Mid-pipe with Magnaflow catback?

Chris F

No More JDM
Established Member
Need some opinions, really not sure which route to go. I have a Magnaflow catback, stock H pipe, stock headers. I want to put a different mid pipe on, the car is too quiet for me....

It seems the vast majority run X pipes, but I do love the H pipe sound. What X pipes sound good and are not too raspy with the Magnaflow catback? From my understanding, they are pass through mufflers.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

hotcobra03

Established Member
Good luck.to many options

IMO longtube headers and any thing off road in the middle will be a unique sound

Listen to some videos. Many out there

On YouTube. Ones with longtubes will stand out.

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
Just came in here looking for 3" options and sound bites. I have a JBA O/R H pipe to Magnaflow stainless, 2.5". Too loud and sounds like a glass packed farm truck. I may put the stock catback back on it to see what it sounds like.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I don't think the H pipes vary sound wise as much as the X pipes. With the X pipes you can get a clamshell or tubes that are connected. Those change the sound.

There was an H pipe that had a spacer in the middle to help change the note a little. I think it was for S197's though. My son put a Summit brand H pipe on his 99 GT with Flowmasters and it sounded pretty good. I used to tease him about sounding fast at least.

wckdvnm

Established Member
Just came in here looking for 3" options and sound bites. I have a JBA O/R H pipe to Magnaflow stainless, 2.5". Too loud and sounds like a glass packed farm truck. I may put the stock catback back on it to see what it sounds like.

That’s a interesting description; I have a Mac H and that same catback and it has tone and was deep comparative to the X and stinger combo I had prior. Now that same H with stingers sounded as you described and was deafening.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
That’s a interesting description; I have a Mac H and that same catback and it has tone and was deep comparative to the X and stinger combo I had prior. Now that same H with stingers sounded as you described and was deafening.
He probably either has magnapacks in there or his mufflers have a million miles on them and are shot. Like you said, there's nothing farm truck about the original magnaflow cb. Not even with longtubes and an o/r x!

Users who are viewing this thread