• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Mobil1 "burn" easier?

Discussion in 'The Greasy Spoon' started by cbrown9064, Oct 24, 2015.

1. cbrown9064

cbrown9064 Member Established Member

Take a look at this thread. I can smell burning oil on high rpm decel. When autocrossing, no smoke on accel, but lazy blue smoke from tailpipe on decel through a sweeper.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1089760-Oil-smell-high-RPM-decel

it got me researching that perhaps the use of Mobil 1 is to blame? Some say certain vehicles use oil when they switch to M1 and stop when they switch to something else.

thoughts?

2. Black02GT

Black02GT *Not 2KBlackGT Established Member

I use mobil 1 (5-30) with no PCV (ran to a breather/separator tank). Definitely smell it, and on decel only like you mentioned. Haven't noticed exhaust smoke but my exhaust ends at the axle so who knows, I could imagine with the PCV it'd end up in the exhaust. Interesting info.

3. cbrown9064

cbrown9064 Member Established Member

Yeah...I have both valve covers routed to a catch can and end up with a yellowish clear fluid that smells like oil when I drain it.

Not going to get enough miles yet this year to test the theory, but will change to a different oil in the spring and see what happens...

4. Black02GT

Yeah, I was going to give Amsoil a shot when I got my transmission from them but good lord. Used to 2*.00 for 5 quarts at Walmart for M1, Amsoil was like $12-14 a quart. $90 for oil alone is rough.

5. UnleashedBeast

UnleashedBeast Engine Lubrication Guru Established Member

Preferred Customers buy Amsoil Signature Series at $8.00 per quart. You can't compare cheap group III hydroccracked petroleum (Mobil 1) to a true group IV PAO - group V Ester blend like Amsoil Signature Series.

6. Black02GT

Yeah I talked to Bacon and he has a decent deal. Ends up my smell I believe is head gasket related.

7. Black*Death

Black*Death Sleeping Established Member

Is RP HPS Group III or Group IV PAO? The "regular" RP is group III...to my knowledge anyway?

8. UnleashedBeast

UnleashedBeast Engine Lubrication Guru Established Member

Great question, the way it was shearing last year on oil analysis....there is no way it was a true synthetic.

9. RonShipman

RonShipman Banned

mobil is thin, builds heat then burns baby burns