McLeod RST/RXT clutch chatter?

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Does anyone have any in car sound/video footage of what "normal" chatter/rattle sound the RST/RXT clutch kit are known to make?? I've seen some people post that they don't experience ANY chatter/rattle at low RPM's and then I see most people say that it's "normal".

Thanks in advance!!

-Nick

F.D.Sako

Established Member
I just got the RST installed in my car, with McLeod's steel flywheel and a Dynotech aluminum driveshaft. The chatter seems to occur between 1500-2000RPM, mostly during slower speeds.

Best I can describe is that the chatter's similar to the driveline noise you get when you bog the engine down when taking off, except it's a little louder.

Do a YouTube search on McLeod chatter, I remember seeing a vid out there.

To me, the noise isn't bad and it's tolerable. It doesn't happen frequent enough to be considered annoying. Once in a while in city driving I go to 5th and get the chatter, get the revs up and pop back to 4th, chatter's gone.

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I just got the RST installed in my car, with McLeod's steel flywheel and a Dynotech aluminum driveshaft. The chatter seems to occur between 1500-2000RPM, mostly during slower speeds.

Best I can describe is that the chatter's similar to the driveline noise you get when you bog the engine down when taking off, except it's a little louder.

Do a YouTube search on McLeod chatter, I remember seeing a vid out there.

To me, the noise isn't bad and it's tolerable. It doesn't happen frequent enough to be considered annoying. Once in a while in city driving I go to 5th and get the chatter, get the revs up and pop back to 4th, chatter's gone.

+1.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
It's pretty normal with twin disk clutches.

Especially below 2000 rpm under heavy load. It really comes down to how you drive if your going to hear noise.

If you like to cruise at 1800rpm on the highway and don't down shift, you'll hear a good amount of chatter.
If you cruise in 6th and down shift to 4th to pass someone you'll never hear it.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
Thanks for all the feedback and opinions.

Looks like I should have done my research a little better prior to buying the whole setup. 90% of my cruising is in the 1500-2000 rpm range with the occasional WOT pulls. I don't think I will be wasting my time with the install to hear it chatter/rattling all the time. Guess I'll be posting a BNIB McLeod RST w/ FW and ARP FW bolts for sale soon, lol.

-Nick

Punisher1401

Established Member
If you drive as you say, not sure why you bought the McLeod in the first place. Sounds like a stock clutch would do the trick just fine. Ive had mine for several months, it only chatters when I lug it in low Rpms. Mostly as stated drive styles. Dont think youd be disappointed in it. Good luck with whatever you decide, Im sure it will be quite easy to sell that setup if you decide.

F.D.Sako

Established Member
It's pretty normal with twin disk clutches.

Especially below 2000 rpm under heavy load. It really comes down to how you drive if your going to hear noise.

If you like to cruise at 1800rpm on the highway and don't down shift, you'll hear a good amount of chatter.
If you cruise in 6th and down shift to 4th to pass someone you'll never hear it.

I actually do not experience any chatter on the highway at 1800RPM in 6th gear.

Thanks for all the feedback and opinions.

Looks like I should have done my research a little better prior to buying the whole setup. 90% of my cruising is in the 1500-2000 rpm range with the occasional WOT pulls. I don't think I will be wasting my time with the install to hear it chatter/rattling all the time. Guess I'll be posting a BNIB McLeod RST w/ FW and ARP FW bolts for sale soon, lol.

-Nick

Did you check out the video on youtube?

At this point, I think it's personal preference. Just to let you know, other RXT/RST characteristics are lighter clutch pedal and higher pedal engagement.

I've been driving mine for the past 3 days, ever since I got the clutch put it, and I've maybe experienced the chatter about 8-10 times. Most of them being on the first day, until I figured out the RPM range the clutch liked being in. What I haven't gotten used to is taking off smoothly with this clutch, specifically when uphill. Slipping this clutch seems to take a little more effort, and my take-offs both in 1st and 2nd gear have not been as smooth as I'd like them to be. The higher clutch pedal engagement isn't helping at this time as well. But like everything else, I'll adjust to it eventually.

Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the clutch's performance.

Other things to consider... did you get one of McLeod's flywheels as well? Because the clutch doesn't line up too well with the stock flywheel. The inner part of the friction material hangs over the flywheel, and could cause binding issues down the line. If you haven't purchased the flywheel, and don't to spend extra $$$, i'd suggest returning, or selling, the McLeod and settling for a more forgiving single disc kit.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I have a question... Is it normal to chatter at idle? I have the Rxt I don't really get any clutch chatter at those rpms. But at idle, it sounds like it but if I put the clutch in it's gone. Unless it's the input shaft banging around? I have no idea...

Ill_W1N

Established Member
I have a question... Is it normal to chatter at idle? I have the Rxt I don't really get any clutch chatter at those rpms. But at idle, it sounds like it but if I put the clutch in it's gone. Unless it's the input shaft banging around? I have no idea...

I get it at idle too. Think its just harmonics all the way around.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
If you drive as you say, not sure why you bought the McLeod in the first place. Sounds like a stock clutch would do the trick just fine. Ive had mine for several months, it only chatters when I lug it in low Rpms. Mostly as stated drive styles. Dont think youd be disappointed in it. Good luck with whatever you decide, Im sure it will be quite easy to sell that setup if you decide.

Decided on the RST due to the fact that I plan on adding FI in the upcoming months and it is well known that most twin disks accompany better shifting characteristics at higher RPM's. All in all, I believe the stock pressure plate is crap.

04SNK390HP

I hate SHEEPLE
Established Member
I actually do not experience any chatter on the highway at 1800RPM in 6th gear.

Did you check out the video on youtube?

At this point, I think it's personal preference. Just to let you know, other RXT/RST characteristics are lighter clutch pedal and higher pedal engagement.

I've been driving mine for the past 3 days, ever since I got the clutch put it, and I've maybe experienced the chatter about 8-10 times. Most of them being on the first day, until I figured out the RPM range the clutch liked being in. What I haven't gotten used to is taking off smoothly with this clutch, specifically when uphill. Slipping this clutch seems to take a little more effort, and my take-offs both in 1st and 2nd gear have not been as smooth as I'd like them to be. The higher clutch pedal engagement isn't helping at this time as well. But like everything else, I'll adjust to it eventually.

Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed with the clutch's performance.

Other things to consider... did you get one of McLeod's flywheels as well? Because the clutch doesn't line up too well with the stock flywheel. The inner part of the friction material hangs over the flywheel, and could cause binding issues down the line. If you haven't purchased the flywheel, and don't to spend extra $$$, i'd suggest returning, or selling, the McLeod and settling for a more forgiving single disc kit.

Thanks for the through feedback. I already have steel McLeod FW. If I decide to sell, it will be a complete ready to bolt on kit

I get it at idle too. Think its just harmonics all the way around.

I wonder if Mcleod sells sprung hubbed disks that would work with the RST/RXT clutch kits. Im sure that would quiet the chatter/rattle.

-Nick

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
Don't you have to change input shafts to run the Centerforce?

Also, why is there a warning posted on the RST and RXT that says not recommended for drag racing? That's a deal breaker if there's any validity to it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread