Mcgard lugnut help

bumplime

Established Member
Had a racestar lugnut sheer today and now I'm going to upgrade to the Mcgards. Does anyone know what model # I need to use with the racestar wheels?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I would love to know this as well. The standard lugs and washers that are provided with Racestar wheels are junk. They easily chip and rust.

Brenspeed sells model #63000 that fit the Mustang, and that part # includes the offset washers. These are the open ended style with nylon caps. We don't require these for street use, so I am looking deeper into this.

Required thread size is 1/2-20

Hex size is 13/16"

After some research, we can use this

part #63014 lugs

LugShankXLong.jpg

with #78714 washers.

WashSSOffset.jpg

Here is the standard Racestar lug nut set. Looks identical in form and function, except McGard is far better quality.

0f11b3605eb339d398cfec936828.jpg

I love the single review at American Muscle for the Racestar set above.

Very soft lug and washer expect galling after only a few uses, their Chinese origin really shows.

Last edited:

Blackmax

Established Member
My buddy just threw his Racestars in the garbage and thats the 2nd person I know. Before using any new lugnut chase the threads with a 1/2" x 20 tap.

BOD89LX

Established Member
Yea the lugs and washer are junk, I will have to get a set of the Mcgards as well . Mine after 1 use are all galled up also.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Bumped this thread because I just ordered my replacement set from McGard. The Racestar lugs are crap.

I'm even going to have the Racestar wheels powder coated so I never have to polish them again.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I don't know what it is about my life, but if I didn't have bad luck....I honestly think I wouldn't have any.

Received my lug nuts and washers today, but guess what.....

Hint: This package is sealed and requires a cutting device to open it.

7ead2774.jpg

EDIT: Never mind, upon further inspection I discovered that there are 5 slots (one extra slot hidden behind the center purple divider). The "missing" lug nut is in there after all.

My bad luck streak was a false alarm.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
UPDATE:

Installed my racestar rear wheels on Saturday with the new McGard lug nuts and offset washers. The quality difference is amazing, and you truly get what you pay for. The washers also fit the "indents" of the wheel better than the cheap racestar washers.

I'm overly joyed that all the issues I had with the cheap Racestar hardware is over with. They got thrown in the trash.

Robertt305

Devil Dog
Established Member
Def need to upgrade to these...

Did you use any anti seize on the studs for the new lugs?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
UPDATE:

Installed my racestar rear wheels on Saturday with the new McGard lug nuts and offset washers. The quality difference is amazing, and you truly get what you pay for. The washers also fit the "indents" of the wheel better than the cheap racestar washers.

I'm overly joyed that all the issues I had with the cheap Racestar hardware is over with. They got thrown in the trash.

Does it make it easier to install. The rears aren't too bad, but the fronts are a PITA, atleast for me.

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
Has anyone had a problem with the small screws that hold on the little center plastic hub cover. Mine are starting to show surface rust and they have only gotten wet one time when I washed it and have been in the garage ever since. Has anyone replaced these with something not made in china that doesn't rust?

03venum

Never enough HP
Established Member
I finally for got racestar to respond to my email today they said they did have a vendor that supplied them with what was supposed to be SS screws but were not I guess that is what I got before they changed vendors but they did say they would sent me a whole set of new ones free so that soundslike they are taken care of the problem with those.

Users who are viewing this thread