MGW Gen 1

HKusp

Established Member
I currently have a Barton shifter on my '09 and I like it but really don't have anything to compare it to as it was on the car when I purchased it. I have heard that the MGW is a nicer unit and there is one for sale locally that is for $250 and looks to be brand new. I know they are on a Gen 2 version at this point, but if the MGW gen 1 is an upgrade, I would be willing to pull the trigger. Any insight from anyone that is "in the know" regarding this?

PM-Performance

Established Member
I would not bother with the gen1. Gen2 or dont bother IMHO. Esp if you already have a Barton.
i think the only thing gained from the MGW gen2 off the top of my head is the rear support. Maybe a more precise action.

If you plan on really running the car hard and racing it, do yourself a favor and get the CHE K member tq brace as well to mitigate any lockout issues. The shifter itself will not fix this problem and will more than likely create it without tightening down the trans from shifting.

I have pretty detailed videos on the MGW overview and install as well as the CHE brace install on my Youtube channel for these cars. I have not experienced a single bit of lockout since adding the CHE brace

MGW video:

CHE Brace video:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Weren't the MGW1 and the Barton very similar in design and performance? If I remember correctly, the MGW1 came out and the Barton followed quickly after that for the GT500 application.

R

RLB01

Established Member
Have had a Gen 1 on my 07 for years which has given me very good service. However, for $250 and trouble of installing I would leave the Barton in place.

HKusp

Established Member
Thank you all for the replies. Based off of the input, I will just keep my Barton for the time being and when the time is right opt for a Gen 2 MGW. I appreciate the knowledge shared here by you guys and it helps save aggravation, time and money.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Smart decision. The Barton shifter is a good one, so you're going to be fine. Your original post started out with "I currently have a Barton shifter on my '09 and I like it but really don't have anything to compare it to as it was on the car when I purchased it". I always say if you're happy with a specific mod (meaning you have no real issues with it), then why spend money on a different brand. That money (and time) could be used elsewhere. JMO.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Weren't the MGW1 and the Barton very similar in design and performance? If I remember correctly, the MGW1 came out and the Barton followed quickly after that for the GT500 application.

R

The original Barton prototype design showed at MW years back actually violated an MGW patent.

HKusp

Established Member
Smart decision. The Barton shifter is a good one, so you're going to be fine. Your original post started out with "I currently have a Barton shifter on my '09 and I like it but really don't have anything to compare it to as it was on the car when I purchased it". I always say if you're happy with a specific mod (meaning you have no real issues with it), then why spend money on a different brand. That money (and time) could be used elsewhere. JMO.

I understand that stance and truly appreciate it Bob, but I, like many around here, am not completely satisfied with my car and enjoy modding it to improve it. I have heard great things about the MGW shifters and was presented with the opportunity to buy the one mentioned but wasn't sure if it would be an actual upgrade. That is why I love this community here. It has helped me make good decisions regarding maintaining as well as modding the car.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The original Barton prototype design showed at MW years back actually violated an MGW patent.

I didn't know about the "patent violation", but I had seen the two in side-by-side pictures many years ago when they were both the hype, and they were "extremely similar" in design and structure, and I was sure that the functionality would be nearly identical between the two.

I still like the Shelby/Barton that SPP sold a few years ago the best, just for the stick...........

004.jpg

R

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I didn't know about the "patent violation", but I had seen the two in side-by-side pictures many years ago when they were both the hype, and they were "extremely similar" in design and structure, and I was sure that the functionality would be nearly identical between the two.

I still like the Shelby/Barton that SPP sold a few years ago the best, just for the stick...........

View attachment 1623459

R

It was Barton trying to replicate MGW's patented adjustable throw. The Gen 2 MGW design is the best I've driven.

devilish64

Established Member
Ive had the kr shifter.... the mgw gen 2 and the barton..... i never cared for the mgw in my 07 so i sold it for the barton and i like it better for me and my driving style. I wouldnt spend any money on any other shifter if i already had the barton installed imo.

Users who are viewing this thread