Modified fpdm and bap or dual fpdms?

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Im making the switch to e85. Aiming for 700whp. Ill be running a whipple 2.3, gen 1 with 21-23 psi. I have enroute a fore hat, dual gt pumps,-8 line, fittings, and a modified fpdm. Ill be using stock rails, and trading my 60s for 80s. Can I use the modified fpdm and a bap, or will i have to get the dual fpdm? Thanks in advance.

Black306

Established Member
A dual FPDM conversion does not replace a BAP. A modified FPDM or a dual FPDM conversion are done to handle the increased current demand of the GT fuel pumps. A BAP is basically a voltage booster increasing the performance of the pumps. A BAP can be used with a modified FPDM or dual FPDM conversion.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
You can run the Modified FPDM and BAP, but the Dual Set Up might give you a lower Duty Cycle.

I run the Dual FPDM set up currently along with the Fore Hat, Twin GT Pumps, Wiring Upgraded, BAP set @ 50, -8 Line to the rails, 80# injectors with a raised FP of 50 PSI I am between 81-82% FPDC MAX.

I tuned a friends car with the same set up but with a Modified FPDM and we saw 98% FPDC MAX.

Hope this helps a little.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
You can run the Modified FPDM and BAP, but the Dual Set Up might give you a lower Duty Cycle.

I run the Dual FPDM set up currently along with the Fore Hat, Twin GT Pumps, Wiring Upgraded, BAP set @ 50, -8 Line to the rails, 80# injectors with a raised FP of 50 PSI I am between 81-82% FPDC MAX.

I tuned a friends car with the same set up but with a Modified FPDM and we saw 98% FPDC MAX.

Hope this helps a little.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW!! When you said your friends car was the same set up, was that a reference to the blower and fuel set up, or just fuel? If its the same blower/boost combo, no need to answer the following. What power level is your friends car at? Twin screw car? Amount of boost?

When you say you run the wiring upgrade, are you talking about the dual fpdm wiring upgrade or the bap wiring upgrade? Id like to see a detailed wiring diagram of your set up, with the bap.

Last edited:

Black306

Established Member
This is a diagram I made for people that were interested in how to wire a BAP with dual FPDMs. If I'm not mistaken, this is very similar to how 04sleeper has his car setup.

dual_fpdm_wiring_with_bap.jpg

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW!! When you said your friends car was the same set up, was that a reference to the blower and fuel set up, or just fuel?
Blower and fuel. (Gen 1 Whipple.)

If its the same blower/boost combo, no need to answer the following. What power level is your friends car at? Twin screw car? Amount of boost?
700 RWHP. Gen 1 Whipple 2.3, 22 psi.

When you say you run the wiring upgrade, are you talking about the dual fpdm wiring upgrade or the bap wiring upgrade?
BAP wiring upgrade, and wiring to the pumps upgrade.

Id like to see a detailed wiring diagram of your set up, with the bap.
See Below.

This is a diagram I made for people that were interested in how to wire a BAP with dual FPDMs. If I'm not mistaken, this is very similar to how 04sleeper has his car setup.

dual_fpdm_wiring_with_bap.jpg
Very similar except I used a 50 amp Relay and 12 gauge from the FPDM's to the pumps. I also used an 8 gauge wire to the BAP from the battery instead of the 10 gauge.

All grounds were the same common ground where the factory FPDM grounds.

RangerTuckn20z

Behemoth
Established Member
I switched to a duel setup. I got pretty much what a gt500 comes with. My thought on that was if it could make the power with that set-up then why couldn't I do the same. I have duel FPDM's and a gt500 BAP and twin gt pumps. Has worked great so far.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
04, any idea on the current draw on the 30A circuit from the battery? Do you ever blow that fuse? What happens if you do blow it? If each fpdm is capable of 20+ amps at the same time, conventional electrical wisdom tells us that a 30A circuit, isnt large enough. A 50A fused circuit and 50A relay would be much more ideal.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Since you are running the power for the FPDM's off the BAP, you already have the upgraded wire and fuse/relay.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Since you are running the power for the FPDM's off the BAP, you already have the upgraded wire and fuse/relay.

I have a 30 amp circuit now, if the 2 fpdms draw 20+ amps, the 30 amp circuit isn't large enough. That's why i asked if u ever blow the 30amp fuse. If u don't, then the fpdms don't actually pull 20+ amps and a 50 amp relay would be over kill in that situation.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I have a 30 amp circuit now, if the 2 fpdms draw 20+ amps, the 30 amp circuit isn't large enough. That's why i asked if u ever blow the 30amp fuse. If u don't, then the fpdms don't actually pull 20+ amps and a 50 amp relay would be over kill in that situation.
OK. I see what you are saying.

No, I have never blown the 30 amp fuse on the BAP. I had the 50 amp relay already so I used it.

Silver03Termi

Established Member
Cool. Black306 told me the twin gt pumps draw about 23A total. A 30 amp circuit is sufficient, also, 14 awg wiring to the pumps should be sufficient too. Voltage drop for 12.5A on 20 ft of 14awg is about 4% with a BAP and 6% without it. 12awg would only be 2.7% and 4.1%, respectively.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Cool. Black306 told me the twin gt pumps draw about 23A total. A 30 amp circuit is sufficient, also, 14 awg wiring to the pumps should be sufficient too. Voltage drop for 12.5A on 20 ft of 14awg is about 4% with a BAP and 6% without it. 12awg would only be 2.7% and 4.1%, respectively.
The reason I went 12 gauge was because the Fore Hat comes with 12 gauge and I wanted to match it. I also added some solid pin deutsch connectors to the hat so I could remove the tank without having to cut wires. Even though the solid pin connectors have 0 voltage drop, I felt better using the 12 gauge.

Users who are viewing this thread