Missing gears??

Dahubbster

Established Member
Ok, I'll admit that I'm a rookie (a 37 yr old rookie), but I've been driving a manual (mostly off-road vehicles) all my driving days and I'm having a heck of a time hitting the gears, especially 3rd, when the pressure is on!!

I keep telling the spouse that I just need to practice more.....her response....do you know what a new set of Eagle F1's are gonna cost ya IF YOU KEEP PRACTICING!! Yes dear??

Just wondering if I was the only one "that needs to practice more"??

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
It actually becomes better each time. I had a terrible time the first time a drove it but now I fly through the gears without a problem.

You could always upgrade to a PRO5.0 shifter though. I hear they are pretty terrific. But I'm going to keep the stock one since it isn't really that bad. Of course, I don't take it to the track and race it either (I might this weekend though). If I did, I'd probably want to upgrade to the pro50 too.

trmn8tr

Established Member
I've been having the same problem with 3rd...that's why I plan on getting a Pro 5.0 shifter really soon.

Kevin
03 Cobra

StreetSnake

Established Member
Practice practice Hub my moneys on the Coast Guard, The stock shifter is a pretty good one, drop that 200 bucks and a couple more on a catback.:beer:

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
Shifting from second to 3rd ,,as your pushing it up,it will find third..you miss when you try to aim it.

Takes a little practice,,Go slow at first,then try doing it a bit faster each time.
hope this helps..

Jim V.

ZXnVS

Established Member
I'm embarrassed to admit I'd never owned a car with a manual transmission before I bought my new Cobra. I was always more interested in motorcycles than cars. But I'm getting the hang of it pretty well, now. I used to fight to get into third gear, but I quickly discovered if you just push up it will almost slip in on its own. You just need to jog the slightest bit to the right to hit 3rd. My clutch technique is what really needs work. This is a damned grabby clutch (I've never owned a manual, but I've driven several) and its hard to be smooth AND fast...

Damn, I guess I'll have to go practice some more. Where are the keys? ;-)

hoodedsnake

Established Member
What Jim said, the spring load is set up to find third for you.

I tried at first to find third on my own and ended up in fourth way too many times, now I've learned to let the spring load find third for me. Push up lightly out of second and let the shifter pop itself right and then push it up into third, may not produce the best 1/4 times but works great on the street.

I agree save the $200 for exhaust or other mods unless you plan to track the car in some way.

KingKobra

Established Member
Yea, I've been getting used to alot of things... for one, the clutch was really heavy for me, but now, it's nice... I'm sure if I drove a different car, my foot would just drop the clutch petal to the floor.

I did notice and if you just pull the shifter out, it defaults to sit below 3 and above 4, so I usually just do that when I'm cruising.

My main trouble has been, sometimes, I can't get into 1st!!! I have to double-clutch from a stop, which usually opens up the gear shaft, since it was out of sync or something.... :shrug:

Rob03

Established Member
My trick for 3rd has always been to use the palm and just push it forward and right, without gripping the stick. It seems to always find 3rd. 5th is another whole ballgame though. It seems to be a challange to push it over into 5th rather than letting it slide over. Maybe it's just me.

Cheers, :beer:
Robert

KingKobra

Established Member
I don't know about you guys, but 3rd is not a very workable gear for me... I keep getting pulled by all kinds of cars in 3rd... it's kinda slow to me.

EXAMPLE: I'll be cruising at 40-50 in 5th, and decide to drop down to 3rd for boost, and it'll kinda take it's time.... yet, 2nd is too top end and 4 is lugging like mad. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread