Modern Solution for Leaking Steering Rack?

NotSatisfied

Established Member
So I have done alot of research over the past week or so and it seems like Cardone was selling reman'd cobra racks but that supply has dried up now. It also seems complicated to strip the rack down and rebuild on my own. My rack is leaking, has some play in it... and its time. What is the solution these days?

Thanks in advance!

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It would be your best bet to make sure you have a Cobra rack.

FWIW, I used to own an 01 Cobra and I felt no difference between it and any of the 03/04's I've driven.

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
I always planned on just going with a new rack and buying whatever is available. Finding a cobra specific one is impossible, and who knows if you are actually getting a genuine cobra rack. It is what it is....as mentioned above, I doubt you notice a difference.

DCguy

Established Member
I would check with Griggs. They have a lot of racks on the website..

I bought an AGR Cobra R rack but haven't had a chance to run it yet.....came with 14mm zinc plated inner tie rods and I had them install AN fittings. It looks like a nice piece, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

If you can find a factory 03/04 rack somewhere I would go with that. Worth a shot to make a run to the local Ford dealer as they can search a national database....if another dealer has the rack they can order it for you.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
I would check with Griggs. They have a lot of racks on the website..

I bought an AGR Cobra R rack but haven't had a chance to run it yet.....came with 14mm zinc plated inner tie rods and I had them install AN fittings. It looks like a nice piece, but they seem to be out of stock everywhere.

If you can find a factory 03/04 rack somewhere I would go with that. Worth a shot to make a run to the local Ford dealer as they can search a national database....if another dealer has the rack they can order it for you.
He said they have some units but would have to change out the input shaft to a 36spline etc- would be north of a grand $

NotSatisfied

Established Member
IMG_9403.JPG

I just realized I’m missing this tube that connects each side. Is that why I am seeing weeping oil?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I've always assumed the tube had something to do with balancing air pressure between the boots. But I'm not that smart so who knows.

There shouldn't be any fluid in the boots either way. The seals in the end of the rack must be shot.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
o1yellercobra is 100% correct. There should not be any fluid in the boots. The rack seals are leaking. Back in they when I was a ford tech we replied leaking racks and I did many of them. Now no dealerships repair them, they just replace them. Rebuilding a power rack and pinion is labor intensive and would be too costly.

Users who are viewing this thread