Meet Rachel - Crystal White 98 Cobra Convertible Build

96GT226410

Established Member
Got my 03 center console in. The LMR paint matched a lot better on this center console than it did on the radio bezel. These cupholders are so much better and the E-brake boot is a great addition, too. I reused my original harness and extended the wires for the fog light switch and convertible top switch. Eventually I'll do the same for the rear defroster switch, but until then I'll just have a dummy switch. The USB and AUX plugs are straight from the back of the radio.
20180617_140649.jpeg
20180617_140656.jpeg
20180617_140710.jpeg
20180617_140754.jpeg
20180617_140801.jpeg
20180614_053306.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

96GT226410

Established Member
There is so much room with the K member removed. I actually laid there and said, "There so much room for activities!" Ha ha... I'm going to hopefully finish by the weekend (weather permitting).

brucesvt

Established Member
Great job saw the post on Facebook thank god your a SVTP member. I wish I did the starter and control arms when i did my shorty headers in may.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

dkblue98gt

Established Member
Great job saw the post on Facebook thank god your a SVTP member. I wish I did the starter and control arms when i did my shorty headers in may.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Nice work. I'll be interested to see what the ground clearance is for the collectors. I was amazed to see how little rubber was left in my motor mounts when I changed them.

96GT226410

Established Member
Nice work. I'll be interested to see what the ground clearance is for the collectors. I was amazed to see how little rubber was left in my motor mounts when I changed them.
Thanks. I'll take pictures of the ground clearance when I'm done. I might have to replace my springs for something that has less of a drop.

96GT226410

Established Member
Had a couple hours after work the last couple days. I got the driver's side header on, EGR on, oil dipstick tube on, and the motor mount on. It wasn't that hard to do, just time consuming because I'm an idiot. I had to take the header off about four times because there were a couple studs on the headers and one on the motor mount that had to go in at the same time as others. Hopefully I'll be able to get the passenger side apart and maybe even bolted on today.
20180717_174416.jpeg
20180717_184415.jpeg
20180717_184636.jpeg
20180717_184442.jpeg
20180718_192041.jpeg
20180718_183129.jpeg

96GT226410

Established Member
Got the passenger side header on, starter in, and the motor mount bolted up. Damn, there's two top header bolts that are a pain in the ass to do. I also made a small bracket for the passenger side O2 sensor extension that I zip tied it to.
And yeah, I know the engine is over too far to the passenger side. When I bolt my K member in I'll make sure it's centered.
20180719_193548.jpeg
20180719_201015.jpeg

Last edited:

dkblue98gt

Established Member
Got the passenger side header on, starter in, and the motor mount bolted up. Damn, there's two top bolts that are a pain in the ass to do. I also made a small bracket for the passenger side O2 sensor extension that I zip tied it to.
And yeah, I know the engine is over too far to the passenger side. When I bolt my K member in I'll make sure it's centered. View attachment 1502894View attachment 1502895

New motor mounts will make the car feel a lot smoother. Like BruceSVT said you might consider MM solid rack bushings, they make the steering much tighter.

I was looking back through your thread to see what springs you have and saw you said 2". I would love to get some longtubes but I'm worried about ground clearance. I have H&R Supersport springs with a 2" drop. I started out with the upper isolators removed but didn't have enough clearance so I put them back in.

96GT226410

Established Member
New motor mounts will make the car feel a lot smoother. Like BruceSVT said you might consider MM solid rack bushings, they make the steering much tighter.

I was looking back through your thread to see what springs you have and saw you said 2". I would love to get some longtubes but I'm worried about ground clearance. I have H&R Supersport springs with a 2" drop. I started out with the upper isolators removed but didn't have enough clearance so I put them back in.
The steering feels a lot better after I replaced the rack. I'll keep the MM solid bushing in mind. They aren't offset, right? I'll let you know about the ground clearance once I get everything bolted back up. I'd really like to get it done tonight after work, but I might not have the time.

dkblue98gt

Established Member
The steering feels a lot better after I replaced the rack. I'll keep the MM solid bushing in mind. They aren't offset, right? I'll let you know about the ground clearance once I get everything bolted back up. I'd really like to get it done tonight after work, but I might not have the time.

No the MM aluminum bushings are not off set.
Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

96GT226410

Established Member
Long tubes are in. I definitely feel the difference in power down low. Saying that, the H pipe I went with (was originally catted, but the cats were gutted) is pretty quiet. I wasn't a big fan of the raspy Bassani O/R X pipe I was using with the shortys, but this H pipe is too quiet. If I come across a cheap X pipe I'll pick it up and see how that sounds with the long tubes. I can still hear a difference in the growl the long tubes give, though. My X brace is lower than the collectors on the long tubes so I'm happy about that.
20180722_125106.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread