Mid 90's F350 Owners

roadracer247

Established Member
Going to look at a '97 F350 4x4 w/ a 351 V8. It's only got 125k on the clock. I'm just looking for something that can be used for runs to the Home Depot, pull a bass boat, and occasionally a 2 horse trailer at the most. Are these old trucks worth trying out? Am I walking into a nightmare? I figured there's gotta be some love for these trucks around here.

MG0h3

Established Member
I think for what you want it for you'll be good. Worked on quite a few when I was a tech and while I wouldn't recommend it if you can't wrench or want to daily it, it'll do what you want just fine. Sent a few customers away in tears when they saw estimates for simple front end work and brakes. Diesels were even worse. I swear the front end components would be shot after 30k and a few years.

Dusten

Established Member
Very reliable. The solid front axle is bullet proof and easy yo work on. The 5.8 is solid, but a bit underpowered. Take care to look the trans over. The e4od isn't very stong.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
^ I would agree. I have a 1993 F150 with the 351w and E4OD. Good truck. Price is going to depend on condition and location.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I would 100% go for it if it was a manual. It's going to be weak no matter what, but you aren't out to win races. The only real issues are rust and some of the electronic parts are getting tougher to find.

roadracer247

Established Member
I would 100% go for it if it was a manual. It's going to be weak no matter what, but you aren't out to win races. The only real issues are rust and some of the electronic parts are getting tougher to find.

Unfortunately it is an automatic...However it's a clean single cab 4x4 which is like a unicorn around here. Not sure if I want to go mad scientist with swapping transmissions. Although, a manual would be awesome!

Definitely not worried about winning any races. It's got a RSK lift w/ 35's and 456 gears. Luckily bass boats aren't too heavy...

Last edited:

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Unfortunately it is an automatic...However it's a clean single cab 4x4 which is like a unicorn around here. Not sure if I want to go mad scientist with swapping transmissions. Although, a manual would be awesome!

Definitely not worried about winning any races. It's got a RSK lift w/ 35's and 456 gears. Luckily bass boats aren't too heavy...

That thing will have some torque with that gearing but be prepared to go to the gas station often. Mine has the stock 3:55 gears, and it's a 4x4 on 31x10.50s. I added long tubes and an electric fan. She runs pretty decent but down low has some strong torque. I'd go for it. It'll do what you want. What are they asking for it?

roadracer247

Established Member
6k for it. I can just buy it in cash and not worry about it. Seems like the perfect beater truck option. I don't need it to be fancy. I just wanna make sure I'm not diving into a money pit. I am also looking at older diesels, but they can be a real pain in the ass from what I've seen...

I've also debated spending 30-40k on a newer diesel, but it is just completely unnecessary. Sure, a 6.7 Ford would be awesome, but I just don't need to pull that much weight. Plus, I just bought my house last year. I don't need to take on all that extra debt.

Last edited:

Regulars520

Established Member
FOr 6k, if it was clean I would rock it. It would make a good candidate for a 4bt swap.

Cummins swaps are nice. I swapped my old 05 Excursion and made it a fummins. Can be pricey though. I did all the labor myself but parts to include motor ran me 6500. But it was a freaken solid rocket when it was done.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Very reliable. The solid front axle is bullet proof and easy yo work on. The 5.8 is solid, but a bit underpowered. Take care to look the trans over. The e4od isn't very stong.

E4OD isnt strong? Huh?

Solid engine, transmission and axles. Those trucks can run forever.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
E4OD isnt strong? Huh?

As long as you keep that trans cool and don't overload it it's fine. Behind a 351 it should live forever. A tuned 7.3 pulling a load puts it in a world of hurt though.

Dusten

Established Member
E4OD isnt strong? Huh?

In stock form, nope.
As long as you keep that trans cool and don't overload it it's fine. Behind a 351 it should live forever. A tuned 7.3 pulling a load puts it in a world of hurt though.
Bingo. They can live, but if abused, die quickly.

Fwiw my 93 with a 302 and 5 speed had 225k when i sold it, my 95 with a 5.8 and e4od had 198k when sold. My gen 1 has almost 170k, but the trans has shit the bed.

Last edited:

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
E4OD isnt strong? Huh?

My 96 5.8 E4OD was used and abused as a plow truck. The drivetrain never gave me an issue, and I sold it with over 240k miles on it. It's still being used as a plow truck by the guys who bought it too. By far the best combo for that gen if you don't need a diesel.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
My 96 5.8 E4OD was used and abused as a plow truck. The drivetrain never gave me an issue, and I sold it with over 240k miles on it. It's still being used as a plow truck by the guys who bought it too. By far the best combo for that gen if you don't need a diesel.

Used in everything and very solid. Even the Lightning had the updated version which was the 4R100.

I don't know anyone who has had an issue with them.

Dusten

Established Member
Used in everything and very solid. Even the Lightning had the updated version which was the 4R100.

I don't know anyone who has had an issue with them.
Any diesel guy ive ever know ln has issues when towing heavy or when the trucks tuned.
My e4od shit the bed at 160k in a bone stock lightning

west08

Established Member
Buddy has a '96 F250 with a solid axle swap to rid of the TTB stuff. Its got like 225,000 miles on it and he says its the best truck he's ever had and he is/ was a pretty hard core chevy guy. His dad has some sort of chevy truck from almost every generation in his yard somewhere lol

Users who are viewing this thread