Mcleod RXT - difficult to get into gears, cant get in reverse

JDUB348

Established Member
Alright well i've taken my transmission in and out probably 4 or 5 times in the last few days, and i am pretty much stumped at this point. As of right now this is how everything is set:

Shimmed 26 spline input shaft with .034 thick shim. This gave me about .003 end play. Within the spec

Adjusted my adjustable pivot ball to 4.5 MM shorter then stock. I tried installing the stock pivot ball, and it was way to tall. Instantly puts pre load on the TOB and touches the pressure plate fingers with clutch cable completely disconnected

Installed the twin disc clutch exactly how McLeod says to do so. Torqued the pressure plate bolts to 35 ft/lbs in a star pattern just as the directions say to do

Adjusted my clutch cable so the TOB sits about 1/8th of an inch from the pressure plate fingers

I really dont know what more could cause this to happen? Does being hard to get into gear mean the clutch discs are not fully engaging or disengaging?

Last edited:

JDUB348

Established Member
Wait a minute, is the pivot ball suppose to be just like this picture shown? With the tabs fully under the clutch fork and the ball resting inside? If so.. i think i may have just found a problem lol

m5lp_0309_13_%2Bviper_t56_transmission%2Bfork_pivot_stud.jpg

As of right now, i believe i only have the very edge of the clutch fork sitting on top of the pivot ball. I'm betting this could very well be the source of the problem? My logic tells me with the clutck fork not totally on the pivot ball, it would make the TOB crooked when it touches the pressure plate fingers there for not engaging the clutch completely?

Last edited:

vadorsnake04

Established Member
That picture is how it's supposed to be. I used my stock pivot ball and turned it back about an 1/8" to get it correct.

May93

Established Member
When the vehicle is not running does it shift into reverse with or without using the clutch? If so can you then start and move the vehicle with it in reverse?

JDUB348

Established Member
Tomorrow i'm pulling the trans one more time to correct the clutch fork. I'll report back with my findings. I'm getting faster and faster at removing and installing this transmission.. only done it like 5 times in the last 2 days ;-)

Last edited:

JDUB348

Established Member
Last edited:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Does the V Shape on the throw out bearing towards to pivot ball ? Or the fork end ? V shape is the part that keeps the TOB from turning.

Users who are viewing this thread