Merry Christmas to me!!!

jgt58

Established Member
Just picked up this beauty....

2014 mustang GT 5.0 6 speed manual

Roush axle backs

Black on Black leather interior

Track apps

I love this car. I just ordered a slew of accessories and a prepainted California special wing, but engine wise I'm getting older and a tune is all about I'm going to do to the car. But I do have a question as the brakes are something else to be desired.

I have the 19x8.5 premium wheels. Will these things clear a set of 4 piston Brembos? Going to add them.

Here's some pics of her...

This thing is a far cry from my old 96 cobra. Not looking back!

20191214_205210.jpeg
1590826625.jpeg
1590826632.jpeg
1590826668.jpeg
1590826653.jpeg
1590826660.jpeg
20191215_122411.jpeg
1590826639.jpeg

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice! I also had a black 2014 and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
@jgt58 Nice Stang. Black out those tail lights ;). To answer your question yes. You’d be good for certain 18s as well. 19s no matter what will totally clear. Might want to check out a short shift kit by Steeda or someone too. Will make the points feel a little crisper Drivin. Enjoy

FJohnny

Established Member
Good choice! (From another '14 guy). I also liked the car as is and decided to only lightly mod. My favorites to mine so far are:

For the drive, Steeda sport springs and Koni shocks/struts. Dropped stance an inch and took out the wallowing ride. Unless you are tracking your car you'll likely never overpower your current brakes. Same price as Brembo swap but you'll feel the difference every moment of your ride. The Brembos look good, though...

For pure enjoyment, 13-14 GT500 rear valance and quad exhaust. Sound matters.

For extra fun, Whipple supercharger. At first I didn't even realize I needed this. Turns out I did. And I'm probably older than you. This made it a whole new car for me and gets two thumbs up.

Anyway, nice get. Enjoy!

Norm Peterson

Established Member
Nice.

But I do have a question as the brakes are something else to be desired.
Is what you want here mostly about braking performance or is it an appearance thing? Just so you know, as an occasional road course track-day driver I'm all about performance when it comes to brakes, not on what they might look like.

Braking performance - stronger initial 'bite' or better fade resistance - can be remedied by just changing the pads away from OE/mass-market-replacement to pads of somewhat higher performance intent.

Perhaps something like G-loc's R6 compound or at most R8. You may get some dust and occasional squeaking during gentle slowing, but you'll always have full confidence that they'll get you stopped. Carbotech has similar compounds (AX-6, XP-8), and the reason I'm mentioning those names rather than Hawk is because Hawks in anything above HPS tend to be overly abrasive on your rotors (been there) and the original HPS formulation doesn't feel any better than OE at all (been there too).

The 14" SVT/Brembos are very good brakes (I'm now running those), and would be a solid choice if you see yourself ever getting into doing HPDE track days (I started doing that at age 64). Or if you frequently drive with a lot of . . . let's call it "enthusiasm" . . . on hilly, curvy roads. Perhaps a slight overkill for lower speed driving in congested flatland areas.

I agree with Johnny concerning the Konis (yellows here) and firmer springing (BMRs). Possibly aftermarket sta-bars (Strano). Such mods can do wonders for the car's composure during hard driving, particularly where cornering is involved.

Norm

Reaper14

Established Member
Nice car & congrats! Let me know if you looking for any parts for it. I have a Barton & Eibach springs along with some sway bars lightly used I could hook you uup with. Enjoy!

Vic

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I'll have some steeda ultralite springs for sale here in a couple of weeks. They are nearly new and only have 3k Mike's on them. If you pay for shipping I'll throw in my stock struts with 8k miles on them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

jgt58

Established Member
Well I'm just tired of the subpar brakes. I've had stupid 96 cobra brakes forever. Even put stoptech brake package on... Very little difference. I was testing out the 60 to 0 time on a straightaway and to say it's not good is an understatement.

Felt very unsafe as well..... So I want a budget build as it's a daily with some spirited driving. My wife drives it spirited as well. I want her to be safe. As for looks , not concerned. I have the 19x8.5 wheels but they don't show alot if rotor so I'm not worried about that.

When your doing fast speeds I want to be able to slow this thing down.....

Nice.

Is what you want here mostly about braking performance or is it an appearance thing? Just so you know, as an occasional road course track-day driver I'm all about performance when it comes to brakes, not on what they might look like.

Braking performance - stronger initial 'bite' or better fade resistance - can be remedied by just changing the pads away from OE/mass-market-replacement to pads of somewhat higher performance intent.

Perhaps something like G-loc's R6 compound or at most R8. You may get some dust and occasional squeaking during gentle slowing, but you'll always have full confidence that they'll get you stopped. Carbotech has similar compounds (AX-6, XP-8), and the reason I'm mentioning those names rather than Hawk is because Hawks in anything above HPS tend to be overly abrasive on your rotors (been there) and the original HPS formulation doesn't feel any better than OE at all (been there too).

The 14" SVT/Brembos are very good brakes (I'm now running those), and would be a solid choice if you see yourself ever getting into doing HPDE track days (I started doing that at age 64). Or if you frequently drive with a lot of . . . let's call it "enthusiasm" . . . on hilly, curvy roads. Perhaps a slight overkill for lower speed driving in congested flatland areas.

I agree with Johnny concerning the Konis (yellows here) and firmer springing (BMRs). Possibly aftermarket sta-bars (Strano). Such mods can do wonders for the car's composure during hard driving, particularly where cornering is involved.

Norm
1590826668.jpeg

jgt58

Established Member
Get me a price bro! The struts need replacing and want to retain stock feel
I'll have some steeda ultralite springs for sale here in a couple of weeks. They are nearly new and only have 3k Mike's on them. If you pay for shipping I'll throw in my stock struts with 8k miles on them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
You picked the best color OP...

I miss mine....

2-BAE8-FE0-F334-414-C-BB3-F-F549753-C41-C3.jpg

8-E685411-24-BB-4-A64-9-D9-E-C8869-FD8863-C.jpg

AE2-C5940-A85-A-4-BC5-8015-303-A75-FCF121.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Norm Peterson

Established Member
Barton? Hmmmmm.... I think I'm just gonna get the blowfish bracket. My wife dislikes short throws
Can't say as I blame her. Short-throw shifters are generally 'notchier' in their operation, and I hated that about an aftermarket shifter that I installed on my '08. Notchiness is likely to bother you if your shift technique is more about 'guiding' the shift lever from gear to gear; not so much if you just ram the lever across the pattern.

Spending OPM dep't: you could always get the Barton (or an MGW, for that matter) and lengthen the shift lever a couple of inches.
Spending less OPM, fabbing up a shift lever extension piece is not out of the realm of possibility for a DIY'er.

Norm

Norm Peterson

Established Member
Well I'm just tired of the subpar brakes. I've had stupid 96 cobra brakes forever. Even put stoptech brake package on... Very little difference. I was testing out the 60 to 0 time on a straightaway and to say it's not good is an understatement.

Felt very unsafe as well..... So I want a budget build as it's a daily with some spirited driving. My wife drives it spirited as well. I want her to be safe. As for looks , not concerned. I have the 19x8.5 wheels but they don't show alot if rotor so I'm not worried about that.

When your doing fast speeds I want to be able to slow this thing down.....
On a budget, just do the pads and maybe a set of Centric plain rotors if they're marginal (Tire Rack). The pads I mentioned do cost more than the pads you can buy at Autozone or any of the other mass-market parts stores, but the mass-market stuff isn't going to give you what you want here.

I was running road course HPDE events on a car with even smaller front rotors than yours, with full confidence that they were going to get me slowed down every time. Pretty sure I was on XP12's up front and XP10's out back but my point is that your 13.2" front brakes will be plenty for any street use if you give them pads with satisfactory bite and braking power. You won't be doing the following once a minute for 20 minutes in a row on the street.
124.jpg

6 seconds later . . .
64.jpg

lap after lap after lap after . . .

Norm

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congrats! Definitely a nice upgrade from your '96 Cobra. How old are the brake pads that came on the car? I like Norm's idea of replacing the pads for better performance. Unless you're going to be road racing, that option might be enough.

When you say "high speeds", what are we talking? 65? 75? 90? 125+?

Users who are viewing this thread