Mcleod RXT install problems?

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
I'm installing a mcleod RXT with 26 spline input shaft and my problem is the throw out bearing is riding on the clutch fingers keeping it from fully going into gear. I can get the car to barely move but you can smell the clutch Buring. I adjusted the pivot ball as far in as I can and still it riding on the clutch fingers. Do you guys have any ideas that can help me? I'm getting tired taking out the transmission.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
I'm almost sure it is. Here is a pic if it
ee7f647d6d7b5af221bd205a49d083f0_zpse8e45ead.jpg

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
It's as loose as it can be plus when I bolt up the transmission it push in the fingers and that's no cable attached to the fork.

b_dike

Established Member
Did you buy the correct adjustable pivot ball? I don't remember the part #, but Malcolm v8 has an awesome thread about his rxt install. With all the part #'s, pics, and info you could possibly need.

Edit there were 3 different pivot balls listed, but only one would work.

Last edited:

SNK-BITE

Established Member
The pressure plate is not installed/torqued properly. The fingers are protruding out of the pressure plate. They should be pulled in to the point you can run a ruler across the plate opening and not touch any fingers. Stop running the car, pull the tranny and correct it or that clutch is going to be trash.

Last edited:

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
Did you buy the correct adjustable pivot ball? I don't remember the part #, but Malcolm v8 has an awesome thread about his rxt install. With all the part #'s, pics, and info you could possibly need.

Edit there were 3 different pivot balls listed, but only one would work.

I don't remember which one I got but I don't see how any would work. I could take off the nut on the pivot ball but then it would have no way to lock it's self on there.

The pressure plate is not installed/torqued properly. The fingers are protruding out of the pressure plate. They should be pulled in to the point you can run a ruler across the plate opening and not touch any fingers. Stop running the car, pull the tranny and correct it or that clutch is going to be trash.

Are you sure? I not trying to be a dick but I torqued the pressure plate bolts to 25ft/lbs like I saw on here.

TRBO VNM

Ding ding ding, we have a winner. :D

OP, did you look at the instructions that came with the clutch kit? They tell you and have a picture showing a straight edge on the PP and that the fingers should be below the surface when torq'ed properly. And the lakewood 15503 is the correct pivot ball to use. No cutting required and screw it in so it is about 6mm shorter than factory. The instructions also have torq specs as well.

And if they are torq'ed to spec, then something is not installed correctly.

2003DSGMACH1

Established Member
Thanks guys I guess I will try and pull the transmission tomorrow. I bought it used and had mcleod freshen it up so I didn't have the instructions.

TRBO VNM

Thanks guys I guess I will try and pull the transmission tomorrow. I bought it used and had mcleod freshen it up so I didn't have the instructions.

They have them on their site you can download. Just make sure you follow it because torq is based on the bolt size and they send different sizes depending on kits. But the info is all there

Users who are viewing this thread