Mcleod...maybe not the KB clutch!

bbeers

I know there are a few of us KB cars using the Mcleod twin disk set up. I believe I am now the first one to have it fail. The clutch is about 2 months old and has 380 miles on it and it is gonzo.

I know there has been alot of debate and testing on various clutches that could handle over 600 rwhp. I was really hoping the Mcleod was the answer but it appears I am back to the drawing board. Anyone have any ideas on a clutch they think can handle this type of hp please chime in. Thanks.

Britt

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
Britt, i know two ppl that have installed a McLeod and they said it's just as streetable as the stock clutch driving around town..plenty of slip. At the track..it want's to grab ALOT. U having only 380 miles, u obviously didn't race it, what exactly happened to it? I'm not familiar with clutch companies but i assume they're going to reinburse u? I'm looking to go easy with a Spec II..yea it'll have to be replaced sooner than most other clutches, but if my stock lasted this long i'll be happy with a Spec. Also, have u looked into a Centerforce clutch? I know one other 03 that has had it on for over a year, constantly racing with it..it's only now begun to wear down.

AMB

Established Member
BPU

How did your clutch go ?? Were you drag racing at the time ?? Do/Did you slip the clutch at launch ?? Did it slip at high RPMs ??

AMB

Last edited:

Xplicit

Su Corazón
Established Member
One another note: Hammer of ModularFords has tried several clutches out. I'm not sure of all of them, but i know he tried the Quarter Master, which i was follwing very closely..that unfortunately failed. He's currently trying the McLeod. What we're all looking for is a street clutch that will double or at least perform similar to a race clutch. The stock clutch still hasn't failed on my car and i'm well over 600rwhp. On the other hand, i also haven't raced the car for most of the later year. If a stock clutch will last this long just from driving it easy..then u must have gotten a defective clutch from McLeod after only 380 miles of break in time. U were breaking it in, correct? Try it again if they will replace it.

Last edited:

RedfireVenom

11 Second Vert Club
Established Member
I thought I read somewhere that the Mcleod clutch is a little more tricky to install. You have to shim it somehow or something. Maybe it wasn't installed right. I am stuck in your situation right now, where I need a clutch right away. I am leaning towards the centerforce right now.

Users who are viewing this thread