McLeod RXT twin disc users school me....

yfz162

88mph....serious shit!!!!
Established Member
I just test drove a terminator with this clutch and holy shit was it grabby!!! I mean, it felt like a puck style clutch, it shook the piss out of the car when taking off. Didn’t matter how it was engaged, higher rpm slip or barely any extra gas off idle on a quick engage. Is this normal for this style clutch???

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Surprising. Mine has less effort and very smooth. Easy to use at the track too.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Has it been fully broken in? Mine chattered in the beginning. Once it was broken in everything smoothed out.

MG0h3

Established Member
No, that isn’t normal. Mine is as smooth as my Ford Focus. I can ride it all the way up my driveway after rolling backwards

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

yfz162

Established Member
Could it be in the adjustment? The pedal has to come way up befkre it starts to engage. The car hp is mid 600’s.....

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I do not know how many miles are on it. Guy said he has only put about 700 miles on car since he bought it.
According to the PO of my car the clutch had about 900 miles IIRC. After a couple hundred miles it got a lot better. And I know it wasn't just me getting better as other people drove the car with no problems. Including my kids who were learning.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Could it be in the adjustment? The pedal has to come way up befkre it starts to engage. The car hp is mid 600’s.....
Horsepower doesn't matter. My car was an eaton car when I bought. Now I have the Whipple.

Did they put in an adjustable pivot ball? If not that could be part of the issue. The PO didn't install one when he installed the clutch and it had a similar high engagement. I put in an adjustable pivot ball and it felt easier to push the pedal as well as seemed to lower the engagement. Granted I have the Steeda pedal stop now so my pedal isn't in the stock location.

yfz162

Established Member
Horsepower doesn't matter. My car was an eaton car when I bought. Now I have the Whipple.

Did they put in an adjustable pivot ball? If not that could be part of the issue. The PO didn't install one when he installed the clutch and it had a similar high engagement. I put in an adjustable pivot ball and it felt easier to push the pedal as well as seemed to lower the engagement. Granted I have the Steeda pedal stop now so my pedal isn't in the stock location.

I do not know, will ask. Who makes this pivot ball? Gonna google it.
Thanks!

yfz162

Established Member
I bought mine from Summit Racing. I don't remember the brand though.
Never worked on the T56 but I assume this cannot be changed without dropping the trans lol. From what I gather the clutch and flywheel have about 1200 miles on them. Would assume the clutch should operate smoother than it does. Hate to buy a car and have to pull the damn trans and address clutch issues........here we go lol.

MG0h3

Established Member
I ran my RXT well over 10k miles with the stock pivot ball. Eventually, as the PP fingers move back with wear, the TOB/fork got sandwiched against the the front of the case and was putting constant pressure on the pp fingers. Started to slip. I’m prob around 675-700rwhp on drag radials

Switched to 1200 and installed the shorter pivot ball.

I actually liked the engagement of the stock pivot ball.

And if you are in your garage, slowly let the pedal out in gear with no throttle. I think you’ll be surprised to hear the discs start engaging right off the floor.

That’s the beauty of a twin disc. Can handle lots of juice while having a light pedal and not an on/off type operation.

yfz162

Established Member
I ran my RXT well over 10k miles with the stock pivot ball. Eventually, as the PP fingers move back with wear, the TOB/fork got sandwiched against the the front of the case and was putting constant pressure on the pp fingers. Started to slip. I’m prob around 675-700rwhp on drag radials

Switched to 1200 and installed the shorter pivot ball.

I actually liked the engagement of the stock pivot ball.

And if you are in your garage, slowly let the pedal out in gear with no throttle. I think you’ll be surprised to hear the discs start engaging right off the floor.

That’s the beauty of a twin disc. Can handle lots of juice while having a light pedal and not an on/off type operation.

Slip is not the problem here. The pedal feel is light and smooth. It's more the engagement of the clutch is the issue. It it not smooth at all, rather grabby and violent no matter how the clutch is engaged. To me, it should operate much smoother. I see a lot of guys running this clutch and no way does everyone's clutch operate like this on the street lol. I literally feels like the old 6 puck style clutch I tried running in my old 96 cobra. I used it for 2 weeks and threw it in the trash for a dual friction. I am passing on the car at this point anyway. I am looking at another cobra with the McLeod RXT so hoping it isn't the same lol.

MG0h3

Established Member
Oh ok I gotcha. Ya not sure what’s up with his setup but they are typically very smooth.

They are a little noisy.

You can get chatter if you really botch letting it out when new but after break in it’s smooth as silk.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
the rxt does use a pretty aggressive disc. while not a true puck, it is a pucked design. that's why they recommend it over the rst if you are drag racing (the rst uses a full-faced organic disc material that can glaze). it took me a pretty long time to get used to driving it.

that being said, once you get used to it, it should be pretty streetable. so, it is possible that there is a mechanical issue if it's really that bad.

to me the real benefit of the rst/rxt (besides the holding power) is the much lighter pedal for everyday driving

yfz162

Established Member
Oh ok I gotcha. Ya not sure what’s up with his setup but they are typically very smooth.

They are a little noisy.

You can get chatter if you really botch letting it out when new but after break in it’s smooth as silk.

Yep, could hear the chatter and I have heard they are noisy. I just can't get passed how jerky it is. I mean, if not addressed the vibration would be tearing things up eventually lol. It's THAT bad.

MG0h3

Established Member
Yep, could hear the chatter and I have heard they are noisy. I just can't get passed how jerky it is. I mean, if not addressed the vibration would be tearing things up eventually lol. It's THAT bad.

Ya that’s not right at all. Although I’m not quite sure what could be going on if it engages at the top as you should be getting some engagement throughout the fork range of motion.

“BLM is doing God’s work”
2KblackGT

svtperformance.com mobile app

yfz162

Established Member
the rxt does use a pretty aggressive disc. while not a true puck, it is a pucked design. that's why they recommend it over the rst if you are drag racing (the rst uses a full-faced organic disc material that can glaze). it took me a pretty long time to get used to driving it.

that being said, once you get used to it, it should be pretty streetable. so, it is possible that there is a mechanical issue if it's really that bad.

to me the real benefit of the rst/rxt (besides the holding power) is the much lighter pedal for everyday driving

Yep, I have never driven a car with the rxt but have ridden in some and they didn't behave anything like this..... I would guess the throwout bearing is contacting the clutch fingers one side pretty hard before the other. It feels like a warped flywheel surface the way it jerks. Yes, the flywheel was new with the clutch as well.

Users who are viewing this thread