MIL Elim...quick question

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
So I just put some MIL elim's (plug in style from AM) as well as some spacers of sorts (I have seen them called spark plug defoulers as well, just drilled out I guess). Any who...I still have a P0430 code:bash::bash:

It took about 70 miles and 3 days to turn on....

question....is my car really picky enough or are the MIL elims that unreliable that it still wants to throw 1 code on 1 side??

Rear o2's are brand new (>1k miles on them).

Should I hit up AM and see if they will send me 1 new MIL Elim?? any other ideas...thanks guys

just annoyed with starring at the SES light. lol

2001cobravert

Established Member
I don't think you're supposed to use MIL eliminators with anything else used to fool the check engine light. Try them without the "foulers".

My brother and I are running them alone and have had no issues with them. :shrug:

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
I don't think you're supposed to use MIL eliminators with anything else used to fool the check engine light. Try them without the "foulers".

My brother and I are running them alone and have had no issues with them. :shrug:

Tried it...no luck though. Thats why I actually bought the defoulers...lame...stupid picky computer. lol

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Do you have a tune? If so ask the tuner to turn them off in the tune.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

Black01Vert

Established Member
Try switching the mil elimInators from one side to the other? That way you can see if it's a faulty unit or of its something with the car if the code changes

Richter888

Established Member
Wow, I really gotta pay attention to my typing.

I meant, "I thought you were NOT suppose to install them on the rear oxy sensors." I thought the after cat sensors were purely for emissions control. The pre-cat were for engine a/f control. There, now I'm done making an ass of myself.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
1. What Oxygen sensors did you install? I hope you used OEM and not the BOSCH ones.
2. P0430 is a voltage code meaning that the info being provided to the ECU is not in the range it should be. This leads back to question #1.
3. How many anti-foulers did you install? I think ONE per side should be sufficient. If you stack too many on there, you may get a bad reading (or out of range/See #2)
4. MILS can sometimes be DOA as well...but you should address #1 and 2 first since you do not need MILS with anti-foulers.
5. WTF?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I have MIL eliminators as well, but every couple of weeks i get a P0430 code as well. I just clear it and it's fine for another few weeks. I just think they don't work as well as they should. Kinda annoying.

Spacers don't work either, had a cat rust out on my DD and replaced it with a straight pipe. Tried to cure the CEL with a spacer and it popped right back on within 20 miles.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
all my o2s are bosh
1 fouler per side
i will try resetting again and see if it stays off any longer. thanks guys figured i would just see what ideas everyone could spitball out.

maybe i will try taking the spacer off the one side and see if it bings the voltage in range if the light comes back after resetting.

Last edited:

chvybeatsford

Established Member
Not thread jacking but rather not start another. Sorry OP I'll delete if u don't want this in here. But as to the question on runner remove code.. Can that still be done if IM running off the Kenney bell tune. My mill elems must be bad as I have code pull up also..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Not thread jacking but rather not start another. Sorry OP I'll delete if u don't want this in here. But as to the question on runner remove code.. Can that still be done if IM running off the Kenney bell tune. My mill elems must be bad as I have code pull up also..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Yes. You can clear codes with custom tunes installed.

OP; Pick up some Motorcraft O2 sensors. A lot of people have had issues with the Bosch sensors.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
When my car was still a V6, I learned the hard way to stay away from BOSCH O2 sensors. They are universal and out of range. This is why I figured out your issue pretty fast.

Here are a few results I pulled up:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/357584-bosch-02-sensors.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/663170-brand-o2-sensors.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-spark-plugs-crapy-bosch-o2-sensors-pics.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/790615-bosh-o2-sensor.html

Many folks on here have made the mistake of buying them and learning the hard way.

Predatorbird

Established Member
What midpipe do you have? I always had issues with mine when I had a Bassani o/r X. I swapped out the sensors and it still threw a code. I remember reading other people were having this issue too with a Bassani mid.

Your best bet is to get the car tuned and have the sensors turned off.

MikeRS1981

Established Member
I have a Mac o/r H pipe and get the code as well. I bought the tuner from AM and had them turn off the rear sensors, and it was good for awhile. Now I'm getting the code again. I bought the MIL eliminators but have yet to put them on, hopefully they work

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
When my car was still a V6, I learned the hard way to stay away from BOSCH O2 sensors. They are universal and out of range. This is why I figured out your issue pretty fast.

Here are a few results I pulled up:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/357584-bosch-02-sensors.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/new-edge-cobras-51/663170-brand-o2-sensors.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-spark-plugs-crapy-bosch-o2-sensors-pics.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/shelby-gt500-150/790615-bosh-o2-sensor.html

Many folks on here have made the mistake of buying them and learning the hard way.

well thanks for the info. I might get around to switching to motorcraft ones, or maybe I will go for a tune instead. Was trying to avoid the tune route as I have read when you have the rear O2's switched off they show up on an OBD II emissions check. I don't have to do emissions yet, but if I end up registering my car here in AZ/phx area I will have to.

What midpipe do you have? I always had issues with mine when I had a Bassani o/r X. I swapped out the sensors and it still threw a code. I remember reading other people were having this issue too with a Bassani mid.

Your best bet is to get the car tuned and have the sensors turned off.

oddly enough I do have a bassani o/r x.

MikeRS1981

Established Member
Just to keep this topic in this thread, I just connected the eliminators to my cobra that also had the o2 sensors turned off by a tune. I was still getting the code, and the code is still there. Is this an immediate fix or does it take a few cycles for the engine light to go back off after the eliminators are installed

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
If they are turned OFF there is no way in hell you should be getting a code.
Mils won't help.

And FWIW, for Mils to work you must be sure the O2s themselves are good.

Users who are viewing this thread