MMR Adjustable timing kit questions.

Outonyou

Established Member
Ive tried searching to no avail. So now I am reaching out to you...

I have a mmr fully adjustable timing sprocket set, and I'm about to degree my very first 4.6 dohc. I purchased everything from MMR and NOTHING came with instructions at all!!! I have a question concerning the Keyways that are provided in the kit. The keyway on the secondary sprockets stick out further than the actual cam sprocket and the relief in the cam spacer is not deep enough to accept the keyway. What is the appropriate repair for this situation? Should I (1) machine down the keyway, (2) file the relief deeper, (3) or remove the keyway all together as I'll be degreeing the cams any ways? I have stock cams with arp Bolts, MMR heavy duty secondary chains, factory primary chains and pac springs and retainers. Im not looking to bash MMR here, Im looking for a resolution to this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Ive tried searching to no avail. So now I am reaching out to you...

I have a mmr fully adjustable timing sprocket set, and I'm about to degree my very first 4.6 dohc. I purchased everything from MMR and NOTHING came with instructions at all!!! I have a question concerning the Keyways that are provided in the kit. The keyway on the secondary sprockets stick out further than the actual cam sprocket and the relief in the cam spacer is not deep enough to accept the keyway. What is the appropriate repair for this situation? Should I (1) machine down the keyway, (2) file the relief deeper, (3) or remove the keyway all together as I'll be degreeing the cams any ways? I have stock cams with arp Bolts, MMR heavy duty secondary chains, factory primary chains and pac springs and retainers. Im not looking to bash MMR here, Im looking for a resolution to this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't get the "warm and fuzzies" when getting a mod component that serves such a vital function that does not come with any documentation. Something going wrong here will have you writing big checks. Did you contact MMR regarding the not getting any information on installing their product correctly? Tractionless has a point regarding adjustable cam gears as they rely on slotted screw holes to hold timing without any positive locking like having an just accurately indexed keyway slots in the gears. You should not have to modify any component in the gear set you bought and if you do and it didn't come with instructions I would be very nervous installing something like that.

I have Cloyes adjustable cam gears and they did come with instruction. I agonized over adjustable cam gears but there is no silver bullet here but I have never heard of a Cloyes gear slip timing which to me seems to be the best design.

Users who are viewing this thread