Mid pipe questions

CJW04Redfire

Established Member
Hello all, I have a flowmaster cat back and stock H pipe. Love the whine that is produced and don't like the sound of an X. Imo too much throatiness in the tone.

Looking for a little more general loudness along with power. Is there any gain from an O/R H pipe or, is it a waste to not use and X pipe?

Im looking into an off road H pipe, LTH and, sticking to the flow masters any recommendations or opinions?

Sent from my SM-G977U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
The old rule of thumb was x-pipe for 4valve cars and h for 2v. That has changed over the years as more and more 4v folks prefer the deeper tone achieved by an h-pipe.

As mentioned, there's no discernible power difference between the two; it's all about sound. I'd think LT's, off-road H, and Flowmasters would be a pretty loud, deep setup. Personally, I always go with catted pipes on my cars. Don't like sweating my way through emissions and don't like to smell like I just got off the lawnmower after a 15min drive.

Keep in mind that adding the LT's will likely lower boost slightly so it's possible you'll actually go down in power a touch. If it were me, I'd change out the mid-pipe and leave the headers alone. The stock units will flow just fine well beyond the capabilities of the Eaton.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The old rule of thumb was x-pipe for 4valve cars and h for 2v. That has changed over the years as more and more 4v folks prefer the deeper tone achieved by an h-pipe.

As mentioned, there's no discernible power difference between the two; it's all about sound. I'd think LT's, off-road H, and Flowmasters would be a pretty loud, deep setup. Personally, I always go with catted pipes on my cars. Don't like sweating my way through emissions and don't like to smell like I just got off the lawnmower after a 15min drive.

Keep in mind that adding the LT's will likely lower boost slightly so it's possible you'll actually go down in power a touch. If it were me, I'd change out the mid-pipe and leave the headers alone. The stock units will flow just fine well beyond the capabilities of the Eaton.

boost is a measurement of restriction, if you increase airflow boost can drop and still make the same or more power. Its not the same as say boost drop from belt slip.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Ahhhh...I thought I remembered someone a while back who was puzzled because they added LT's and lost power or torque. My mistake!

CJW04Redfire

Established Member
Thank you all great responses !
The H is looking like the way to go. I love how deep it is while retaining the blower whine up top. It's litterly all blower when I am in it.
Not a fan of the X-pipes damn near killing the whine under all the throtiness.
I learned something new also about the change in boost with headers which makes sense.
I am guessing headers will only really be necessary after more power mods ?

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Doing the headers requires either lifting or lowering the motor. For most, the work involved compared to the power gains makes them not worthwhile until they're actually needed.
Another solution to retaining the blower whine...get a 2.2 Kenne Bell. Good luck drowning out that scream. lol

Rambro

Established Member
Thank you all great responses !
The H is looking like the way to go. I love how deep it is while retaining the blower whine up top. It's litterly all blower when I am in it.
Not a fan of the X-pipes damn near killing the whine under all the throtiness.
I learned something new also about the change in boost with headers which makes sense.
I am guessing headers will only really be necessary after more power mods ?

As far as headers go, you'll have people tell you you'll gain 50 rear wheel by adding headers alone on an eaton car, some only gain ten horsepower on 700+ rwhp twin screw setups. Then some will claim they dropped 2 psi and others say boost stayed the same. IMO headers are totally overrated on these cars unless you are making big power. Ported heads, cams, big boost will need headers. Guys with stock long blocks not so much. My two cents.

Last edited:

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
The MRT Max-Flow stainless steel H-pipe is a good option.
This

MRT off road H and MAC SS 2.5" catback for me, sounds great. I'm in the club of H pipe with chambered mufflers. And the X with the straight through design mufflers.

Users who are viewing this thread