MM subframes

termcobra281

Established Member
So I am putting together all my goodies for my 03 cobra starting with mm subframes on and when I line them up I notice they wont line with the factory subs off by 3/8th or so from lining and at that point I started looking around and realize my factory subframe has been pulled to the right, only thought I could come up with is the owner I had got the car from was hooking up pretty good and twisted it some, I did run a carfax and come to find out its clean no records of anything except 3 owners which the guy told me he bought it new ..... hahahaha, so I did break the rear end 2nd day I had it which he said was built when pulled apart it was stock, rear brake always needed a washer on the bracket so it wouldnt make noise where it was too close touching alittle, and the upper control arms was messed up so bad had to cut it out which all adds up now to twisted subframes, anyways long story short I have been working on putting this car back right since I have owned it from dumb butt past owners so everyone be mindful when buying these cars look over them really good ...

trmnator

Established Member
Has it been raced or maybe a wreck that wasn't reported ?? I think mine was not reported and hit in the back. My drivers door has a wide gap at the top. The sub's are already in. They are tubes with top strips skip welded the full length. You should check the tracking, cross measure to see if its square and center to center on the wheels. If it is out, a good frame shop can get it back in line. It still sucks but do it before you weld anything on. Good luck.

termcobra281

Established Member
Thanks trmnator I didnt realize you message me about this, but no I dont think its been wreck I just think someone twisted it from hooking, looks like a kenne bell was on it at one time. I did speak with some frame guys and they told me they wouldnt mess with the subframes on a car but they would just replace them with a new subframe. I've been driving it here lately and havent touched it yet and on my Right Rear I have a brake noise that only goes away with braking or going into a left hand turn, if I go into a right hand turn it makes more brake sounding noises, like a bird chirping sound. I have replaced everything on that side that deals with braking, rotor, caliper, bracket, shoes, everything and I still have the noise it blows my mind I am clueless with it and Im not sure if it has something to do with the slight bend in the subframe. Anyone reading this and if you guys have any idea please throw it out there cus I sure am out of answers..

Palacios289

Established Member
Honestly it could just be quality Ford construction. the fit and finish was never the greatest to begin with factory fresh. If there are no signs of collision, it just might be the wonderful build quality. If the frame is tweaked from a wreck, this would be a good time to put it on a rack and have the subframe welded.

I bought a brand new 2003 Mach 1 back in 2003. I had subframe connectors added. No wrecks or racing and yet the subframe connectors had to be tweaked per MM instructions. It’s a 30 year old frame design. Same reason some guys can toss full length headers with perfect clearance and other guys have to break out the BFH.

Users who are viewing this thread