooth, but very sluggish with less power than before the mods and tune! Concerns me a bit. Any thoughts? Thanks.

HPLouis

Established Member
This is just me and I'm not a professional tuner, just a guy with the SCT software so take it with a grain of salt.

When I'm datalogging, I pull tons of timing so I can focus on getting my MAF spot on. The car is a dog since I knocked out so much timing. Once I get the MAF right, then I slowly start to add timing back.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I finished all of my bolt ons yesterday and loaded the tune today. I data logged it just as Lund said too do. Idled a bit, then two part throttle pulls from 2500-4500rpm’s. Then one WOT from 2500-6500rpm. Then let idle again and stopped logging. About to email the data log to lund. Do they have to “tweek” the tune for it to have any power? It is smooth, but very sluggish with less power than before the mods and tune! Concerns me a bit. Any thoughts? Thanks.

He's not giving you any timing yet until he goes through your tune and ensures everything looks good.

DO NOT WORRY. lol

I had Lund tune my GT500 to 643 whp and now my 2018 S550 to 913 whp.

It can take like 5 revisions (back and forth sending him a log, then he sends you a revised tune) before he gives you the full power.

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
He's not giving you any timing yet until he goes through your tune and ensures everything looks good.

DO NOT WORRY. lol

It can take like 5 revisions (back and forth sending him a log, then he sends you a revised tune) before he gives you the full power.
That makes sense. Thanks man!

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
What mods did you do?
Just the basic bolt ons to start.

-VMP 69mm throttle body
-JLT 123mm COI
-VMP 2.4 upper w/ 90mm idler
-reische 170 degree t stat
-NGK BR7EF sparkers
-Lethal 3” stainless off road H pipe
-Lund ngauge
- Lund email custom tune
Gonna do my third logging revision tomorrow...
I had previously installed the MGW short throw shifter (love it)
And a good set of drag radials (NT555R’s)
After my tune is perfected gonna swap the rear gears with a set of ford racing 4.10’s
Im thinking she should be a decent contender at that point.
Im excited to finally start. I have effectively probably scrapped my warranty at this point, but I couldnt stand it any longer!

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member

DO NOT WORRY. lol

You were spot on gimmie11’s. He said we will add timing after he get the tunes air/fuel maps dialed in.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice! Looks like a great mod list.

That thing is gonna blast you into the seat back!!!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Ill post my results when I get the tune finalized with lund (hopefully tomorrow). I had to start the datalogging process all over again after 3 back and forth sessions because both sides on my cat delete/h pipe were leaking above the 02 sensors at the manifolds, giving me inaccurate data. I finally used new locking nuts & washers to keep them from backing off again. Man the h pipe sounds awesome. Perfect tone and volume for me. I was gonna put borla super snake mufflers on it a couple of months back. I decided to wait until I installed the cat delete/h pipe (at catmonkey’s suggestion) and I am SO glad I did. It would have been too loud for me with both. Im getting too old I guess! For those who want an ole’ school muscle car sound, with zero drone, I highly recommend the stock mufflers on the 2013 with the Lethal H pipe. The X pipe is just a bit raspy for my taste with the GT500’s. Just my opinion anyway.

HPLouis

Established Member
How does your duty cycle for your injectors and fuel pump look? I was thinking of getting a 2.4 pulley but I'm worried that my injectors or FP might not be able to handle it.

Jam421

Jam421
Established Member
When Lund tuned my car for a KB Mono Blade the first couple of pulls were 2500-4500rpm just to test for wrench lights & driveability. Each successive pull / datalog brought up rpms. Then come the WOT stabs to redline. All told we did 6-7 pulls. With the mod my motor pulled real good up top but mid-range up 3000-5500 it felt a bit flat compared to my old Twin Blade TB. A custom tune shop did a tune eval where we found AFR was mid-10's low 11's. Custom shop past dyno pulls had AFR in mid 11's-12.2/ I requested Lund bring AFR to those parameters & signed a waiver for Lund's 93 Octane Race Tune. After that tweak my power curves were UP everywhere from 2800-6500rpm. Just Awesome.

Last edited:

HPLouis

Established Member
When Lund tuned my car for a KB Mono Blade the first couple of pulls were 2500-4500rpm just to test for wrench lights & driveability. Each successive pull / datalog brought up rpms. Then come the WOT stabs to redline. All told we did 6-7 pulls. With the mod my motor pulled real good up top but mid-range up 3000-5500 it felt a bit flat compared to my old Twin Blade TB. A custom tune shop did a tune eval where we found AFR was mid-10's low 11's. Custom shop past dyno pulls had AFR in mid 11's-12.2/ I requested Lund bring AFR to those parameters & signed a waiver for Lund's 93 Octane Race Tune. After that tweak my power curves were UP everywhere from 2800-6500rpm. Just Awesome.

For both you and the OP, I see you both have 2.4 pulleys and no BAP or injectors. I guess the stock fuel system can handle a smaller pulley.

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
How does your duty cycle for your injectors and fuel pump look? I was thinking of getting a 2.4 pulley but I'm worried that my injectors or FP might not be able to handle it.
Unsure. After lund finishes the tune, I am going to have Kurgan dyno tune and look at it all good for me. Then have him explain all of the risk/reward and performance parameters to me. Im a decent mechanic and understand tune in principle, but definitely not my area of expertise.

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
However VMP, Lethal, and many other performance shops sale all such pulley/boost kits and parts for ise on the factory setups.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
For both you and the OP, I see you both have 2.4 pulleys and no BAP or injectors. I guess the stock fuel system can handle a smaller pulley.
Correct, it can handle even into the low mid 700s stock.
The fuel filter swap to a Canton CM helps get over 800rwhp with BAPs.
Pretty stout stock.
-J

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Unsure. After lund finishes the tune, I am going to have Kurgan dyno tune and look at it all good for me.
Then have him explain all of the risk/reward and performance parameters to me. Im a decent mechanic and understand tune in principle, but definitely not my area of expertise.
If you have a tuner local to you, why even play around with Lund ??

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
If you have a tuner local to you, why even play around with Lund ??
I needed a new ngauge anyway and the lund tune came with the upgrades I purchased from lethal. Gonna see how good they can dial it in before I go to Kurgans for a dyno and safelty check.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I needed a new ngauge anyway and the lund tune came with the upgrades I purchased from lethal. Gonna see how good they can dial it in before I go to Kurgans for a dyno and safelty check.
Didn't I read that the Ngauge Lund sells can only be used with " his " tunes, I could be wrong, I'd check..

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
Didn't I read that the Ngauge Lund sells can only be used with " his " tunes, I could be wrong, I'd check..
Good question. Im unsure. I do know that when I went to see Kurgan with my last car, he said I needed and ngauge instaed of the one I had at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread