MG 2001 Cobra Terminator Swap - Build Thread

01vert

Established Member
NOS is New Old Stock. A new part that has been typically discontinued by the manufacturer but is still new in box. Differentiates between new and available and new but unavailable. Muscle car parts that were NOS were a big thing on a correct restoration. Usually meant the date codes were correct too.

josephcostello

Established Member
When I built my flathead V8 about 30 years ago I got a NOS distributor for it. It was still in the Ford box and wrapped in wax paper.
That's awesome. I love all my new parts lol. It's just hard balancing actually using the parts or keeping them new.

josephcostello

Established Member
Just wanted to update those who have followed this closely. I know this has been a disappointing thread for a few of you guys who've followed this since day 1 and tbh when I come home and see the car sitting just how I left it a year it's hard for me as well.

Well yesterday I drove the car to charge the battery and put fresh gas in it. On my way back up the driveway I heard a ticking/slight knock. I know the car had oil in it so I took the belt off and I isolated the sound to the supercharger. Sounds like the snout bearing is bad. I haven't checked the oil and frankly don't think I will. At this point the car is not going to be driven anymore. I'm moving out to Houston this week for 5 months and think i'm going to settle in Austin late summer.

I think this is all a message from the car to get off my a** and finish it. I'm not going to make promises of what i'm going to do because frankly I need to forget about it for a bit and focus on my work. I am going to promise three things: the car is going to be back apart after mid September, I'm replacing the blower and not putting another eaton on the car, and THE CAR IS GOING TO BE FINISHED. I could type out a 2 page list of everything I don't like about the car/wish I did different - all of which will be addressed.

Until then, we all have to wait. I love this car and I can't wait to finish it. Heard the rumor of an SVTP event sometime next year, this car will be there.
Screen Shot 2023-04-02 at 7.31.34 AM.png

52merc

Established Member
I'm sure I write for all of us that have followed you through your adventure. Do what you need to do for your job. Get settled in and when you are ready, start on the car (again). Austin is a nice area.

Good luck and I will patiently wait for your saga to continue.

josephcostello

Established Member
I'm sure I write for all of us that have followed you through your adventure. Do what you need to do for your job. Get settled in and when you are ready, start on the car (again). Austin is a nice area.

Good luck and I will patiently wait for your saga to continue.
Thanks for the support man. Gonna be inactive on all socials just to allow myself to get my head in the right space.

I have way too much time and money invested at this point to give up. Funny because I actually had a budget when I first started, that ended quickly. Just there's so many things that have gotten in the way with this car, from May-October last year I lived in Arizona then after I moved to Hawaii up until 2 weeks ago - now Texas. I've seen the car maybe four times in all of that time.

Next update on this thread will be mid September. See you guys then!

01vert

Established Member
Just wanted to update those who have followed this closely. I know this has been a disappointing thread for a few of you guys who've followed this since day 1 and tbh when I come home and see the car sitting just how I left it a year it's hard for me as well.

Well yesterday I drove the car to charge the battery and put fresh gas in it. On my way back up the driveway I heard a ticking/slight knock. I know the car had oil in it so I took the belt off and I isolated the sound to the supercharger. Sounds like the snout bearing is bad. I haven't checked the oil and frankly don't think I will. At this point the car is not going to be driven anymore. I'm moving out to Houston this week for 5 months and think i'm going to settle in Austin late summer.

I think this is all a message from the car to get off my a** and finish it. I'm not going to make promises of what i'm going to do because frankly I need to forget about it for a bit and focus on my work. I am going to promise three things: the car is going to be back apart after mid September, I'm replacing the blower and not putting another eaton on the car, and THE CAR IS GOING TO BE FINISHED. I could type out a 2 page list of everything I don't like about the car/wish I did different - all of which will be addressed.

Until then, we all have to wait. I love this car and I can't wait to finish it. Heard the rumor of an SVTP event sometime next year, this car will be there. View attachment 1788018
Could you list the things you would do differently? It would be nice to see the issues based on your experience. Hopefully doing the swap soon myself.

josephcostello

Established Member
Could you list the things you would do differently? It would be nice to see the issues based on your experience. Hopefully doing the swap soon myself.
For one I would have bought a cleaner parts car. I ended up not using as many parts as I could have if I bought something with lower miles/waited for something to pop up with more aftermarket parts. Second I wouldn't haven taken time off of work to build this thing, yes I had plenty more time but I found myself well over double my budget. Lastly, I wish I went a bit slower. If I had to do it again I would have done the whole car besides the engine/transmission, and then slowly put the engine together on an engine stand and wait to have everything before I put it all together and got it running.

josephcostello

Established Member
Well I suppose I owe this thread an update lol. Really unfortunate how life has gotten in the way of this thing but I have started collecting parts and creating an action plan for this car. After many hours of research I decided to go with a 2.3VMP over the new 2.65 for a variety of reasons and found a pretty clean one with some extra goodies. The setup will be a Gen2 with Accufab throttle body, VMP 5in intake/filter/slot style MAF, and I have two Griptech pulleys (3.0 & 2.8). I am undecided on fuel yet, but I'm leaning towards return style only if I can't just upgrade my pumps/injectors and leave the FPDM alone. Also bought some new stuff from Ford, 99/01 bezels, rear bumper markers, front pony emblem, and a couple other misc items. Since I have most of the exterior pieces, I'm leaning towards starting with paint/body first while I slowly collect the rest of the engine pieces. Thanks to those still following this car. Next update will be me tearing into this thing.
unnamed-5.jpg
unnamed-7.jpg
unnamed-6.jpg

Badaz01

Established Member
Well I suppose I owe this thread an update lol. Really unfortunate how life has gotten in the way of this thing but I have started collecting parts and creating an action plan for this car. After many hours of research I decided to go with a 2.3VMP over the new 2.65 for a variety of reasons and found a pretty clean one with some extra goodies. The setup will be a Gen2 with Accufab throttle body, VMP 5in intake/filter/slot style MAF, and I have two Griptech pulleys (3.0 & 2.8). I am undecided on fuel yet, but I'm leaning towards return style only if I can't just upgrade my pumps/injectors and leave the FPDM alone. Also bought some new stuff from Ford, 99/01 bezels, rear bumper markers, front pony emblem, and a couple other misc items. Since I have most of the exterior pieces, I'm leaning towards starting with paint/body first while I slowly collect the rest of the engine pieces. Thanks to those still following this car. Next update will be me tearing into this thing.
View attachment 1820070View attachment 1820071View attachment 1820072
It’ll all be worth it when it’s done. I’m tearing into my engine again as well. Gotta love it!

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Love the attention to detail, and cleanliness in your stylistic approach. You're making a really sweet car.

Looking forward to the rest of the story!

SsnakeSVT03

Established Member
View attachment 1820070View attachment 1820071View attachment 1820072
If you do stay returnless and only upgrade the pumps and injectors, you will need a modified FPDM or dual FPDM setup along with the wire upgrade. Otherwise you’ll have issues such as FPDM thermal shut downs, pumps not getting enough voltage etc.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread