MIR midnight madness - 29AUG14 - 2005 mustang gt

lindermant

Established Member
I went to MIR last night (29AUG14) for Midnight Madness...

9aug2_zps7ebdc2a7.gif

front struts set to full loose
rear shocks set to +3 clicks from full loose
3560 lbs w/driver
DA started near 1100 ft and worked down to 400 ft later in the evening (per drag times DA calculator)

1st pass rear tires set to 14psi, 6k rpm launch
2nd pass rear tires set to 14psi, launched off the limiter @ 6.5k
3rd pass rear tires set to 16.5psi, launched off the limiter @ 6.5k
all remaining passes rear tires set to 15psi, launched off the limiter @ 6.5k

A29AF137-CEBD-4484-A073-F0138D0859C8_zpsdjsdalkj.gif

best run of the night was 12.491 with a 1.642 60' (new best 60'). MPH was down all night, possibly because I was running less pressure in the rear tires(?) Mounted my gopro to the panhard bar to watch the tire at launch:

[youtube_browser]uhCDKnsOgcY[/youtube_browser]

a friend captured a couple of launch vids - I'll post those as soon as I get copies...

There were a lot of cars in super street (53 or 63?), and I think I was the #12 qualifier. I dialed in a 12.49 and gave it a go. I've never really paid attention to trying to cut a light, and as such I managed to red light during the first round of eliminations (-0.011 red). I was exhausted anyways, so it's good I was able to pack up and head home. Once I get everything dialed in and consistent, then I'll worry about cutting a light.

Being able to put the pedal to the floor @ launch was lots of fun. I spoke with a couple of guys in the staging lanes and they said both front wheels came up; someday I'll get a pic of that :coolman:

Last edited:

lindermant

Established Member
updated vids! here are outside vids to go along with the above undercar vid:

fullspeed
[youtube_browser]5JzHG3oRQMs[/youtube_browser]

slow motion
[youtube_browser]109lSnicrAk[/youtube_browser]

and here's 6.5k launch with rear tires @ 16.5psi (spin)
[youtube_browser]C1oUSQAnfjE[/youtube_browser]

BMR Tech

OP, next time you go back....stiffen up those rear shocks a few clicks and see what happens.

lindermant

Established Member
Nice Runs Tom..pulling front wheel. nice.
thanks Bill!

What are the mods to the 05? 12.4 is booking pretty good.
20,xxx miles, K&N CAI, steeda udp's, frpp shorty headers, stock h-pipe and cats, frpp GTA mufflers, 5spd manual (stock trans/clutch/shifter)

93 street tune - Woodbine Motorsports
302 rwhp / 317 rwtq

strange single adjustable front struts, gt500 strut mounts, cobra jet front springs (m-5300-q), front sway bar and bracket removed, UPR radiator support, stock 2pc drive shaft, front/rear drive shaft safety loops

metco UCA/UCA mount/LCA's, pinion angle set to -2 deg, strange single adjustable rear shocks, cobra jet rear springs, frpp bump stop kit, comp engineering adjustable panhard bar, comp engineering pandhard bar brace, BMR relocation brackets, frpp 4.10 gears, LPW diff cover, eaton truetrac diff

15x4 Weld RTS with M/T ET fronts
15x8 Weld RTS with M/T ET street bias ply rears

3560 lbs race weight with driver, 1/4 tank of gas, full interior, gutted trunk

OP, next time you go back....stiffen up those rear shocks a few clicks and see what happens.
I'll try that, thanks Kelly

Last edited:

BMR Tech

Once you add a little more power, ARB and Double Adjustable rears will be a good move.

Next time, try and get a shot from both sides. It's always good to compare body movement on both sides, as it gives you a better idea of what the suspension is doing.

That driver tire is digging in good. I like it.

lindermant

Established Member
another tip from Kelly - and a new best 60' - thanks man!

test and tune at MIR last night (12SEP14):

run 1
weight 3570 lbs
front strut full loose
rear shock +5 clicks from full soft
15psi cold in rear tire
6500 rpm launch off limiter

run 2
weight 3570 lbs
front strut full loose
rear shock +6 clicks from full soft
15psi cold in rear tire

run 3
weight 3570 lbs
front strut full loose
rear shock +6 clicks from full soft
16psi cold in rear tire

run 4
weight 3570 lbs
front strut full loose
rear shock +7 clicks from full soft
15psi cold in rear tire

12sep14_time_slips_MIR_zps3ed313e2.gif

new best 60' is 1.638 down from 1.642 from my last visit. Car felt much better in run 4 configuration listed above. I need to have my tuner up the rev limiter to 6800 rpm, I think I need that extra 300 rpm @ launch.

Speaking of launch...
12sep14_MIR_test_and_tune_zps020852b6.gif

left front wheel is up, and I think the right front wheels is up too (tough to tell with the flash). Fun fact - I averaged 25.4 mpg on the 80+ mile trip to the track, and 5.6 mpg while making runs

:banana:

Last edited:

Prototype007

Established Member
Congrats!

I remember reading a thread about your car earlier this year/late last year and I'm very impressed with what the car runs with so little power related mods!

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Great times. I think you have your current set up dialed in pretty good. Time to add some more power and get them front wheels a little higher. Any plans to add some more power?

lindermant

Established Member
Congrats!
I remember reading a thread about your car earlier this year/late last year and I'm very impressed with what the car runs with so little power related mods!
thanks!

Great times. I think you have your current set up dialed in pretty good. Time to add some more power and get them front wheels a little higher. Any plans to add some more power?
I plan to have my rev limiter bumped form 6500 to 6800 in the near future; and I plan to install Strange double adj rear shocks this winter. If I ever have to go into the rear end again, I'll swap the 4.10's for 4.56's.

No real power mods on the menu - maybe CMDP's and Ford racing x-pipe. I have a power steering delete short accessory belt that I can swap at the track, and there's 75-100 lbs I can pull out (front passenger seat and rear seat + hardware) for an all out run. The p/s delete and weight reduction should be good for 1-2 tenths, and the upcoming negative DA will only help too.

BMR Tech

I think you have a 1.62 in it as is.

Next time out, try 2-3 clicks up front.

Out back, go another click to 8....

And cold psi at 14psi.

Post results. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread