MGW Shifter for the Mustang Mach 1 | Coming Soon???

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
MGW Shifter for the Mustang Mach 1 | Coming Soon???

MGW_Mach_1_Shifter_009.jpg

We’ve been saying for a while that the 2021 Mach 1 may very well be the best all around Performance-for-Dollar new Mustang you can buy right now. Unfortunately, you’ll have to wait a little longer for our full review on a test model. However, on a recent trip through Georgia we stopped by MGW Shifters to see what George and the crew have been working on. Needless to say, we weren’t disappointed. Check out the vid of our visit:

Among the many awesome projects around the shop (more on that in the future) we spotted George’s new 2021 Mustang Mach 1. Currently its only mod is a custom hood stripe delete, but the real story is what may come. Though the Mach 1 uses the same transmission and shifter as the now defunct Shelby GT350 (for which MGW has had a shifter available for years), George thinks there may be room for improvement for an MGW Mach shifter.

MGW_Mach_1_Shifter_001.jpg

Yep, this is probably my favorite current Mustang.

When designing his shifter for the GT350, George had to take into consideration the natural NVH issues inherent to the 5.2L VooDoo engine’s flat plane crank. In order to provide a shifter that was not annoyingly loud or buzzy to the driver MGW had to make certain material choices and design compromises. The Mach 1 suffers no such drawback, thus George believes he may be able to wring even more performance out of a clean sheet design. If he can, the new shifter should be available in the next couple months. There's a distinct possibility that MGW will offer 2 separate shifters for the Termec 3160, a new one for the Mach 1 along side the already proven design for the Shelby GT350.

MGW_Mach_1_Shifter_008.jpg

Look at this factory junk. You know there's a ton of room for improvement here.

On another note, if the prototype Mach 1 shifter currently in development doesn’t produce any excessive NVH issues in the GT350 George tells us he’ll make the Mach shifter available for the Shelby as well. It appears that George’s confidence is high in that regard, as MGW has currently pulled its already stellar GT350 shifter from production in anticipation of the Mach 1 unit. One thing is for certain, as soon as George has a prototype shifter hot off the CNC machines we’ll be headed back down to Augusta for the install and to bring you guys a thorough review.

MGW_Mach_1_Shifter_002.jpg
MGW_Mach_1_Shifter_003.jpg
MGW_Mach_1_Shifter_004.jpg
MGW_Mach_1_Shifter_005.jpg
MGW_Mach_1_Shifter_006.jpg
MGW_Mach_1_Shifter_007.jpg

-SID297

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is great news for new Mach 1 owners, and for GT-350 owners looking to upgrade their shifter in the near future.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This is great, I hope they come back out with a GT350 version. I need one for my car.

There will be a GT350 shifter one way or another. George just didn't want a batch of them laying around if this new design will work on the GT350 as well as the Mach 1, while being better than the already released GT350 shifter. If the upcoming Mach 1 design has too much NVH on the GT350 MGW will start running its already great GT350 shifter design again alongside the new design for the Mach 1.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
One of my buddies just picked up a fighter jet gray Mach 1. So far I haven’t got to ride in it. But I love everything about it.

Julius Georgia

Hello to all.
My first post to this forum. Purchased a 2020 gt350 in Conway, SC on the way to Myrtle Beach for some vacation about a month ago.
Now in understand! I had called MGW to find out about purchasing a shifter. The lady on the phone said that it was being re-engineered for the gt500? Didn't think that sounded right. So, let me have one for my gt350 or a Mach 1. I'll take either one. Strange thing is I only live about 20 minutes from MGW!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Hello to all.
My first post to this forum. Purchased a 2020 gt350 in Conway, SC on the way to Myrtle Beach for some vacation about a month ago.
Now in understand! I had called MGW to find out about purchasing a shifter. The lady on the phone said that it was being re-engineered for the gt500? Didn't think that sounded right. So, let me have one for my gt350 or a Mach 1. I'll take either one. Strange thing is I only live about 20 minutes from MGW!

Welcome to SVTP.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That composite hood does look pretty nice, although it loses the minimal Mach 1 styling from the original. I do like the position of the vents.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The common comments are that the shifts are shorter than the stock shifter and the feel is more solid (night and day difference). If you haven’t seen this MGW video, you need to watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread