Megasquirt Released for 96-98s !!!

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
They have released a mega squirt system for the 96-98 cars finally! It will be interesting to see some people start using this. It’s probably inevitable that one will be going on my car at some point.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
I’m interested to see how involved it is to use their option for switching to real coil on plug. I asked someone who seems to be associated with diyautotune but he gave me an empty answer.
3FD77275-090E-4E57-8AE1-74CE6064A681.jpeg

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m interested to see how involved it is to use their option for switching to real coil on plug. I asked someone who seems to be associated with diyautotune but he gave me an empty answer.View attachment 1752450

so basically you can wire it up to run a different coil set up or can do the COP harness conversion is how I read it... is it Red Monster or something like that with a thread on here selling the conversion harness? Alternatively I think a guy local to me makes them as well.

ZD302GT

Zach
Established Member
I don’t think it’s that simple. The factory computer and wiring harness only supports four coil signals I believe since it fires two at a time. I would think you would have to add another four signals to the harness.

I already run a red monster cop harness with the factory computer and harness but I deal with spark blowout at upper rpms so true COP along with keeping factory dash and the ability to run flex fuel are big points for me.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I don't think the RM harness will work as it is designed for wasted spark and four outputs. Basically 2 plugs sharing a output. What I got out of his reply the MS3 is wasted spark by default but there is additional 4 outputs built into the ECU that can be turned on for COP. I've also been waiting for this ECU and like you, my main question is how to convert it to true COP.

96dreamer

Established Member
I'm running a ls2 coil setup on my 96 with an ms3pro I wired up a few years ago. I kept it wasted spark to simplify wiring. Their dwell in wasted spark shouldn't give any issues unless you're turning some pretty ridiculous rpms. Using the stock coil wiring as signal wiring I just added another constant 12v/ ground for the coils. Should be able to do the same thing with the pnp setup.

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
I'm running a ls2 coil setup on my 96 with an ms3pro I wired up a few years ago. I kept it wasted spark to simplify wiring. Their dwell in wasted spark shouldn't give any issues unless you're turning some pretty ridiculous rpms. Using the stock coil wiring as signal wiring I just added another constant 12v/ ground for the coils. Should be able to do the same thing with the pnp setup.

I was wondering about the dwell. In my mind that would be the only issue. But you pretty well cleared that up in this post. With that said, the Red Monster harness should work then, in wasted spark and converting it to COP.

96dreamer

Established Member
I was wondering about the dwell. In my mind that would be the only issue. But you pretty well cleared that up in this post. With that said, the Red Monster harness should work then, in wasted spark and converting it to COP.
The redmonster harness will kind of work, I think. I believe that is set up using the factory two wire wiring so there is no constant 12v/ground circuit to use with a 4 wire coil. So you would have to add that extra circuit to use a smart coil. I think the factory cop's have some tendency to start having issues with less spark energy at some point in wasted spark.

The ls2 coils, for example, require less than 6ms of dwell for a full charge. Even at 9k rpms you're still giving each coil ~6.5ms of dwell time in a wasted spark configuration.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread