MGW Gives Us a Look at the 2015 Mustang Stock Shifter and Their Billet Prototype

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
So through so impressive back door dealings MGW Shifters managed to obtain a factory 2015 Mustang MT-82 shifter before the cars we released for sale. We've been holding these pics for a few days but can finally share them with you. George@MGW had the following to say about Ford's latest wares for the Getrag 6 spd tranny:

George@MGW said:
The 2015 Mustang shifter is not much of an improvement over the 2011-2014. The reverse lockout design is just not good, VERY flimsy and low tech. Also, the inner bushings are the same as previous and there is no internal springs for better 2-3 gear loading. MGW will have a much better performing alternative this Fall. We are incorporating an amazing new coating technology available to us through our firearms/military contacts. We have also decided to retain the "push down" for reverse design, from the earlier MT-82 models, on our shifter.

The 2015 base is now two pieces, similar to MGW's design for the 2011-2014 Mustang.

MGW_2015_Stock_Shifter_001.jpg

However, it still uses the same cheap/thin bushings from the 2011-2014 shifters.

MGW_2015_Stock_Shifter_002.jpg

The factory bushings are simply inadequate on a performance vehicle.

MGW_2015_Stock_Shifter_003.jpg

The bolts in this pic will allow for the shift lever to be removed from the upper box. Most aftermarket shifters will likely only replace the factory lever.

MGW_2015_Stock_Shifter_004.jpg

Here you can see the cheap plastic "pull-up" for reverse mechanism.

MGW_2015_Stock_Shifter_005.jpg

I wonder how well that piece will hold up to years of hear and use?

MGW_2015_Stock_Shifter_006.jpg

The support arm is now cast into the upper box. The linkage features a cast piece, along even more sections and joints than the previous generation.

MGW_2015_Stock_Shifter_007.jpg

So now it's time for a peak behind the curtains at MGW's prototype MT-82 shifter for the 2015 Mustang.

The shift linkage actuator arm is made from steel with a hardened coating from the firearms industry.

MGW_2015_Stock_Shifter_008.jpg

The billet shift box features machined bronze bushings for the ultimate in precision shifting.

MGW_2015_Stock_Shifter_009.jpg

This shifter will also includes MGW's tunable rear bracket and shift assist springs.

MGW_2015_Stock_Shifter_010.jpg

-SID297:beer:

skwerl

Banned
Pure sex right there. :bowdown:

I wonder if the trans will need to be dropped to access that front bolt on the strut arm.

Zemedici

Established Member
Sweet! Looks like a drastic improvement over the borderline inadequate factory design. Nice work MGW!

Todd03Blown

Established Member
Holy piece of art that shifter is!! I remember meeting George years ago when they opened up their business. I certainly know what shifter will be going in my '15GT PP, THIS ONE!!

Mustangfresk196

Established Member
Thats a nicely machined piece. I cant wait to see what aftermarket parts come out for these cars. Hopefully some will translate to the 11-14 models.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I wonder if the trans will need to be dropped to access that front bolt on the strut arm.

I doubt it. From the looks of it the entire shifter assembly will have to be removed to install any sort of aftermarket unit.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
George has raised the bar extremely high. Our current government will have to intervene somehow and level the playing field so that everybody gets a fair shot.

Thanks for documenting this Travis. Nice to see innovation is still alive and well.

jshen

Established Member
Price?

This unit looks amazing....and expensive. Any idea on where this will be price-wise?

SCalla1384

Established Member

It shouldnt. I could access mine when I dropped it with the trans up there.

If anything, just drop the crossmember, pain in the ass on you're back but nothing crazy

skwerl

Banned
I'm thinking the driveshaft is going to have to come out.

Only 4 bolts to pull the front of the driveshaft. Despite the instructions saying it wasn't necessary, I pulled my driveshaft for my MGW install and again when I installed the Blowfish bracket. No way am I going to manipulate all those little nuts and bolts while trying to squeeze my fingers between the driveshaft and body, then working blind because I can't see what I'm doing.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This unit looks amazing....and expensive. Any idea on where this will be price-wise?

Word is that it will be comparable in price to their 2011-2014 shifter.

Only 4 bolts to pull the front of the driveshaft. Despite the instructions saying it wasn't necessary, I pulled my driveshaft for my MGW install and again when I installed the Blowfish bracket. No way am I going to manipulate all those little nuts and bolts while trying to squeeze my fingers between the driveshaft and body, then working blind because I can't see what I'm doing.

I don't think you'll be able to get the stock shifter out of a 2015 with the driveshaft in place.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Looks like a nice piece! What is the weight differential between the MGW and stock?

Users who are viewing this thread