Mod Questions

Homer Jay

Established Member
Hi everyone...I am a previous SVT owner (02 Lightning and 03 Cobra). I am thinking about joining the ranks again by purchasing an 07 GT500. It is used and has 1700 miles on it.

Here is the the story. Buying from a Chevrolet dealer (I am trading an 07 vette) and they have let me drive it until Tuesday. It seems to run great...very fast! I visually inspected it and found a Steeda blower pulley, Steeda CAI, Bassani exhaust, Steeda lowering springs, hood shocks, and Carrol Shelby 20in rims.

I have a few questions....
I keep reading you can't add the CAI without tuning the GT500. So I assume you can't put a pulley, CAI, and exhaust on without requiring a tune. Would this be a fair assumption?
I also would assume the previous owner used a Steeda flash tuner...but is there a way to tell? Are these only flashable or could a chip have been used? Are there more common ways for programming for mods that I could look for visually?
Lastly is the Steeda pulley (3 extra lbs of boost) a typical size used by forum members? I keep seeing a reference to 2.6" pullies but Steeda doesn't indicate the size of their pulley..

Sorry for the length, but I know you guys will be able to guide me in the right directions!

Thanks!

6-Speed

Established Member
I'll try to answer what I can.

There are some aftermarket CAIs that claim a tune is not needed but they tend to run lean, which is not good for these engines. Most folks run their CAI with a tune. Because of the additional boost provided by a pulley, I would not run w/o a tune. I don't believe a new tune is needed if you just add mufflers. You typically re-flash the PCM with a hand-held tuner connected to the OBD-II diagnostic link connector under the dash; no chip is required.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
There is no place for a chip on the GT500's PCM. Has to be flashed......At least I couldn't find any place for a chip.....

Evan5469

Established Member
I'd say if they're letting you have it until Tuesday, a good idea would be to see if you can get dynoed and check the air/fuel and the tune. You don't want to buy it, beat on it a little and have it break and then try to have warranty work done only to be rejected because of the mods.

6-Speed

Established Member
You might consider asking if your dealer can inquire with the seller of the car to see whether he/she still has the handheld tuner that came with the Steeda CAI. The stock PCM tune resides in that box just in case you ever want to return the car to stock.

Homer Jay

Established Member
You might consider asking if your dealer can inquire with the seller of the car to see whether he/she still has the handheld tuner that came with the Steeda CAI. The stock PCM tune resides in that box just in case you ever want to return the car to stock.

Good idea! I will ask the dealer tomorrow. This morning I called Steeda to inquire about the possibilities that I might not be able to acquire the original calibrator. According to Jim at Steeda if I purchase another SCT flasher from them they will be able to provide me with a stock tune. I am not sure how true that is but he seemed confident that it could be done.

manOwar

Established Member
Good idea! I will ask the dealer tomorrow. This morning I called Steeda to inquire about the possibilities that I might not be able to acquire the original calibrator. According to Jim at Steeda if I purchase another SCT flasher from them they will be able to provide me with a stock tune. I am not sure how true that is but he seemed confident that it could be done.
Homer,

looks like you have some guys handing it over to you!! Quite playing games and run what you brung!!

Where are you located?

6-Speed

Established Member
Lastly is the Steeda pulley (3 extra lbs of boost) a typical size used by forum members? I keep seeing a reference to 2.6" pullies but Steeda doesn't indicate the size of their pulley..
Thanks!
The Steeda GT500 Pulley PN 555-3345 is a 2.7" pulley. It's specified in their paper catalog.

Homer Jay

Established Member
Thanks for all the information guys.

Hey 6-speed, where in the phoenix area are you located? I don't see that many GT500's around here!

6-Speed

Established Member
I'm from Peoria. There are a few GT500s around here that I typically see at local car shows, but you're right, I don't see many on the street.

Did you purchased the car yet?

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
i would def. ask if you could at least talk to the previous owner, so that you can get some pertinent info. from him. especially on the tune, and especially WHO tuned it. they may even be willing to sell you the handheld tuner at a significant discount as it won't be any use to them since the tuner is married to that particular car.

Homer Jay

Established Member
I'm from Peoria. There are a few GT500s around here that I typically see at local car shows, but you're right, I don't see many on the street.

Did you purchased the car yet?

Yeah, I purchased it on Monday. It is great to finally have blower whine again!

:banana:

CDW63

Established Member
I am also in the Phoenix area, east valley (Chandler). Sorry to hijack the thread, but it would be nice to talk local with few GT 500 owners.

-Craig-

cobra4v

Hooked On SVT
Established Member
CDW63...Nice looking avatar. It really brings out the feel of Arizona.

Homer....Congrats on the Shelby GT500. I also miss the blower whine of my 03 Cobra but my 08 GT500 made me forget about the 03:)

Homer Jay

Established Member
I am also in the Phoenix area, east valley (Chandler). Sorry to hijack the thread, but it would be nice to talk local with few GT 500 owners.

-Craig-

No problem. I am also in the East Vallet (Mesa). It would be nice to know/talk with some local GT500 owners.

Users who are viewing this thread