Maybe stupid question. Why are Ram trucks so cheap?

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Didnt they just show a new and improved pick up with GM as the number 2 truck maker in their sights? I expect to see higher prices if that is the case.

Sent from my hairy pimpled buttocks using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Since your looking at half tons.

Dodge- big power, good ride, lots of gadgets, usually poor quality and lots of random problems, limited towing with coils

Ford- decent power(5.0), less gadgets(@ $ point), good ride, better quality, better towing with suspension set up.

Gmc- big power(6.2), ride its a gm, towing is good also with suspension setup, similar to ford for gadgets. Reliable

It just depends what you want out of truck.
Wanna a daily for light duty. Get a dodge.
Wanna a truck that can haul a bit and still be great daily either the ford or gm would fit the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
The problem with the compareable GM products is the cylinder deactivation and fuel management. They straight up murder lifters by 100k. If you turn it off you'll do yourself a flavor. So I wouldn't consider the new V8 GM products necessarily "Reliable" out of the box.

The 5.0 coyote Fords? Absolutely. Bullet proof right out of the box. Rams too.

Coosawjack

Established Member
The problem with the compareable GM products is the cylinder deactivation and fuel management. They straight up murder lifters by 100k. If you turn it off you'll do yourself a flavor. So I wouldn't consider the new V8 GM products necessarily "Reliable" out of the box.

The 5.0 coyote Fords? Absolutely. Bullet proof right out of the box. Rams too.

GM has MDS as well??o_O

I just turned mine on in me '08 RAM 1500 HEMI and it looks like it picked up 3 MPG around town but sounds like a 4 cylinder Ford tractor when the MDS kicks in.....Chug....Chug....Chug with my Magnaflow exhaust!!:eek:

Why do you say it will "murder lifters"....curious??:cool:

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
GM has MDS as well??o_O

I just turned mine on in me '08 RAM 1500 HEMI and it looks like it picked up 3 MPG around town but sounds like a 4 cylinder Ford tractor when the MDS kicks in.....Chug....Chug....Chug with my Magnaflow exhaust!!:eek:

Why do you say it will "murder lifters"....curious??:cool:

The rumor/findings is the cylinder deactivation is really hard on the lifters. I'm not familiar with exactly how it works, but I have a few GM tech friends that say they make their money off lifter swaps on 100k+ mileage GM trucks.

Truth be told though, lifter/cam issues in the LS's are a real concern no matter what. I've personally had a few junkyard 4.8/5.3's that have spun/burnt up cam bearings.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The rumor/findings is the cylinder deactivation is really hard on the lifters. I'm not familiar with exactly how it works, but I have a few GM tech friends that say they make their money off lifter swaps on 100k+ mileage GM trucks.

Truth be told though, lifter/cam issues in the LS's are a real concern no matter what. I've personally had a few junkyard 4.8/5.3's that have spun/burnt up cam bearings.

Dodge has the same setup(cylinder deactivation) so I assume they could share the same fate?
My dads 6.4 Hemi had a lifter go bad at 70k, but never used the deactivation function. Covered under powertrain warranty.

blownfox

Established Member
I'm in the same position as the OP as I'm looking for a newer truck for a DD. I've been told by several people to say away from cylinder deactivation on both Ram and chevy. I believe on the Ram's if you hit up shift 8 or 9 times it will deactivate cylinder deactivation. My 10 F150 has 90k and has been trouble free. The only problem is it will be 56K for another Platinum f150.

_Snake_

Established Member
Ram makes good trucks. GM and Ford make great trucks.

Ask most Ram owners how they ended up with their truck. As often as not, they’ll say “I planned on getting a Ford/Chevy, but they wouldn’t negotiate on price and Dodge made me a deal I couldn’t say no to.”

Coiled03

Established Member
Why are they cheaper?

They're steaming piles of shit, that's why.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Dodge (and Chrysler products in general) are poor on reliability, electronics, cooling system components, and paint from what Ive seen. Overall just cheaper, even compared to GM which is saying something. The Challengers and Chargers seem to have better reliability, but Id attribute that more to the heritage of their Mercedes E class legacy platform and V8 engines.

I wouldn't own a Chrysler FWD car if it was free to me. Id buy a Dodge truck with a Cummins in it, but not without a 100k mile extended warranty. The quality level compared to Toyota is laughable. Ford is much closer to Toyota in that respect. GM is getting there, but their FWD cars are still hit or miss IMO.

Ford isn't perfect by any stretch, every manufacturer has its issues. But they are the best by a mile of the Big 3 domestics on quality.

Don't Care
Established Member
Malt Liquor Mafia
OP you are comparing a Ram ST to Lariat's and XLT's. ST=XL. Laramie = Lariat. And the last time I owned a FC product was 2011 Wrangler Unlimited. I came to know service writer on a first name basis.

Laffs

Drop-da-top
Established Member
Ram incentives and discounts are greater, and in a lot of cases they're willing to move product cheaper at less margin to gain market share which theyve been gaining for the last few years at a good clip.

I'm on my third Ram now, had a couple 3rd Gens and now a 16' 1500 Sport. Am already planning on getting the new truck in a year or two since I love the new design and interiors and I know the price will be right.

All my trucks have been very reliable aside from a few issues on my 06 related to the TIPM (fuse block/distribution block) which apparently was related to the redesign. Never neen left stranded or had a no start in 300,000+ of Ram driving. As far as quality my 16 is just as nice inside as a comparable Chevy (per Chevy owners comments) and IMO better than the F150. Ride is heaps and bounds above the those two, for towing I added $99 air bags and it has no issues towing my 26' enclosed. Still up $17k over the Ford and Chevy.

Where I work now we run a fleet of trucks, all GMC Chevy (for the time). The all have their share of issues somewhere, most people are just brand loyal until they have issues a dealer hard lines them on. For me my money has always went further with the Ram and I've never been disappointed.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
To jump on board with the others, I have to vote Toyota. I love my Tacoma. I will put half a million miles on the thing and give it to my future children.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Ram incentives and discounts are greater, and in a lot of cases they're willing to move product cheaper at less margin to gain market share which theyve been gaining for the last few years at a good clip.

This is a big part. Ram isn't cheap, the others are too ****ing expensive.
You can NOT convince me a 4x4 F250 is worth 72K
I don't give a shit what the inside is like.

That said, My brothers (More than 1) Gas burner Rams have all done well with very little issues.
My 05 cummins is just broke in at 180,000 and not even a transmission issue.
That rust/paint issues has not been an issue around here since the late 80s

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Ram trucks are a much better than they were even as of 2009. When they came out with the current body style, they stepped up their game big time. I agree, I think Ford trucks are overpriced, but they are great trucks. I own a 2012 Ram 2500 since new, and only had one major issue which was handled by Ram with no warranty gripes. My next truck will probably be another Ram. They look great, have a ton of room, and can be had cheaper than Ford or Chevy most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread