Maybe stupid question. Why are Ram trucks so cheap?

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
I purchased my 2005 Dodge Ram Daytona 4x4 (5.7 Hemi) new and I am still driving it today.
After 12 years of daily driving I still have not had any problems with it. The only way I will get rid of it is for a Hellcat powered Ram.
jA3c.jpg

Voltwings

Established Member
ram trucks arent cheap, the fact is f150s are overpriced by about $10k for similar features. F150 is one of the few vehicles in the world where you can approach msrp of $50k and still not get leather seats. In fact ive seen XLTs for over $50k.

only way the avg joe can buy these trucks is with 72mo financing and a trade in. The median individual income in this country is less than $40k per year. Its incredible that ford is able to sell as many trucks as they do.

i personally prefer the f150 but ram Laramie is nothing to sneeze at. These are nice capable trucks.

Yeah, I needed a 4x4 vehicle for work, and a base model F-150 with 4x4 and the 2.7 EB with no options was like 35K ... i got a fully loaded Z71 v6 Colorado for 33k instead (would have liked a Ranger, may check them out). I would have liked the larger truck, but the F-150 and Silverado are just ridiculously expensive - as nice as they may be.

beau t

Established Member
I just looked at the RAMs on the local dealer website. Holy crap. Configured like I want, new for $8-10K less than most of what's available in the way of Fords.

I may not end up with one, but I guess it would be stupid to not at least go look.
Need to be sure I'm comparing apples to apples.

From what i have found Krensville NC has about the cheapest prices in the southeast i know of on 2500s its pretty common to get 16000 off sticker from them ( priced in 2013) for reference. Had a buddy drive from NJ to NC for a truck for that reason

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
And you probably paid half that.
lol
I wish. Out the door was about 34Kish, after rebates/trade-in and adding taxes/extended warranty/fees and all that crap. lol Mind you finance everything. I put 0 down when buying vehicles as of late.
Truck is paid off for the whole 2018 year though. lol

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I just found not one, but two new 2017 RAM Express, Crew cab, 4x4, Hemi, good color, chrome 20's, just five miles down the road from me. Everything I need and nothing I don't.
Back up camera, check. Little else I want other than what is already listed above.

What's weird is the two MSRP for $43605, same color with identical options, and sequential VINs.

They're asking $33,576 for one, and $31,605 for the other. Must be miles on the second one.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Yeah, I needed a 4x4 vehicle for work, and a base model F-150 with 4x4 and the 2.7 EB with no options was like 35K ... i got a fully loaded Z71 v6 Colorado for 33k instead (would have liked a Ranger, may check them out). I would have liked the larger truck, but the F-150 and Silverado are just ridiculously expensive - as nice as they may be.

Are the Canyons more than the colorados? No Canyon I found could be had fully loaded for less than 35-36

PonyGlued

350R wannabe
Established Member
I owned a 96 and later an 05. Both were 3/4 long bed diesel’s. ..Dodge or Mersadies just makes them slightly less quality than a Ford is my opinion, so their production costs are lower

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I just found not one, but two new 2017 RAM Express, Crew cab, 4x4, Hemi, good color, chrome 20's, just five miles down the road from me. Everything I need and nothing I don't.
Back up camera, check. Little else I want other than what is already listed above.

What's weird is the two MSRP for $43605, same color with identical options, and sequential VINs.

They're asking $33,576 for one, and $31,605 for the other. Must be miles on the second one.
What are you waiting for Ash?? lol
Then you can join the Ram forum I belong to as well, if you do purchase it. Tons of cool people and great info.

sleek98

Established Member

Pay attention to the space in the cab, I have not been in the newest version of a ram, and this might have changed, but my old dodge crew cab was not as big as a crew cab on a ford, it was more like a supercab but with normal opening doors.

Voltwings

Established Member
Are the Canyons more than the colorados? No Canyon I found could be had fully loaded for less than 35-36

Yes, there were some year end rebates as well, MSRP was about $42 (v6, z71, 4x4, etc), which is way too much for even a mid size truck.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Pay attention to the space in the cab, I have not been in the newest version of a ram, and this might have changed, but my old dodge crew cab was not as big as a crew cab on a ford, it was more like a supercab but with normal opening doors.
Could you be thinking of the Quad cab? Which I saw yesterday and it is indeed small.

This is the back seat of a crew cab.

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 7.15.27 PM.png

This is a quad cab. No room in the back seat for any adult I know.

993501151.jpg

Last edited:

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
^^
Correct. Dodge makes 2 different 4 door trucks.
Quad cab has smaller doors and less leg room.
Crew cab has full size doors and more legroom.
At a glance those who don't know this won't notice. Put them side by side and you can easily tell.

97WHITEVENOM

Established Member
^^
Correct. Dodge makes 2 different 4 door trucks.
Quad cab has smaller doors and less leg room.
Crew cab has full size doors and more legroom.
At a glance those who don't know this won't notice. Put them side by side and you can easily tell.
Also the quad cab for the 4th gen trucks(current gen) are smaller than the quad cabs that were offered in the 3rd gen trucks.

Smooth

Well Seasoned
Established Member
So, I've been looking at 2017 Ford XLTs and Lariats in 4x4, Supercrew, 5.0. Price range around $35 to right under $40K. Mileage 3000-17,000.

A friend with a small used car lot just got in a 2015 Ram ST Express, Quad cab 4x4 Hemi with 27k miles, and asking $25K. Same gas mileage and performance as the 5.0 best I can tell.

I bought my last truck there and I trust the guy. Seems like a lot of truck for the money. A little less leg room front and back and I need to go look at it. He refurbs anything that needs attention. It's the right color, too.

I've never been a Dodge guy except for their hot rods, and never owned one. Why are the trucks so cheap?
Hey old man, my .02: rent a Ram for a week before you buy. If you still like it, done deal. Still have questions, rent an F150 for a week. I've driven both...for a week. Was more than enough time to make a decision.

I posted a link to the 2019s.

Might be my next ride after I unass the bmw. Who needs a 500 hp convertible that has girls flashing their boobs at me when I drive by or are clogging my grill with nasty panty tosses at highway speeds.?

I am too old for having to wade through a bunch of bitches' vag slime as they surround my car at the beach! Any idea what that feels like when you wear flip flops and walk thru the sand? Dee skusting

Sent from my hairy pimpled buttocks using the svtperformance.com mobile app
My man!

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Nope, we tried them at work. Now have a fleet of Ford pickups.
I personally would spend the extra $.
What kind of towing/hauling, and what kind of mileage do you ya'll put on them?

I won't be towing, and scarce little hauling. Just driving all over eastern NC down dirt roads to a half dozen ranges I frequent.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread