Mccleod RXT twin disk and flywheel install questions..

elcobrita

Established Member
Whats up guys, while I wait for the 26spline input shaft to be available I decided to go ahead and install the flywheel and clutch...

The spacer that was on my stock flywheel, do I still need to put it on with my Mccleod steel flywheel?

And what did you guys do with the pivot ball? Some left the stock one, some got the mccleod one..

Ukfox89

Established Member
BTW Texas Drivelie performance can machine you a 26 spline for the cobra t56 from a t56 out of an F body. they do it all the time. $300 and $100 for their billet retainer sleeve. Jason is machining me one. said being a tremec piece it shouldn't even need shiming. just an FYI

I would imagine a washer or two behind the pivot ball would suffice. when I put an old spec 3+ in I had to pull it back out to redo the pivot ball spacing. the manufacture says it varies from car to car but I cant imagine how that is true. the diaphragm depth and distance from pivot bacl to flywheel is exactly the same. when I install mine ill run stock pivot ball with 2 washers behind it. still has plenty of thread engagement, and im buying the machined shaft from Jason

elcobrita

Established Member
BTW Texas Drivelie performance can machine you a 26 spline for the cobra t56 from a t56 out of an F body. they do it all the time. $300 and $100 for their billet retainer sleeve. Jason is machining me one. said being a tremec piece it shouldn't even need shiming. just an FYI

I would imagine a washer or two behind the pivot ball would suffice. when I put an old spec 3+ in I had to pull it back out to redo the pivot ball spacing. the manufacture says it varies from car to car but I cant imagine how that is true. the diaphragm depth and distance from pivot bacl to flywheel is exactly the same. when I install mine ill run stock pivot ball with 2 washers behind it. still has plenty of thread engagement, and im buying the machined shaft from Jason

I already have a lethal performance sleeve, I will give them a call on getting a 26 spline machined.
With the pivot ball, don't i need for it to be in deeper? Wouldn't washers just make the ball stick out more?

Ukfox89

Established Member
from my understanding you want the pivot ball to move the TOB closer to the clutch diaphragm. spacing the pivto ball out will accomplish this.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
most of the threads i've read on here where guys had to modify the pivot ball, they had to make it shorter, not longer (?)

i was able to use the stock pivot ball with both of mine.

i think which flywheel you use may have something to do with with whether the pivot ball needs to be adjusted. there are plenty of threads on here with lots of info and opinions. best of luck with it :beer:

TRBO VNM

Correct, shorten pivot ball for RXT, DO NOT lengthen it. Lakewood 15503 pivot ball is what you want. Go 6mm shorter than factory.

In regards to stock flywheel plate, up to you since you have a steel flywheel. It is there because stock is aluminum. I use it and I use blue loctite on the bolts.

Last edited:

elcobrita

Established Member
most of the threads i've read on here where guys had to modify the pivot ball, they had to make it shorter, not longer (?)

i was able to use the stock pivot ball with both of mine.

i think which flywheel you use may have something to do with with whether the pivot ball needs to be adjusted. there are plenty of threads on here with lots of info and opinions. best of luck with it :beer:

Yea I've read through most of them, it just seems to be 50/50 on needing the adjustable pivot ball

Correct, shorten pivot ball for RXT, DO NOT lengthen it. Lakewood 15503 pivot ball is what you want. Go 6mm shorter than factory.

In regards to stock flywheel plate, up to you since you have a steel flywheel. It is there because stock is aluminum. I use it and I use blue loctite on the bolts.

Cool, thanks. I will order that pivot ball then. Any word on the input shafts?

TRBO VNM

No. Saw another thread where you can send in a 10 spline and they will make you a 26 spline. I should do that since I have like 6 stock input shafts on my bench

Ukfox89

Established Member
I just installed my 26 spline out of an F body that was turned down on the end. went in perfectly.

I have a stock pivot ball, your saying the pivot ball needs to be shortned? so you mean the clutch fork needs to pivot closer to the transmission?

TRBO VNM

Yes. Some people say they have used the stock pivot ball, but others said they didn't. I rather do it once, so I use the adjustable that I mentioned before and have never had an issue and have never had to pull the trans back out to re-adjust.

jk_aktion

Established Member

this ^

vrt03cobra

Drive it Like U STOLE IT
Established Member

Do you know what these input shafts are rated at? Really need one

b_dike

Established Member
Pivot ball needs to be shorter. Some have said 4mm or 6mm... Don't know for sure how much shorter, but I had Malcolmv8 help me set up mine cause he just went through the whole ordeal, and I used the Lakewood ball mentioned above, screwed all the way down as far as it could go. Everything thing went together and works perfectly on the first shot.

03CobraJack

Established Member
This is the only thread I have found mentions the stock flywheel spacer plate (big ring that goes between flywheel and pressure plate) I'm in the process of installing the McLeod RXT and I'm not sure if I need it in there or not.

I have the mcleod adapter ring currently bolted up to the flywheel and I can spin the bottom disk freely...almost. There is a slight rubbing with either the flywheel and/or adapter ring as I turn, but it isn't difficult to turn at all.

How freely have you guys been able to spin the first clutch disk?...and was there a slight rubbing when turned?

Thanks.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
When I installed my RXT I tried to use the stock pivot ball and there wasn't enough clearance between the TOB and clutch fingers. I installed the adjustable pivot ball and shortened it by 4mm.

03CobraJack

Established Member
Thanks for the info, I haven't got to the part of the installation that involves the pivot ball yet though. This is the first clutch disk and the plate bolted on to the flywheel (no pressure plate yet)

Attached a picture of the spacer ring

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434327683.920066.jpg

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member

So pretty sure I ordered that pivot ball from you. So only the factory pivot ball needs to be shortened right,?

TRBO VNM

So pretty sure I ordered that pivot ball from you. So only the factory pivot ball needs to be shortened right,?

Not sure I understand the question. The new pivot ball should be installed shorter than the stock pivot ball length.

TRBO VNM

Thanks for the info, I haven't got to the part of the installation that involves the pivot ball yet though. This is the first clutch disk and the plate bolted on to the flywheel (no pressure plate yet)

Attached a picture of the spacer ring

View attachment 44155

That is not a stock spacer plate. What they probably meant was a small ring that goes on the flywheel when you bolt it to the crank. It goes between the crank bolts and flywheel.

That ring you show in your pic is similar or the one used with the promotion clutches that goes between the pressure plate and flywheel. You do not use that with the RXT, it was specific to the promotion setup

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure I understand the question. The new pivot ball should be installed shorter than the stock pivot ball length.

I'm a noob with this stuff, so measure 6mm shorter than stock?

Users who are viewing this thread