Mid-size SUV tire recommendations

jconnor3

Established Member
My wifes tires on her CX-5 are shot and it's about time for snow to start flying in Indiana. Tires are a 225/55/19 and I'm looking for a decent tire to put on there that doesn't break the bank. I don't want to go cheap, but it's not like there needs to be some sort of performance tire on there.

What have you guys had good luck with?

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Michelin Premier LTX

Had them on our Explorer Sport and they were great all around tires. Look them up and read the reviews.

Also, Michelin has a $70 mail in rebate right now on 4 tires.

Oh, and Discount Tire carries them.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

^This

I originally had these installed on my wife’s ‘10 Milan and after we traded it in for an AWD ‘15 CR-V a few months ago, it was a no brainer going with them again. They did awesome in the snow with her FWD Milan, so they’ll kick ass with the CR-V.

Link seems messed up, but they are General Altimax RT43.

Never_Enough

Established Member
Don't buy Conti. Had a sidewall bubble & they told me GFY.
Will never buy their tires again

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have the Michelin premiere ltx on our explorer as well. Haven't been in rain or anything yet with them but we like them in the dry

Gary Macomber

Established Member
Recently replaced the ones on my minivan with Goodyear from Sams club for ~$400, granted they are 17s so price is a bit cheaper than 19s. Replaced the ones on my SHO a couple weeks ago with Continental from a tire place which ran me $1400 but they are 20s.

Sams club usually has $80 off when you buy 4 tire deals

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Recently replaced the ones on my minivan with Goodyear from Sams club for ~$400, granted they are 17s so price is a bit cheaper than 19s. Replaced the ones on my SHO a couple weeks ago with Continental from a tire place which ran me $1400 but they are 20s.

Sams club usually has $80 off when you buy 4 tire deals

What the hell Continentals did you buy? I put Continental DWS06 on my MKS a few weeks ago (255/45/20) and paid $650 all said and done. eBay Discount Tire had $100 off for a purchase over $400, so I got my local DT to match the online savings and saved myself $200.

T.Man

Established Member
Just put some Michelin Defender A/S on my wife's SUV and wouldn't settle for anything less

Gary Macomber

Established Member
What the hell Continentals did you buy? I put Continental DWS06 on my MKS a few weeks ago (255/45/20) and paid $650 all said and done. eBay Discount Tire had $100 off for a purchase over $400, so I got my local DT to match the online savings and saved myself $200.
Ebay discount tire, the tires alone would have been $944 245/45r20, the 255 that you say you got are $760 tires alone, no mount, balance, alignment, road hazard, etc.

I am sure I could have gotten a cheaper price but I had put off new tires long enough and needed to get some as my wife drives it mostly and they were very worn.

Edit: I also got W rated tires, rated for 168+ mph not R rated.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I used to hate Michelin but I'm on my 3rd set on my truck. 3 sets averaging 60K miles each on a 1 ton that does some towing and only 1 flat. I now put them on everything.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Ebay discount tire, the tires alone would have been $944 245/45r20, the 255 that you say you got are $760 tires alone, no mount, balance, alignment, road hazard, etc.

I am sure I could have gotten a cheaper price but I had put off new tires long enough and needed to get some as my wife drives it mostly and they were very worn.

Edit: I also got W rated tires, rated for 168+ mph not R rated.

Next time, go 255 to save a little money and improve the ride. I passed on the road hazard since Conti’s have their own and didn’t need an alignment. I’m never touching 245’s again.

OP - Habe you narrowed it down?

jconnor3

Established Member
Hey thanks guys for all of the recommendations. We sold our house on Friday and moved all weekend so I really haven't had a chance to look at all the options ya'll laid out. I never thought about Sams, I'll look into that as my mother-in-law has a membership there. Thanks again!

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Cooper Discoverer SRX.
65k tread life warranty.
Picked up a set of 255/55/18 for my Acura for $540 shipped and a $70 rebate card.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Trofeo R's

JK.

I really dig most tires built by Michelin and I'm also a fan of Bridgestone. I've heard a lot of good about Conti's but I've never run them.

Users who are viewing this thread