ModMax Stroker fo 4.6?

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
:shrug:

Anybody done it or considering it?I have a blower fund and gettin pretty close,but this 4.6 to 5.0 stroker kit sounds real tempting and costs about the same....Comes with everything you need,and the internals would be forged pieces ....:burnout: Can you say 14 and up psi afterwards......BOOYAH!!!!! .... C-YA Mr.03......:D

White98SVT

Established Member
Originally posted by 28 fangs
:shrug:

Anybody done it or considering it?I have a blower fund and gettin pretty close,but this 4.6 to 5.0 stroker kit sounds real tempting and costs about the same....Comes with everything you need,and the internals would be forged pieces ....:burnout: Can you say 14 and up psi afterwards......BOOYAH!!!!! .... C-YA Mr.03......:D

We need some more info on this...I really haven't heard about it. The only one I know about is the Sean Hyland kit.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The Mod max strokers come a couple different ways.

The "Bigbore" blocks. Which are supposed to be like 304 ci.
A 3.7 bore on standard 3.54 stroke.

The "Bigbore stroker" Which is supposed to be 324 ci.
A 3.7 bore with a 3.765 stroke.

In both cases the block is desleeved, bored , then resleeved.
In both cases you can send them your block or buy one outright. You can buy it assembled, or put it together yourself. In either case, good internals , gaskets and fasteners are included in the kits.

Check out their site for more detailed info. CLICK HERE

Last edited:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
They also have stroker kits with .020/.030 over bores and 3.55 inch strokes. I'm personally gonna do a shm resleeved 3.70 inch block with a standard stroke. Wynnspeed, modmax and livernoise all have strokers/big bore blocks, all with forged parts. prices are usually in the 3500-5000 range for shortblocks, and about 3500 for the stroker kits. The shm block is the only one that I know for sure is an aluminum block-the others don't say if they're aluminum or iron. I figure if I send in my block that will shave off around 1000-1500 off the 5000 shm price. With stock heads, some cams, all the usual boltons, and some tuning it'll be good for at least 360rwhp. Toss a 150 shot on there for the big dogs and I've got one hell of a street motor. The blower route would be much easier-but more costly me thinks-figure 1500 or so for internals,4000 for the blower kit,an 1500 intercooler and tunning and it turns into a 8000+ dollar adventure.

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Modmax uses the aluminum. Any other companies doing a resleeved stroker have to use the aluminum block. The iron blocks are not being used as "bigbore" style blocks from anyone I know of. Even WynnSpeed is using aluminum blocks. The aluminum are the only ones that can be done this way for the 4.6 Yes you can do a .020 or .030 over iron block, but not the 3.7 bore size.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Thats what I'd heard (about the aluminum bores) but was unsure-- sweet- wynnespeeds got shortblocks for like $3700. I'm closer than I thought. hehe 1 shortblock, cams,boltons and spray hehehehehehe

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Originally posted by E. Green Cobra
Thats what I'd heard (about the aluminum bores) but was unsure-- sweet- wynnespeeds got shortblocks for like $3700. I'm closer than I thought. hehe 1 shortblock, cams,boltons and spray hehehehehehe

Yep I hear 1955 calling :thumbsup:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by E. Green Cobra
They also have stroker kits with .020/.030 over bores and 3.55 inch strokes. I'm personally gonna do a shm resleeved 3.70 inch block with a standard stroke. Wynnspeed, modmax and livernoise all have strokers/big bore blocks, all with forged parts. prices are usually in the 3500-5000 range for shortblocks, and about 3500 for the stroker kits. The shm block is the only one that I know for sure is an aluminum block-the others don't say if they're aluminum or iron. I figure if I send in my block that will shave off around 1000-1500 off the 5000 shm price. With stock heads, some cams, all the usual boltons, and some tuning it'll be good for at least 360rwhp. Toss a 150 shot on there for the big dogs and I've got one hell of a street motor. The blower route would be much easier-but more costly me thinks-figure 1500 or so for internals,4000 for the blower kit,an 1500 intercooler and tunning and it turns into a 8000+ dollar adventure.

You won't save money by sending your block to SHM they require a core exchange.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You can buy a 300ci or a 318 ci short or long block from them. They only knock off about 800 for a core. The outright price on the 300 ci is like $5000.00 for the short block and like $7500.00 for the 318 shortblock.

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
Livernoise has a 358cid comin out- I thought it was gonna be based on the 5.4 block - but the way it was written in 5.0mag they were usin a big bore (3.70in) block stuffed a navigator crank at 4.16in, I guess in an aluminum cobra block. !!!!

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Nope that is the 5.4 block. Unless you add deck height to a 4.6 it can't support a 4 inch stroke. The pistons would be smacking the sparkplugs, or maybe even the lower intake. ;-) A 5.933 inch rod is the stock rod length. If you went shorter with the rod to help the clearances, your rod ratios (rod length devided by stroke) would be horrible. They need to be atleast a 1.5 to keep the piston skirt from digging into the side of the sleeve. Stock is a 1.67
:beer:

E. Green Cobra

Bounced in the 1st!
Established Member
hmm thats what I was thinkin- shm was advertising a 330 cube 4.6 but they didnt do it. I guess I'll just have to wait on ford racings aluminum 5.4 then. but then I need to do a hood too.

Users who are viewing this thread