Medusa Version 3.0 (New Build)

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Well as some of you now know my car has been eating motors.. 3 total to be exact two of which were built by some of the top builders. The first John Tymensky of Modular Performance and the 2nd built by Shawn@AED.. All of the motor blew the same way same piston same everything.. You can follow everything prior to this thread here
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sn95-cobras-24/959878-my-e85-build-thread-other-events.html
Well AED got the car on the dyno and it was pretty much toasted.. Car would run but they couldn't get it to do anything.. Did a compression test and that was that.. All the cylinders on the drivers side where toasted.. As much of you can imagine I freaked out being that I've now blown up 3 motors..

Not knowing WTF happened (none of us did) Drew and Shaun started making phone calls.. We were all scratching our heads. Well it turns out that there have been a few cases of ECU malfuntions on fueling these cars.. Some times it takes a few motors to figure out.. But after sending Drew some pics of the stock piston that let go, Drew having pics of my last built motor, and this current built motor. It was all the same side same cylinder etc.. We've changed injectors as well so that ruled that out.. After confirming with some other tuners from Shaun he said it's probably the ECU.. There was ZERO signs of detonation on the bearings.. They looked perfect just didn't get fuel.

This lead me to the next build.. Just moving back to CA and trying to save, bought my new truck etc.. Luckily everything is going to work out for the new build.. I've had some mental set backs with wanting to part the car and just say **** it.. BUT I'm going to do this built motor thing 1 last effing time.. So here is the run down.

Sold the Boss 5.0 block in favor of a very nice stock bore 281 Teksid block.. Saving weight is now key for me..

Custom Pistons aimed at E85
Same Billet I-beam Manly rods as before
Stock stroke forged Crank
Foxlake Stg 3 Ported heads
Custom Cams
Stand Alone ECU
Rear end setup will be:

FRPP 3.73's
DPI Differential http://www.dpiracingproducts.com/products/8-8-31-spline-platinum-track.html
9" ends
Custom Axles
Fully welded tubes
Powdercoated

Sold the T-trim to my buddy Pete who has a AED built 96 Cobra..

Bought a JT-trim that has made 960 thru a auto on a 10:1 Comp motor on 20psi

I don't really care for what power it's going to make, but I'd be willing to bet it'll be a lot. I have some goals in mind for it, but again at this point I need a car that runs lol.. and doesn't eat motors.. lol.. There will be a 17psi tune for drag racing every now and again, but mainly it'll be sitting at 10psi tops for street use.. The car will be light so HP doesn't matter to me lol.

At any rate, I figured I'd start a build thread so then I don't keep changing my mind on shit lol!! On to some pics.

Blown motor and pistons and you can see the drivers side of the block is toasted:
2013091895103645_zpsc8083a86.gif

2013093095110727_zps0638b770.gif

IMG952013093095113446_zps40907de7.gif

JT-trim that I bought, you can see it should go in for a freshen up due to throwing a few belts and the seals look kinda rough.
2013120295131251_zps355ff222.gif

2013120295131330_zpsf33417dd.gif

I'll keep this thread up to date as I can.. As of right now the JT-trim is sent out to Vortech and Drew is sending the heads out at some point and along with the block to the machine shop to get it checked out and pistons ordered..

Last edited:

SVTPete83

Established Member
Hell yes! This is gonna be nasty! Glad you're going with the aluminum block too. They are strong and light. It'll serve you well sir! I know I speak for all the regular sn95 guys when I say we are excited to see this one through! Congratz buddy!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Thanks Pete. I appriecate it. I needed to make this thread a long time ago. I realized that I'm going to need support from people to make it through and not give up.. Since stuff is getting sent out now there is no turning back.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
Man I don't know what I would do if I was you... That's a shitload of money right down the ****in drain... Sorry to hear and good luck with the new build.

svt5150

Established Member
Glad you are sticking with it. Always liked your car. Drew and Shaun know their stuff so hoping this is the one for you. I'll be back up at the shop pretty soon with mine.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Man I don't know what I would do if I was you... That's a shitload of money right down the ****in drain... Sorry to hear and good luck with the new build.

Glad you are sticking with it. Always liked your car. Drew and Shaun know their stuff so hoping this is the one for you. I'll be back up at the shop pretty soon with mine.

Thanks guys.. Yes they sure do know their shit!! and I'm hoping the FAST setup makes it to where I won't lose motors anymore

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
Can you elaborate on the issue with the stock ecu? Might help some other members in the future?

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
i hear ya on the frustration. just remember, if it was easy, every riceboy would have a kick ass car.

good luck!

encasedmetal

WHINO!
Established Member
Thanks guys.. Yes they sure do know their shit!! and I'm hoping the FAST setup makes it to where I won't lose motors anymore

not up to date on my FAST software versions, but do the new ones run closed loop at WOT? IF not, highly reconsider your ECU choice- I'd recommend the new Holley setup- it's ****ing amazing

Shake&Bake

1998 Triple Black Cobra
Established Member
Really glad you decided to keep the car and rebuild. Always liked your Cobra.

Is the ECU issue only a 96 model year problem?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Can you elaborate on the issue with the stock ecu? Might help some other members in the future?

Well I don't know much about it other than that it doesn't get full power to the injectors or miss fires the injectors or something like that.. But Mihovetz has seen it, Shaun@AED has seen it, and a few others.. Maybe Shaun can step in and explain it, but from what I gathered it's a very rare thing.

Damn Dude.. Sorry about the misfortunes. Hang in there and it'll all be worth it

Thank you sir :beer:

i hear ya on the frustration. just remember, if it was easy, every riceboy would have a kick ass car.

good luck!

Thanks man :beer:

not up to date on my FAST software versions, but do the new ones run closed loop at WOT? IF not, highly reconsider your ECU choice- I'd recommend the new Holley setup- it's ****ing amazing

I'm not to sure either, but I know that it's what Drew@AED runs in all the race cars and is going to be running on all their cars.. So I'm assuming he knows what's up.. I'm going to assume that it does run closed loop or you can control it if it does or doesn't.

That's awesome man and congrats on the will and motivation. A sexy SN-95 is a rare sight.

Really glad you decided to keep the car and rebuild. Always liked your Cobra.

Is the ECU issue only a 96 model year problem?

Thanks guys.. I have a 98 Computer so I'm not to sure.. Maybe an issue with 96-98?

UPDATE: heads go out tomorrow, and block, crank and rods are at the machine shop getting checked out.

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
Well I don't know much about it other than that it doesn't get full power to the injectors or miss fires the injectors or something like that.. But Mihovetz has seen it, Shaun@AED has seen it, and a few others.. Maybe Shaun can step in and explain it, but from what I gathered it's a very rare thing.

Thank you sir :beer:

Thanks man :beer:

I'm not to sure either, but I know that it's what Drew@AED runs in all the race cars and is going to be running on all their cars.. So I'm assuming he knows what's up.. I'm going to assume that it does run closed loop or you can control it if it does or doesn't.

Thanks guys.. I have a 98 Computer so I'm not to sure.. Maybe an issue with 96-98?

UPDATE: heads go out tomorrow, and block, crank and rods are at the machine shop getting checked out.

How were they able to pinpoint it to the ecu?

Stanger00

Established Member
Awesome man. Glad you kept with it. We are all looking forward to this beast back under its own power again. This time it will be lighter, meaner and faster.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
After talking to some of the best tuners in the country who have seen this this is what they came up with based off of what the other tuners found out.. They replaced the ECU with a stand alone setup and it went away.. I don't really know more than that..

Figure this. Each motor was blower in the same cylinder same side all 3.. All three pistons looked the same, NO signes of detonation on any bearings, 3 different injectors on each motor, ALL 3 still blew up the same way same cylinder with no signs of detonation any where.. Just straight got hot and melted.. Each time the motors let go there was zero noise when the motors let go.. Spark plugs even looked fine! Pistons just melted..

oooooh snap

Stable Genius
Established Member
did you have anything wired up using the injector postive? i believe meziere's wp installation insctructions say to tap in to that to trigger the relay.

Users who are viewing this thread