McLeod Twin Disc RST clutch WOW

SVT5.4L

Established Member
I've got 25k total and about 9k since my Whipple on my stock clutch, it still holds WOT in 6th at full boost.:shrug:

Yet after driving a friends 04 with one of these and then reading this thread, I AM READY TO RIP IT OUT and put in this McLeod RST!

I am killing this 58 year old KNEE!

I need to do this, I will probably fall in love all over again with this car!

Do it! That's the exact reason I was inspired to post this thread, I honestly fell in love with it all over again.

SVT5.4L

Established Member
im almost ready for a new clutch , what fly wheel are you guys using with this clutch

It's compatible with all of the major brand aftermarket flywheels (Fidanza, Spec, Centerforce) as well as the OEM. Lethal performance sells the a new insert for $79 for the spec flywheels as well. Ford does not sell inserts seperate from the flywheel however you can resurface it very eaisly, any reputable transmission shop will do it for under $50.00. I elected to go with the OEM flywheel, and OEM clutch cable.

AKcobra

Established Member
I just installed the RST, Spec flywheel (I didnt think mine was bad,but upon removal I found it to worn beyond resurfacing), fiore firewall adjuster, and steeda quadrant in my car last weekend. My adjuster is out pretty far so I ordered a new cable from the dealer, and will be installing that too. I can tell you the pedal effort has drastically improved, but due to snow and ice I wont be puttting 500 miles on anytime soon. I am moving to Texas in March so i'm sure I can knock those miles out real quick down there.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Mine would slip on street hits.
Funny yours sliped. My stock clutch didn't even slip on street hits @ 700/650. :??: Maybe you had it adjusted wrong?

HP ratings are generic guidelines the "800HP" is not specifically base off the 03/04 cobra.
Neither are the ratings for the T56. Even if the HP rating were close, I would consider it. Yes, we all know the ratings are usually "Underated" not "Overated". So 800 HP doesn't even come close to the 450 ft lbs rating of the T56.

Even McLeod Doesn't recommend the RST for High HP cobra's.
Then why would they rate it at 800 HP? :??::shrug:

It's not your driving habits it's the Power/weight of your car. Full weight cobra with more than 550 HP this clutch is not the right choice. The RXT feels the SAME and costs only 200 bucks more.
It may feel the same but who needs 1000 HP rating when the transmission is only rated for less than half that? :??::shrug:

It says you are selling your 2.3 whipple so your either Upgrading to more power or going smaller. If it is upgrading I have not idea why you would put a weak link into the car on purpose?
I would rather have the clutch as the "Weak Link" than the transmission. It is MUCH easier and cheaper to replace.

But either way it is your car and if you can make a 2.3 whipple car last on a stock clutch you obviously don't drive your car enough anyway.
I have almost 19,000 miles on my car. And my car runs just fine with 700 RWHP and has for several thousand miles. What does driving my car enough have anything to do with again? Oh yeah, Nothing!

so with that said the RST will work great for parking your car in your garage. :beer:
I'm sure it will work just fine in my garage or on the street. Exactly for what I use it for.

450HP rating on the T56? Mine must have never got that memo.... :rockon:
Well, it is VERY OBVOIUS your lack of knowledge runs deep. So for that I am truly sorry.

Here is the TQ Rating right from Tremec.

TUET-1694 2003-2004 Mustang Cobra 450 Torque Rating

Edit: If it does not perform as advertised I will take it up with Lethal Performance and Mcleod. I'm sure with their great reputation it will be taken care of.

Last edited:

Stroked03Cobra

SVT Crazy!
Established Member
I too have the RST and hate it due to not being able to work the clutch without burning it up. Like everyone else, it has maybe 1000 miles on it and started slipping on my 712 rwhp dyno run. It kind of makes me not want to go with the same manufacturer but I do like what people have to say about the RXT. Magnum T56 with new clutch setup will be going in, in a few months.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I too have the RST and hate it due to not being able to work the clutch without burning it up. Like everyone else, it has maybe 1000 miles on it and started slipping on my 712 rwhp dyno run. It kind of makes me not want to go with the same manufacturer but I do like what people have to say about the RXT. Magnum T56 with new clutch setup will be going in, in a few months.
OK. I will be calling Mcleod in the AM and discussing this further with them. I would hate to have to do the work twice.

I will post up my findings.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Rxt ftw! Got one in our 2010 gt500 race car and our 2011 whipple'd 5.0l gt. If I knew about the rxt when I did the clutch in my cobra I would have put an rxt in there as well.

Do it right the first time and you wont be saying " I should have" later on.

Jared

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Funny yours sliped. My stock clutch didn't even slip on street hits @ 700/650. :??: Maybe you had it adjusted wrong?

Neither are the ratings for the T56. Even if the HP rating were close, I would consider it. Yes, we all know the ratings are usually "Underated" not "Overated". So 800 HP doesn't even come close to the 450 ft lbs rating of the T56.

Then why would they rate it at 800 HP? :??::shrug:

It may feel the same but who needs 1000 HP rating when the transmission is only rated for less than half that? :??::shrug:

I would rather have the clutch as the "Weak Link" than the transmission. It is MUCH easier and cheaper to replace.

I have almost 19,000 miles on my car. And my car runs just fine with 700 RWHP and has for several thousand miles. What does driving my car enough have anything to do with again? Oh yeah, Nothing!

I'm sure it will work just fine in my garage or on the street. Exactly for what I use it for.

Well, it is VERY OBVOIUS your lack of knowledge runs deep. So for that I am truly sorry.

Here is the TQ Rating right from Tremec.

Edit: If it does not perform as advertised I will take it up with Lethal Performance and Mcleod. I'm sure with their great reputation it will be taken care of.

LOL, I am well aware of the tremec TQ rating I am glad for you that you have the ability to copy and paste off of the internet. I know that the T56 is very underrated just like the RST is OVERRATED. But you can go ahead and read the "rating" right off the website that is generic over TONS of applications not just the 03/04 cobra :thumbsup: My lack of knowledge runs deep? LOL How about my experience with what both clutches can do because I have actually used them in my car. Sorry if you took it the wrong way. I have nothing against dyno and garage queens. Your car makes 700 on a stock clutch? How many hard miles has it had besides dyno pulls. 19,000 Miles tells me that you have not ran your car at 700 as hard as mine at 600 so if you upgrade to more than 700 you are going to regret your purchase. I was trying to help someone not make the same mistake I did. So sorry but YOUR lack of knowledge is deep when it comes to McLeod clutches because you have never ran one. My RST only lasted 4 trips to the track on Nitto DR's and a handful of cruises. My RXT has gone over 7,500 Miles and 8 trips to the track on Bias ply ET Streets and it still grabs like the day I put it in. Both had 500 miles of break in.

Here is my last pass at the track with the RST and i wasn't slipping the clutch :poke:
[ame=http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb180/terminatortyler04/?action=view&current=Castrolpass.flv]Castrolpass.flv video by terminatortyler04 - Photobucket[/ame]

Do whatever you like if don't do your homework it's your own fault. Just thought I could save a fellow member some future headaches down the road....

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Rxt ftw! Got one in our 2010 gt500 race car and our 2011 whipple'd 5.0l gt. If I knew about the rxt when I did the clutch in my cobra I would have put an rxt in there as well.

Do it right the first time and you wont be saying " I should have" later on.

Jared

+1000 what is $200 more bucks when you are that far into a car.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
LOL, I am well aware of the tremec TQ rating I am glad for you that you have the ability to copy and paste off of the internet. I know that the T56 is very underrated just like the RST is OVERRATED. But you can go ahead and read the "rating" right off the website that is generic over TONS of applications not just the 03/04 cobra :thumbsup: My lack of knowledge runs deep? LOL How about my experience with what both clutches can do because I have actually used them in my car. Sorry if you took it the wrong way. I have nothing against dyno and garage queens. Your car makes 700 on a stock clutch? How many hard miles has it had besides dyno pulls. 19,000 Miles tells me that you have not ran your car at 700 as hard as mine at 600 so if you upgrade to more than 700 you are going to regret your purchase. I was trying to help someone not make the same mistake I did. So sorry but YOUR lack of knowledge is deep when it comes to McLeod clutches because you have never ran one. My RST only lasted 4 trips to the track on Nitto DR's and a handful of cruises. My RXT has gone over 7,500 Miles and 8 trips to the track on Bias ply ET Streets and it still grabs like the day I put it in. Both had 500 miles of break in.

Here is my last pass at the track with the RST and i wasn't slipping the clutch :poke:
Castrolpass.flv video by terminatortyler04 - Photobucket

Do whatever you like if don't do your homework it's your own fault. Just thought I could save a fellow member some future headaches down the road....
I don't mind a little back and forth as long as good comes from it.

It's when you started to become a douche bag that it became personal.

No, I don't beat the living shit out of my car at the track. It is a nice high HP street cruiser. I just refuse to loose drivability and don't really like the idea of the harsh discs that cause chatter.

I'm really glad you run 11's. Wow! I was running mid 10's back in the late 90's. But I'm sure even on my street tires a mid 10 in my car would not be a problem.

Thanks for your input Jared. Looks like I may be calling you this morning.

Thanks.

Last edited:

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I don't mind a little back and forth as long as good comes from it.

It's when you started to become a douche bag that it became personal.

No, I don't beat the living shit out of my car at the track. It is a nice high HP street cruiser. I just refuse to loose drivability and don't really like the idea of the harsh discs that cause chatter.

I'm really glad you run 11's. Wow! I was running mid 10's back in the late 90's. But I'm sure even on my street tires a mid 10 in my car would not be a problem.

Thanks for your input Jared. Looks like I may be calling you this morning.

Thanks.

So who is more of a douchebag? The guy who is trying to help another member or the guy that thinks he has knowledge of a product that he has NEVER used? Your the one who can't admit your wrong in this situation even after a few other people with REAL world experience and equal or LESS HP than you have chimed in, including a employee at the place you plan to purchase the product. But instead of you saying "Oh really? the RST is not a good choice? Hows is the RXT for street use? is their lots of chatter with the ceramic discs?" Instead you post this like you know it all....

I just refuse to loose drivability and don't really like the idea of the harsh discs that cause chatter.

How do you know how they feel? you have never owned one before?

Now let me correct you on your misinformation that is quoted above. The RXT in our cars feel VERY similar to the RST for pedal feel. They both use the same pressure plate. The only difference is the discs. I bet you that you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. The clutch will chatter a bit in break in and then it will completely go away. The only difference i can tell is the RXT seems to feel like it has a bit more grab on engagement which is a good thing. The RST feels weak on engagement like a wet noodle, At first I thought it was just my clutch but then I drove my buddies car that also has the RST and it was the same. It is not about how hard or easy you drive your car it is about putting the RIGHT parts in the first time. So if that is your only concern you will LOVE the RXT.

As for my time in the video, that was not to show you a 11.50 pass. If you watch it a bit closer you will notice the smoke coming out from under the car at launch and those aren't very sticky tires on there either. I have gone 10.98 with the same setup that was in that video with the RXT as the only change and that was with 40 RWHP LESS than what I am running right now and that was @ 2600 DA. I have yet to run at the track with the new power. Good for you that you have gone mid ten's and I would hope you could do it with 700+ even on street tires. In the late 90's I was broke rocking my stock 5.0. I have just been able to afford this car in the last 5 years. ET does not equal how much knowledge you have, there are lots of guys that are faster than me that know a lot less. It is pretty easy to throw your wallet at a car. Not saying you did, you seem to know a lot about these cars especially since you PRP tuned your own car. I can't say the same for myself.

I was not out to have an argument and you came off as kind of a know it all when you said you were still going with the RST. Obviously from that comment you were not familiar with that particular product in a 03/04 cobra. I am sure you know a lot about these cars and I am by no means a know it all either, But all I can do is share my personal experiences and hope it helps the next guy. Looks to me like your scared that your ego might take a hit if you take some advice for someone you might consider a lesser member than yourself. Even if it does help you in the long run.

Like I said do what you want and no hard feelings. I am not here to make enemy's just here to help with what I know.

Last edited:

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Also to the OP or anyone that is considering the RST, it is still a great clutch. It just does not live up the the 800 HP rating it claims. It is a great clutch for anyone that plans on running in and around 500 RWHP and if you plan on going bigger you might want to consider purchasing the upgraded Ceramic discs down the road.

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
So who is more of a douchebag? The guy who is trying to help another member or the guy that thinks he has knowledge of a product that he has NEVER used? Your the one who can't admit your wrong in this situation even after a few other people with REAL world experience and equal or LESS HP than you have chimed in, including a employee at the place you plan to purchase the product. But instead of you saying "Oh really? the RST is not a good choice? Hows is the RXT for street use? is their lots of chatter with the ceramic discs?" Instead you post this like you know it all....

How do you know how they feel? you have never owned one before?

Now let me correct you on your misinformation that is quoted above. The RXT in our cars feel VERY similar to the RST for pedal feel. They both use the same pressure plate. The only difference is the discs. I bet you that you wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. The clutch will chatter a bit in break in and then it will completely go away. The only difference i can tell is the RXT seems to feel like it has a bit more grab on engagement which is a good thing. The RST feels weak on engagement like a wet noodle, At first I thought it was just my clutch but then I drove my buddies car that also has the RST and it was the same. It is not about how hard or easy you drive your car it is about putting the RIGHT parts in the first time. So if that is your only concern you will LOVE the RXT.

As for my time in the video, that was not to show you a 11.50 pass. If you watch it a bit closer you will notice the smoke coming out from under the car at launch and those aren't very sticky tires on there either. I have gone 10.98 with the same setup that was in that video with the RXT as the only change and that was with 40 RWHP LESS than what I am running right now and that was @ 2600 DA. I have yet to run at the track with the new power. Good for you that you have gone mid ten's and I would hope you could do it with 700+ even on street tires. In the late 90's I was broke rocking my stock 5.0. I have just been able to afford this car in the last 5 years. ET does not equal how much knowledge you have, there are lots of guys that are faster than me that know a lot less. It is pretty easy to throw your wallet at a car. Not saying you did, you seem to know a lot about these cars especially since you PRP tuned your own car. I can't say the same for myself.

I was not out to have an argument and you came off as kind of a know it all when you said you were still going with the RST. Obviously from that comment you were not familiar with that particular product in a 03/04 cobra. I am sure you know a lot about these cars and I am by no means a know it all either, But all I can do is share my personal experiences and hope it helps the next guy. Looks to me like your scared that your ego might take a hit if you take some advice for someone you might consider a lesser member than yourself. Even if it does help you in the long run.

Like I said do what you want and no hard feelings. I am not here to make enemy's just here to help with what I know.
You were the one who came off saying my car would do great sitting in a garage. This is where you could have changed attitude but instead decided to be a dick! Instead of coming up with something constructive, you decided to be a douche. Yes, this is why I said what I said. Not because of your information.

If you didn't mean to come across like that, I am sorry for misjudging you. But this is how I interpreted it. Like I said, I do like a good debate on topics.

It has nothing to do with ego or anything of the sort. It has to do with weeding through the facts online sometimes. That's the way it is. I have been in this game for far too long to believe the first thing I read. Ask 10 people online what they feel is "Streetable" and you will get 10 different answers.

I did do some more research this morning and decided to go with the RXT instead. I'm sorry I didn't take you word as gospel becuase it takes more than one person to convince me.

Take it as you will. No hard feelings on my end.

Sorry OP for the thread derail.

younggun04

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
You were the one who came off saying my car would do great sitting in a garage. This is where you could have changed attitude but instead decided to be a dick! Instead of coming up with something constructive, you decided to be a douche. Yes, this is why I said what I said. Not because of your information.

If you didn't mean to come across like that, I am sorry for misjudging you. But this is how I interpreted it. Like I said, I do like a good debate on topics.

It has nothing to do with ego or anything of the sort. It has to do with weeding through the facts online sometimes. That's the way it is. I have been in this game for far too long to believe the first thing I read. Ask 10 people online what they feel is "Streetable" and you will get 10 different answers.

I did do some more research this morning and decided to go with the RXT instead. I'm sorry I didn't take you word as gospel becuase it takes more than one person to convince me.

Take it as you will. No hard feelings on my end.

Sorry OP for the thread derail.

Sorry If you took that comment the wrong way, I was not trying to be a douche. I was just trying to prove a point that this clutch in a 700 RWHP car would only work well if the car sat in a garage. It was not a personal attack on you but now that I re-read it I can see how you took it and I apologize. Sorry I might have been a bit of a dick since you completely disregarded my opinion without even looking into my suggestion. I knew you were going to regret your decision and that's why a pushed the issue further. When ever I get suggestions that's when I start to do my homework and try to confirm what was suggested. In this case you came off pretty dead set on the RST. Which i found to be a bit odd since price difference was only 200 bucks. But now I see that your main concern was street drive-ability which is valid. But you could have at least ask around about it before disregarding the unit base on assumption that it was poor in a street application that's all.

I know what you mean by weeding out the Fact from Fiction. For me I really don't like to relay information that I have read. I like to post based on my own experiences with Issues and Parts.

If you can find some of my older posts on the subject I was skeptical about the RXT after what happened to my RST. But now that I have put it through it's paces I am confident enough to share my findings.

I am glad you went with the RXT you will not be disappointed. No hard feelings here and good luck with your purchase. :beer:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
RXT looks like a good choice.

Although I still am interested in the Exedy offerings.

SVT5.4L

Established Member
Ha you guys are to much... I will post up if i ever run into problems with my RST. I got into it pretty hard last night for the first time since break in. Powershifting has never been so easy and the clutch didn't even blink. The only thing smoking were my BFGs! Of course my car is about 475 RWHP. So for now I recommend RST all the way but I am biased :p

CscottsSS

got boost?
Established Member
Ha you guys are to much... I will post up if i ever run into problems with my RST. I got into it pretty hard last night for the first time since break in. Powershifting has never been so easy and the clutch didn't even blink. The only thing smoking were my BFGs! Of course my car is about 475 RWHP. So for now I recommend RST all the way but I am biased :p

Good to hear. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread