McLeod rst problems!!!

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
Hey guys just had my McLeod rst installed and I getting really loud noises coming from down there at low rpms? I've heard of twin disc clutches being noisy but this is a little more noise than I can bare. I called McLeod and they told me I had to take everything apart AGAIN and take the clutch and flywheel to get balance at a machine shop! Now I paid $700 f or this clutch and no where on the instructs does it say to do that! I'm really upset that they tell me this after I had it installed!!!thats a lot of money!! Any body else heard of this

gimpy2011

Established Member
What kind of noises are you getting at low rpms? I have a RXT with the matching Mcleod steel flywheel and will get a little chatter if I lug the car in too high a gear or dont apply enough throttle when starting to move.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I'm getting like a shutter on take off, and I'm getting the noise from first through 6th if its in low rpms. Sounds more like a rattle than chatter. I have a slight chatter at idle that I think sounds normal but the noise I'm getting definitely doesn't sound normal!!

Marc

Established Member
What kind of noises are you getting at low rpms? I have a RXT with the matching Mcleod steel flywheel and will get a little chatter if I lug the car in too high a gear or dont apply enough throttle when starting to move.

Exactly. Same thing on mine. At a stop, if i had it in neutral, it would make the sound. If I put it in gear, nothing. I thought mine was the TOB vs. the clutch

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
I didn't think it would be that noisy its really annoying bothers me a bit. And is the shuttering at take off normal too? I was thinking about maybe a tob too but Idk. Reason I got the clutch car has 9500 miles and never had any clutch issues, one day at the track clutch stuck to the floor for a little bit popped back up then felt extra soft and ever since that day I get a shutter at take off. I thought this clutch would cure that but it didn't, still shutters I wonder if I messed something up in there?

Marc

Established Member
Now granted mine was on a 04 cobra, and I had the lightened steel flywheel, but mine would shudder too after take off if I didn't give it enough throttle.

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
I've been seeing a lot more posts about RST chattering, especially when new.

The noise you're probably hearing at idle is the floater plate, and it goes away when you step on the clutch. The lugging noise is the one that bothers me most, but I've really gotten used to it all. Easy thing to get around versus dealing with shredding the factory clutches.

ryan.garcia2733

Established Member
If its normal I'll deal with it I mean I kind of have to now after $700!!! But I'm definitely gonna invest in a new flywheel since I'm using the stocker, and new tob and pilot bearing. I also heard somewhere It can even be the input shaft bearing?

Wharf Rat

Established Member
Is the RXT the same or any better??? I'm likely going to have to do a clutch soon and was thinking RXT.

Maybe I don't want a twin disc after all???

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
The twin disc will make a little noise when you lug them. This is because the McLeod's use a solid hub which helps them be more durable.

Also, these clutch and flywheel combo's should already come pre-matched, that's why they come pre-assembled with a black marking across the pressure plate and flywheel. You are supposed to line those marks back up upon reassembly.

Users who are viewing this thread