Maybe stupid question. Why are Ram trucks so cheap?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
So, I've been looking at 2017 Ford XLTs and Lariats in 4x4, Supercrew, 5.0. Price range around $35 to right under $40K. Mileage 3000-17,000.

A friend with a small used car lot just got in a 2015 Ram ST Express, Quad cab 4x4 Hemi with 27k miles, and asking $25K. Same gas mileage and performance as the 5.0 best I can tell.

I bought my last truck there and I trust the guy. Seems like a lot of truck for the money. A little less leg room front and back and I need to go look at it. He refurbs anything that needs attention. It's the right color, too.

I've never been a Dodge guy except for their hot rods, and never owned one. Why are the trucks so cheap?

Last edited:

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I'm not slamming Dodges. Had an '85 Dodge Aries company car and it was actually a very good vehicle for the 55k miles I drove it, but that was a hell of a long time ago.

Maybe it's not that Rams are cheap, but Fords are expensive. I'm just wanting to know why the huge price difference in comparable trucks.

Massie02GT

Established Member
Having owned an 03 Ram 2500 Hemi and now a 13 F150 5.0, I’ll never go back to Dodge. Little things about the Ram really irked me. The SuperCrew on the F150 is much larger than the 4 door quad cab of the Ram. You’d have to get into a Mega Cab to have comparable room. My Ram also had 16 spark plugs, which was a huge PITA when you consider that they “demanded” basic copper plugs that had to be changed every 30k on the dot or your truck ran like garbage. Plus the whole Dodge paint and rust issues that plagued the Rams. Could be better now, but my 03 left me saying never again. Solid truck otherwise, but I would buy 10 F150’s before I bought another Ram.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Having owned an 03 Ram 2500 Hemi and now a 13 F150 5.0, I’ll never go back to Dodge. Little things about the Ram really irked me. The SuperCrew on the F150 is much larger than the 4 door quad cab of the Ram. You’d have to get into a Mega Cab to have comparable room. My Ram also had 16 spark plugs, which was a huge PITA when you consider that they “demanded” basic copper plugs that had to be changed every 30k on the dot or your truck ran like garbage. Plus the whole Dodge paint and rust issues that plagued the Rams. Could be better now, but my 03 left me saying never again. Solid truck otherwise, but I would buy 10 F150’s before I bought another Ram.
This is what I'm looking for right here. Someone else just said pretty much the same thing about a 2014 he had on another forum.

Massie02GT

Established Member
This is what I'm looking for right here. Someone else just said pretty much the same thing about a 2014 he had on another forum.

Like I said - they’re solid trucks for the price, but I will gladly spend a little more for an all around better truck. Oh and I can’t forget, the electrical gremlins that would literally shut my truck off while driving...that was fun.

Edited because I keep remembering issues I had.

The front end was literally sounding like it was falling apart, yet every single piece of the suspension was new. I was chasing that noise for a long time and never did figure it out.

I had to re-wire an entire tail light grid thanks to the “Lamp Out” feature Dodge has to let you know a bulb is blown. It even dings when nothing is wrong. I had to cut and wire in a new circuit board because it was a known fault.

My dash was in 15 pieces right before I sold it. I kept a spare on hand just for selling purposes. I ended up giving the new dash to the kid that bought my truck. They’re so fragile I refused to install it and risk cracking it.

Keep in mind - I sold that truck with 146,000 working miles. It didn’t live an easy life with me or it’s previous owner. That thing would pull a house off it’s foundation and never skip a beat if I needed it to. The issue was just the entire truck surrounding the motor.

Last edited:

Stateguy

Established Member
My father in-law went to look at a used 2014 f150 platinum that had around 45k and brought home a new 2015 Laramie for less. The truck has 71k miles on it now with no problems. Truck rides extremely well with the coil springs but doesn’t like heavy( >8000lb) loads.

We are in the same market area as the op.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

mcaligiuri

Established Member
depends how equipped the express was. Its a quad cab so its cheaper than a crewcab. I have a 2016 and it was cheaper to buy a new one that pay
3-5 grand less for a 40k used one. They hold their value well. They also did away with the 30k spark plug changes. So far I love the truck. not a bad price for a decent pickup

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Let me clarify for the math challenged. $8-10K less than comparable Fords.
Math challenged?

The Dodge isn't an aluminum beer can. Aluminum is more expensive than steel. That can be one reason.

Ram trucks are also competing with Ford, Chevy, Toyota, and Nissan. Winning in the price point was sells more trucks.

The Ram is a solid truck. It is just as well built and equipped as it's competition.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

EBBS_03_Cobra

Never satisfied
Established Member
I owned a '12 Big Horn, '13 Laramie, and '14 Laramie Long Horn. All three were nice trucks and I kept them until their warranty was expired. Only issue I ever had was on the LLH - I ruined a sensor with my pressure washer. All good trucks. If you take care of your vehicles they will all last.

I currently own a '16 F150 XLT. It's nice, but my money went way further with Ram (and I got employee pricing on my Rams and Ford). Only reason I went Ford was because I was tired of the Ram body.

I work a job where guys piss on each other's trucks all the time. I've generally found that those who hate Rams have never owned one, owned an early 2000's Ram, or beat the piss out of them and blamed their stupidity on the truck.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I put 300,000 miles on a 2003 quad cab SLT. That truck only died due to a stupid error that I may have been able to prevent. The lower radiator hose dropped and the truck ran extremely hot before the gauges ever had time to register. The cams got hot enough to become rainbow colored.

I still have the truck, and wish every day that I could locate an engine to drop back under the hood. My truck still looks brand new, inside and out.

Those 300,000 miles were not gentle miles. They hauled a 20ft race trailer full of tools and my bikes. It also hauled a trailer full of sound equipment for years. I never once had an issue until I destroyed the heads, and then chalked the 300,000 short block to being part of the collateral damage.

Massie02GT

Established Member
I put 300,000 miles on a 2003 quad cab SLT. That truck only died due to a stupid error that I may have been able to prevent. The lower radiator hose dropped and the truck ran extremely hot before the gauges ever had time to register. The cams got hot enough to become rainbow colored.

I still have the truck, and wish every day that I could locate an engine to drop back under the hood. My truck still looks brand new, inside and out.

Those 300,000 miles were not gentle miles. They hauled a 20ft race trailer full of tools and my bikes. It also hauled a trailer full of sound equipment for years. I never once had an issue until I destroyed the heads, and then chalked the 300,000 short block to being part of the collateral damage.

And I’m sure mine would have lasted to 300,000; at least the motor anyway. The body just wasn’t having it. My rear fenders we’re starting the typical rust bubbles, and both my fenders, a-pillars, and roof all had paint fade despite the fact that I waxed the truck regularly and took good care of it. Maybe the Nevada sun had something to do with it - who knows. All I do know is that I’m not the only one that had those issues. I’m sure like any major car manufacturer, there are differences in the “exact same” vehicle.

To me - having owned all of the “Big 3” in trucks, I will gladly pay the extra for a Ford. I’m in no way a fan-boy or brand loyalist, just through my experience I have found the Ford to fit me best. On the flip side to that, my Ram was 10 years older than my F150, so I would expect some major differences.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
:) I only posted that because of the huge price difference I posted in my OP.

Shake it off. I'm gonna go try to buy a Lariat this morning and give y'all something to punch me around about later.
You didn't bother me. The mods around here beat me up more than that comment. I thought it was amusing.

If I had taken it as an insult I would have told you so.

Zemedici

Established Member
Have you sat inside of one?

Enough said. I'm in the market for a new truck, and we build Rams all the time, just a basic interior that I cannot get over. The Ford trucks are just on another level...

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
My brother owns a 2016 Ram, and my father in law just picked up a 2018. Both of those trucks make me wish my Ram had an engine in it. The cab is the size of a living room.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of corners that were cut in styling and material, but I am a Dodge Ram fan. I can overlook a few novelty items.

Users who are viewing this thread