Modem/Router Recommendations

roadracer247

Established Member
So we’ve got Comcast & have been using their unit. Feeling pretty stupid paying for this crap each month. Wanting to get more control and security. As well as more speed. We stream a ton onto our TV/laptops/phones. Two adults and a toddler. Not much gaming anymore, so that isn’t an issue. Our house is a single story ~1800 3/2 open concept. Oh and it’s mostly Apple products in the house; except the big Sony tv, if that makes any difference.

jmsa540

Established Member
So we’ve got Comcast & have been using their unit. Feeling pretty stupid paying for this crap each month. Wanting to get more control and security. As well as more speed. We stream a ton onto our TV/laptops/phones. Two adults and a toddler. Not much gaming anymore, so that isn’t an issue. Our house is a single story ~1800 3/2 open concept. Oh and it’s mostly Apple products in the house; except the big Sony tv, if that makes any difference.
Huge difference; sony is tight.

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
I bought this router to replace the Comcast gateway. Its really nice and has lots of functionality built into it + an app so you can see things easily on your phone, 8 gigabit ports too.

For a modem, im using an Arris unit. It was less than $100 and could pull down the speeds I needed with my data plan.

No complaints other than I should have bought the shit right away instead of paying $10 a month.

ASUS AC3100 Wi-Fi Dual-band Gigabit Wireless Router with 4x4 MU-MIMO, 8 x LAN Ports, AiProtection Network Security and WTFast Game Accelerator, AiMesh Whole Home Wi-Fi System Compatible (RT-AC88U) - Newegg.com

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I use a Netgear Nighthawk AC3200 and it kicks ass.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
I use a Netgear Orbi setup. It's amazing but overkill for what you need. I'd get a Nighthawk like he ^ said.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member
Motorola MB8600 and Asus AC3100 here, handles everything I can throw at it without a sweat including VPN access with HD content, etc.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Hard to beat any of Netgear's Nighthawk model routers.
As for modem typically the "surfboard" (originally Motorola) has always been the goto cable modem. Just be sure to get "Dosis 3.1" if you want gigabit or faster internet now or in the future.

VENOM1

6.0MAN
Established Member
We also have Comcast and purchased a router/modem combination opposed to having two separate units. It’s been flawless with a ton of devices being used at once with our family of four.

fc13b0a7cd03347f4947ca51e14136fe.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I use a Netgear Nighthawk AC3200 and it kicks ass.

I have this or something similar grabbed from Costco for a decent deal. It's in pretty much the middle of the house and covers it just fine (around 1800sq ft as well).

I believe the modem linked from amazon is what we're using for that as well.

they both work pretty well

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You have phone with Comcast OP?
I bought my own stuff years ago, and it’s paid for itself over and over vs. paying the $10 a month for there stuff. I have their phone, so I needed a modem that would handle that too. I look tomorrow, but running a nighthawk router. Comcast was kinda pissy when I tried to activate my stuff, but it all was on their approved list.

GodStang

Established Member
Hard to beat any of Netgear's Nighthawk model routers.
As for modem typically the "surfboard" (originally Motorola) has always been the goto cable modem. Just be sure to get "Dosis 3.1" if you want gigabit or faster internet now or in the future.

That is not true. There are Docsis 3.0 that run over Gigbit speeds and you will pay way more for a good 3.1.

I have always used Surfboard and just bought the SB6190 last week along with a second ASUS router to do AiMesh which is awesome.

I would not recommend a dual modem/router setup for many reasons. The main one is if one craps out then both are trash and you have to replace both. What ever you get make sure you do a firmware upgrade immediately and then rest the router and then set it up. Also make sure what ever you get does not have a Puma 6 processor.

Blown 89

Established Member
Get a Surfboard Arris modem (which depends on what Comcast provides).

If you're tech savvy get the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite and one (or more if you need the coverage) of their Unifi access points. If you go this route you'll realize that everything listed thus far (consumer wifi) is absolute and utter rubbish. After years of cursing consumer grade products I went with something more prosumer/business grade and realized just how bad consumer wireless is. The last router I had was a Netgear Nighthawk which was ****ing aweful. And to back that up:
The title says it all: Review: Ubiquiti UniFi made me realize how terrible consumer Wi-Fi gear is

If you're not tech savvy I'd go with either the Ubiquiti AmpliFi mesh system or the Google wifi mesh system.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I switched from a Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (2-story colonial that requires a mesh system) to a Eero (mesh) router. It would be overkill for a one level, 1800 sq. ft. home. But I love it. Costs me around $400.

If you're interested in going with a Netgear Orbi, I have one available at our church that was used for literally a week. It was $355.00 new but the church would sell it for $175 shipped.

I also have my Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 that was used for about 6 months. Works perfect. It sells for $179 and it's available for $75 shipped.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
That is not true. There are Docsis 3.0 that run over Gigbit speeds and you will pay way more for a good 3.1.

I have always used Surfboard and just bought the SB6190 last week along with a second ASUS router to do AiMesh which is awesome.

I would not recommend a dual modem/router setup for many reasons. The main one is if one craps out then both are trash and you have to replace both. What ever you get make sure you do a firmware upgrade immediately and then rest the router and then set it up. Also make sure what ever you get does not have a Puma 6 processor.
True, on the top end with 32x8 channels it'll do 1.2gb, just most 3.0 modems and combos I see today are 24x8 or less ~960mb.

Sent from my Note9

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
TP Link Archer C5400 v2 is probably the king of wireless routers right now, but most likely overkill.

Pretty much, anything Asus, Netgear, or Linksys will be fine. Just make sure you get one that supports AC, N, and G

Equalbracket

Established Member

I bought the 6190 and it was horrible, have they fixed the latency stability? 6190 has the puma 6 chip.

GodStang

Established Member
I bought the 6190 and it was horrible, have they fixed the latency stability? 6190 has the puma 6 chip.

Dang it how did I miss that. I had the list open too... I was too busy trying to decide between the ASUS RT-AC86U and the ASUS RT-AC88U that I totally missed the 6190 on the list. Looks Like I will be sending it back to Amazon and getting a different Modem.

Thanks for the heads up!

Stanger00

Established Member
I agree with the people in here that say a mesh router system is overkill unless you want to have WiFi signal on most of your property.

I run netgear Orbi router in my home with netgear cm600 modem and it's been great.

I'm thinking my modem needs a firmware update or needs replaced because I'm getting some terrible lag more frequently and the modem is super hot when I check on it periodically.

We aren't super gamers or streaming lots of content but we have about 3-5 devices scrolling internet content and we have lag. It's irritating.

So don't buy this modem. The netgear nighthawk was my backup plan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread