Mobil to amsoil makes sludge

lilmarauder

Established Member
My cobra is due for it's first oil change since my purchasing of it. So I made a little bit of a drive to a speed shop that sells amsoil. I want to switch to the signature series for a longer drain interval. I grab my six quarts of 5w20 and go to pay. The guy looks at my car, and asks if I have been using Mobil 1. I said that's what the previous owner has been using. His eyes went huge and he said oh no oh no, you can't use amsoil then. Dumbfounded, I asked why. He said that his amsoil sales rep told him that if a person has been using Mobil 1 and proceeds to use amsoil that it will create a sludge/goop from the chemicals reacting to each other. "it only happens with Mobil 1" he claimed. So he turned down a 70 or so dollar sale. I couldn't believe it. we talked for a few and I left. I immediately called amsoil and inquired about this and they laughed. They explained to me that even on the Mobil 1 website they say that it is compatible with all oils. I proceeded to become a preferred customer and ordered a case of 12 quarts and two filters shipped for 150 beans. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I searched but could not find any information on this.

Chris

GotBoost?!

Established Member
My cobra is due for it's first oil change since my purchasing of it. So I made a little bit of a drive to a speed shop that sells amsoil. I want to switch to the signature series for a longer drain interval. I grab my six quarts of 5w20 and go to pay. The guy looks at my car, and asks if I have been using Mobil 1. I said that's what the previous owner has been using. His eyes went huge and he said oh no oh no, you can't use amsoil then. Dumbfounded, I asked why. He said that his amsoil sales rep told him that if a person has been using Mobil 1 and proceeds to use amsoil that it will create a sludge/goop from the chemicals reacting to each other. "it only happens with Mobil 1" he claimed. So he turned down a 70 or so dollar sale. I couldn't believe it. we talked for a few and I left. I immediately called amsoil and inquired about this and they laughed. They explained to me that even on the Mobil 1 website they say that it is compatible with all oils. I proceeded to become a preferred customer and ordered a case of 12 quarts and two filters shipped for 150 beans. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this? I searched but could not find any information on this.

Chris

Wow,what a bunch of nonsense. Amazing what people are employed at over the counter stores,shops,etc. You can make the switch at any time with no sludge problems,etc.

lilmarauder

Established Member
That's what I thought. Amsoil tech said that whoever that sales rep is, he is clearly misinterpreting the product. It worked out good because I paid less for it in the end. As soon as it get to my door it's going in.

GotBoost?!

Established Member
That's what I thought. Amsoil tech said that whoever that sales rep is, he is clearly misinterpreting the product. It worked out good because I paid less for it in the end. As soon as it get to my door it's going in.

:thumbsup:
It'll be awsome oil for that cold Michigan weather.

GotBoost?!

Established Member
Yea it's getting cold now. Insurance goes off on Monday

If your putting the car in storage,I'd change the oil after you get it out of storage.
Thats what I've always done with my mustang. I've always washed/waxed car,removed battery and left it under a car cover til the last snowflake melted,

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member

Chris

This is almost the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Had a 2008 Mustang GT that used only Mobil 1 5W-20 for the first 30,000 miles. Then was immediately switched to Amsoil AZO 0W-30. The engine was super clean inside.

I mean, if he was so worried about that....why didn't he simply add this to your order as a pre-prep before Amsoil went in?

Engine Cleaner

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
He said that his amsoil sales rep told him that if a person has been using Mobil 1 and proceeds to use amsoil that it will create a sludge/goop from the chemicals reacting to each other. "it only happens with Mobil 1" he claimed.
:dw:
This is almost the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.
x2!.

If your putting the car in storage,I'd change the oil after you get it out of storage.
I'm forced to politely disagree. According to the Owner's Manual for my GT500, "The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage, as used engine oil contains contaminates that may cause engine damage." I don't see this varying by vehicle, so I recommend a change BEFORE you store the car.

lilmarauder

Established Member
Yea the whole thing is pretty ridiculous. I didn't believe the guy, But I called anyway.

As for changing after or before storage, the opinions seem half and half. The way I look at it is the oil need to be changed,and amsoil says the signature is 25,000 normal, 15,000 hard use, or one year. I can change it before it gets put away, get it back out In the spring, drive it all summer because it will maybe get 5k miles put on it, and change it next October before I put it away.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I'm forced to politely disagree. According to the Owner's Manual for my GT500, "The engine oil and filter should be changed prior to storage, as used engine oil contains contaminates that may cause engine damage." I don't see this varying by vehicle, so I recommend a change BEFORE you store the car.

I agree with you. Engine oil should be changed before the car is put into storage. You want fresh, non-contaminated oil in the sump throughout the winter. If you are using a top tier lubricant like Amsoil Signature Series, all you do is take the car for a long drive in the Spring to condition the lubricant for use all season long. Once a year oil changes, even storing the car, is easily achieved.

lilmarauder

Established Member
Oh, another Thing that this wizard of car care told me is that all different viscosities of oil are the same. "When you drain it, it all pours out just as fast. Amsoil should just make one weight of oil"

5.0Flareside

Established Member
Oh my god.. Most absurd thing I've heard in a long time..

And yes the oil should be changed before storage as contaminants are acidic and can eat into the metal if stored with old oil too long..

SVTDice

Established Member
Umm, yeah.....this guy is clueless.

+100 I wouldnt take an ounce of advice from that guy. Don't worry though I had somebody once tell me "Oil filters are useless because all the dirty oil falls to the bottom of the pan anyways"

:kaboom::cuss::kaboom:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
That guy hasn't heard if a few things apparently..

Needs to get out from behind the parts counter and go mop a floor or something...

You'd be shocked at ASE certified mechanics more than parts store employees. Most would expect them to have basic understanding of lubrication technology, not even close.

That's why when I hear someone say, "The service writer and ASE Mech. told me to use ONLY Motorcraft", it makes me chuckle inside.

SixPak

Established Member
You'd be shocked at ASE certified mechanics more than parts store employees. Most would expect them to have basic understanding of lubrication technology, not even close.

That's why when I hear someone say, "The service writer and ASE Mech. told me to use ONLY Motorcraft", it makes me chuckle inside.

I had a 'Petrolium Transfer Technician' try to tell me that if I put my 100% pure synthetic oil in my car as opposed to Motorcrafts Synthetic Blend that I would be voiding my new car warranty.
I politely told him that if it came to that, that I would gladly deal with FoMoCo myself. Now put the Redline in the crankcase.

Users who are viewing this thread