MG 2001 Cobra Terminator Swap - Build Thread

josephcostello

Established Member
Well folks I'm afraid this is going to be my second to last post in this thread for a while. If i'm being honest, I've been kind of burned out which has dwindled the spark for really completing the build.

What does it mean for the car? Well it's certainly not going anywhere. There's just been a ton of other things going on in my life and truth be told, I spent a lot more money doing this car then I had planned for, lol. Every part of this car has been paid for by me, and at 23, I exceeded the amount that I had allotted for this car. Therefore, there are things I want done to the car still that I'm pushing back paint until later this year. The first will be paint. Then the car will get minor bolt ons, which I'll be buying over the next few months. i'm planning for a full bassani system, a new jlt intake, EGR delete and a quality tune (probably through lund). I already have a BigAir MAF and 2.76 waiting for it. I also strongly dislike the stocks tank and the cooling system layout/cross over pipe configuration. The plan is a Cobra Engineering cross over delete set up paired with a Harpell Fab's 2-in-1 tank which will clean it up a lot more.

But until all of that, the Cobra will be unfortunately sitting next to my father's CTS V under a cover in the garage. My career path took a complete 180 and I'm moving out of state in less than two weeks and the Arizona heat is no match for this car. It really does suck, tears will be shed saying goodbye to it for 3-5 months, but that's life.

But I'll leave this on a more positive note, building this car has been an absolute honor. Having taken both cars completely apart, I have an even greater love and appreciation for these cars. The late nights spent on this car and the stress it put me through has been oh so worth it. I would do it again 10x over. Are there things I would've done differently? Oh definitely. But I'm okay forgetting about finishing the car for a while, it's all part of the journey.

I will finish this post with the last pictures of the donor car. I tried to sell the shell complete with the interior and top kind of hoping somebody would save it. But in the end, the donor was just way too rough to make it worth it for somebody. So I sold the interior and kept the top for my next cobra (hint hint). There was also a few other parts I boxed up for future cars.
2-1.jpg

2.jpg

I want to shoot a complete walk around video for you guys, probably early next week when the car's smogged. I've been battling finding the right belt for my stock idler pulley set up right now so it hasn't been running for the last week.

52merc

Established Member
Good luck with the new job. We can all understand your need to get on with life. Cars like ours should be hobbies and thus treated so. I really enjoyed your build and your posts. Thanks.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Sucks you had to bring it to a halt like that. This has been fun to follow.
Since you pulled the interior from the donor car, I don't suppose you have a spare fog light switch do ya?

josephcostello

Established Member
Good luck with the new job. We can all understand your need to get on with life. Cars like ours should be hobbies and thus treated so. I really enjoyed your build and your posts. Thanks.
Absolutely! A change of plans is all.
Sucks you had to bring it to a halt like that. This has been fun to follow.
Since you pulled the interior from the donor car, I don't suppose you have a spare fog light switch do ya?
And i've had a ton of fun updating this thread and sharing everything I've gone through. It will definitely be updated once there's further progress on the car. I do not have that switch, it was sold to a local guy who was gonna put everything in his 98.

SVT Adam

Established Member
Best of luck man! You'll come back to your build hungrier than ever and the build will show. We'll be here waiting lol

josephcostello

Established Member
This was my final goodbye to the car....for the next 3-5 months at least. Shot this right after I got the car smogged. Not going to lie a tear or two was shed putting it under a cover but that's life. I can't wait to come back hungrier than ever and get her painted. See you guys in a bit!

BossMane

Established Member
Great job Joseph! This build has been fun to follow, and I'm proud of the minor role I played in your project! It'll be awesome to see the next evolution when you return.
Stay safe my friend!

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
It’s been fun reading this thread, great job on the car!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Bonehead822000

Very cool - congratls on your hard work!!

I did (paid for, to be honest) the whole Terminator swap on my '02 Cobra - I sourced everything - drivetrain swap-out, seats, bumpers, side-scoops, hood, trunklid & spoiler, Brembos, Cobra-R wheels (copies), 2.3L Whipple, BAP, JLT, SBTB etc, found a KM/H Cobra Cluster in Canada etc.

It's never been PERFECT (the tuners in Australia had a lot of trouble getting it this close) but it's mostly 'good-enough'.
‘02 Cobra???????? Maybe Canadia only?

FleeMan

Established Member
Premium Member
Any updates on this? Probably one of the better build threads on here and was hoping to have more to read about. Hope all is well man.

josephcostello

Established Member
Any updates on this? Probably one of the better build threads on here and was hoping to have more to read about. Hope all is well man.
Thanks man! That honestly means a lot....short answer - no. I've moved and been working out of state ever since May of last year. I very much want to finish the car and I have not loss interest/desire at all. I have the means to finish it....Just haven't been in a position where I can take the car with me. I've driven it a few times when I've been home but nothing has really changed. I've been starting to stockpile more parts for it tho....NOS bullitt side scoops.
unnamed-18.jpg

NOS 03/04 shift knob.
unnamed-17.jpg

An ultra low mile set of 10th anniversary mats. I gave my existing pair to a friend.
unnamed-16.jpg

New 03/04 end caps and found a NOS 03/04 driver's side skirt. These will be painted and put on the car and the silver set I have will get sanded and primed and put in storage.
unnamed-19.jpg

Have some more small stuff I've bought. Planning on a magnum, aftermarket k member and shorty headers.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Thank you

Whoops didn't proof read. Meant to say discontinued, usually more expensive than when they were new. So not new time wise but not used, so new. I think you got the idea though. Not always my most accurate with the old thumb (yes singular) and auto correct.

I still don't get why we dropped T9.

Users who are viewing this thread