Mileage Consideration on Used Boss

ZiaRunner

Established Member
I'm looking at a few used Boss 302 cars. The mileage on them is about 35k-40k. They are one owner cars with maintenance records and seem to be well cared for. The car would not be my daily driver. Are the miles a lot for a performance car like this? Would you hesitate or pass and why?

I'd like a Boss under 10k miles but the price on these are about $8k-10k cheaper which makes it an attractive value.

KBBoss302

Established Member
Hey ZiaRunner - the Boss engines are pretty robust so I wouldn't worry too much about the mileage unless the car was someone's track rat. The MT82 transmission and the OE clutch are the weak links on them but even if you rebuild/replace one or both, that it not a terrible expensive exercise ($about $1500 for upgraded trans, $700-1200 for a good clutch and flywheel depending on what model you go with).

1 owner with records seems like an added positive factor. If the cars seems to be well taken care of, then don't rule them out because of the miles. You can have a lot of cool stuff done to your Boss for the savings!

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I’ve got 34,000 on my 2012 Laguna Seca, not bad for owning it for almost 8 years but keep in mind I usually do two open track events per year with it, 4 days total of hard driving, shifting at redline, extreme forces on the suspension, etc.

I even just got back from an 11 day 2450 mile road trip with it that included two track days. Had a blast!

That being said, this has been the most reliable mustang I’ve ever owned, never let me down, just routine maintenance, washed and waxed after every event, put away for the winter in a heated garage. Not driven in the rain, etc.

If you find a one owner car with similar conditions I would not be afraid to buy it if I were you.

Users who are viewing this thread