Mileage discrepancy on interior swapped C6 Z06

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
@svtfocus2cobra and @Junior00
If I wanted to change the cluster in my 08 z06 and have the mileage be legit is it something that needs to be done by a dealer or is it possible to do it myself

From my experience, you can swap out clusters and at the most you need a scanner that can marry it to the vehicle which isn't all that hard except I don't know which of the cheaper scanners can do it. The shop scanners are usually $3-4k and have a lot of functions in them so at the most you may have to take it to a shop that can program it and marry it to the vehicle.

I was going to give @Junior00 the benefit of the doubt and concede that maybe it was something I have never come across, but there is something that contradicts what he is claiming. Scanners are for the most part read-only devices. They can initiate tests and activate various parts of the vehicle, but the one thing they can't do is rewrite an PCM so no, it won't actually work. The scanners will require you to put in the vin and mileage but that does not mean you're changing the vin or mileage on the car, and if you do so you will likely run into major issues and get locked out of performing any further functions because the scanner won't recognize the PCM if you give it the wrong vin. Yeah, there may be a video and people saying it is possible, but once I remembered the simple fact that scanners are basically read only means it isn't possible. To reprogram you will need a laptop with the manufacturer programming software and a Pass Thru Pro or similar J2534 device to connect from the laptop to the car.

The guy in the video is not demonstrating how to change the vin on the car to the one that is on the PCM. When you install a used or new PCM there is typically a range of vin numbers with the same part number for a PCM so you have to match your vehicle's vin to the correct part number, and so the vin number from the previous car is not their to trick the car into thinking it now has a new vin but to confirm, or for the scanner to confirm (because they likely have the information built in for ease of use), that the PCM will match the one you just took off your own car.

Swapping a PCM and guage cluster are two entirely different functions when it comes to reprogramming, and the actions are not interchangeable between the two if that makes sense. They require two different devices, but it is possible that this Autel device carries a limited reprogramming ability because that is what these companies are trying to do with each new device. They're trying to make it all in one, but as of right now there are some functions that simply can't be done without the actual software or even the dealer's software depending on brand.

Changing a cluster on a newer car is a simple function that can usually be married to the car with a scanner, but changing a PCM on most cars requires manufacturer software on a real computer and a J2534 device like I stated before.

Last edited:

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
From my experience, you can swap out clusters and at the most you need a scanner that can marry it to the vehicle which isn't all that hard except I don't know which of the cheaper scanners can do it. The shop scanners are usually $3-4k and have a lot of functions in them so at the most you may have to take it to a shop that can program it and marry it to the vehicle.

I was going to give @Junior00 the benefit of the doubt and concede that maybe it was something I have never come across, but there is something that contradicts what he is claiming. Scanners are for the most part read-only devices. They can initiate tests and activate various parts of the vehicle, but the one thing they can't do is rewrite an PCM so no, it won't actually work. The scanners will require you to put in the vin and mileage but that does not mean you're changing the vin or mileage on the car, and if you do so you will likely run into major issues and get locked out of performing any further functions because the scanner won't recognize the PCM if you give it the wrong vin. Yeah, there may be a video and people saying it is possible, but once I remembered the simple fact that scanners are basically read only means it isn't possible. To reprogram you will need a laptop with the manufacturer programming software and a Pass Thru Pro or similar J2534 device to connect from the laptop to the car.

The guy in the video is not demonstrating how to change the vin on the car to the one that is on the PCM. When you install a used or new PCM there is typically a range of vin numbers with the same part number for a PCM so you have to match your vehicle's vin to the correct part number, and so the vin number from the previous car is not their to trick the car into thinking it now has a new vin but to confirm, or for the scanner to confirm (because they likely have the information built in for ease of use), that the PCM will match the one you just took off your own car.

Swapping a PCM and guage cluster are two entirely different functions when it comes to reprogramming, and the actions are not interchangeable between the two if that makes sense. They require two different devices, but it is possible that this Autel device carries a limited reprogramming ability because that is what these companies are trying to do with each new device. They're trying to make it all in one, but as of right now there are some functions that simply can't be done without the actual software or even the dealer's software depending on brand.

Changing a cluster on a newer car is a simple function that can usually be married to the car with a scanner, but changing a PCM on most cars requires manufacturer software on a real computer and a J2534 device like I stated before.
Yea I don’t want to change the pcm I just want to change the cluster and marry it to the car if that’s even still possible

Cman01

hello
Established Member
Like I have said before I have no issue with him changing the cluster from the metric one the car had from new (since it is a Canadian vehicle) to a USA cluster.

If you look at the 2 clusters for a C6 Z06 the USA speedo goes from 0-200mph with 60mph at the 11 o'clock position. The metric speedo is 0-320km/h with 100 km/h at the same 11 o'clock position.

Now if you have the metric cluster and you switch it from metric to imperial then 60 mph will only be at like the 9 o'clock position and with the US speedo if you switch it to km/h 100km/h is at like the 2 o'clock position.

Basically the speedo barely moves with a metric cluster switched to imperial and speedo sweeps through most of the gauge with a US cluster switched to metric.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Yea I don’t want to change the pcm I just want to change the cluster and marry it to the car if that’s even still possible

It certainly is, but to do it yourself you will need a scanner that has the function because not all of them have that function, or you will just need a shop or dealer to marry it for you.

Sorry, that long reply wasn't directed fully at you but just about the conversation that was going on.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
It certainly is, but to do it yourself you will need a scanner that has the function because not all of them have that function, or you will just need a shop or dealer to marry it for you.

Sorry, that long reply wasn't directed fully at you but just about the conversation that was going on.
Na I know. Information is knowledge so it’s all good. I also have a Canadian car with a metric cluster and I bought an American cluster but to be honest after driving the car with he HUD and speedo in standard read out it’s honestly not terrible. The speedo gets recalibrated by the car to display correct mph on the analog cluster. I just have to get used to the oil pressure being in kPa and not psi

FJohnny

Established Member
@Fjohnny^^^^^^Missed the non disclosure in his ad about the interior?

Maybe u should familiarize yourself with the whole story before making assumptions.

OK, so maybe he could've trailered it to Carlisle and taking 600 miles off the total mileage of the car leaves him 300 + miles off what the car should have for mileage.

Would u buy a car with more miles on it than what is shown in the cluster and taking the seller's word on what it has for an interior?

No assumptions being made here. It was actually the 'non disclosure' of the interior in the previous thread that made me notice this current thread. If I remember correctly, you said he didn't mention the changing of the interior but you did say he had advertised it as a 2LT instead of the 3LT that is was. That got him into the correct interior being sold, right? And I'm guessing the 3LT had a few bonus items included that the new buyer would be getting 'for free'.

To a purist, non-matching parts might be bad. To someone wanting a nice car, getting any extras for free would be good. So, one guy loves the seller and the other doesn't. Oh, well...

The supposed discrepancy in the mileage is easily explained as rounding error. Most ads give a mileage at a particular time but no one really expects it to stay that way forever, right? Test drives, time, etc change all. I'm guessing a simple question from the buyer would confirm the actual miles and that it was pretty close to what he stated (in as much as it was not registered or being driven).

The threads pretty much call out the seller as being shady and a bad seller. I'm just not sure that's entirely fair. It is definitely open to interpretation. I get that he is not your favorite seller. Can you imagine him at this point thinking that you are not his, either? It all depends on point of view.

No offense intended. Have a great night.

Junior00

Hurter Of Delicate Vaginas
Established Member
Premium Member

My lord, re-watch the video and read what I said. In the video you can see the enhanced functions. Like I said, it is stored in multiple modules generally with the CAN systems and reference each other. The elite, and Pro among others also I believe, are bi-directional meaning they can read and write. If you have a capable scan tool with that functionality, you buy a limited use subscription (in our case it was from GM for 3 days I think for $40sih). We wiped the old modules, programmed with the newest software and it has prompts for vin, mileage, skim, etc that are vehicle specific. You can also go directly into that module and change the vin. We did this on a 16 2500 base model WT that we added the wheel, cluster, radio and associated modules for nav, and hands free.

Not all vehicles are configured the same. GM was certainly behind the times in the early 2000's. The clusters kept the specific mileage, however it communicated with the BCM which could be off quite a bit depending on the counter and codes present/cleared.

The folks who do this for a living are certified individually, but they still use the same software if one is willing to pay for it. I don't know what else to tell you, but I know it CAN be done.

Cman01

hello
Established Member
The car has more than a 300 + mile variance in mileage.

Too many #'s and dates to keep track obviously for some even with the warning.

He's looking for $46k not $100k.

Last edited:

Cman01

hello
Established Member
It's stated in the first post, did u read it?

Min. 300+ most likely 1100+ depending on the Carlisle factor.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
Again.... Why go through the trouble for 1100 miles? If you going to turn back the miles, turn them back to something that would actually make a difference. Just my opinion

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
There are many possibilities on why he has it listed with 23,500 miles and it could potentially have 1100 more. Maybe he has it stored off-site and doesn't remember the exact mileage so he just put the last mileage he could remember. Maybe he did trailer it back home and just didn't tell you. Either way, I really don't think it's a big deal. And I certainly don't think he tampered with the mileage to make a 24,500 mile car read 23,500. What would he gain from that?

The fact that this thread exists just shows how much the seller lives rent free in OPs head.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Again.... Why go through the trouble for 1100 miles? If you going to turn back the miles, turn them back to something that would actually make a difference. Just my opinion

not even HIS 1100 miles.

the fact that OP is legit trying to track this guys every move... my god.

I sure to god hope he’s single.. because I can’t imagine how he tracks people in his own house

Users who are viewing this thread