Milky lens fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

x_man586

Going to UTI
Established Member
This is how to fix milky lenses.
Lenses are clear coated when they are manufactured and the coat will come off over time. This allows oxidation. The best way to fix this is to sand through the oxidized plastic and reapply the clear coat. I would recommend using the real stuff and not the clear that comes in the spray can because it comes off easier.

It is best to remove the light but you can mask off the area around it if you must. Remove the bulb and stuff a paper towel in the hole to keep water and overspray out. Clean the lens(I used soapy water). Wet sand through the oxidized plastic. I started with 800 grit and moved up to 1200 and finally 2000 grit paper. Clean the lens again(soapy water and rinse). Let dry and apply the clear coat. If you can't apply the clear coat yourself you can probably get a paint shop to do it for you. If you catch them at the right time and they are clearing a car they probably won't charge you. Apply a light coat and 2-3 medium coats. Wait about 10 minutes between coats and let the light dry for at least an hour before reinistalling it.

This is a spare lens and is not fogged that much. You can see the fogged part at the top.
beforen.jpg

This is after the sanding.
during.jpg

This is the end result.
finishedn.jpg

This will last 10 times longer than the rubbing compound and is way cheaper than buying new lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread