Maxing a MAF?

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Im soon to be getting a new tune on my car with my new motor and have some concerns with my MAF. Im running a BA3000 currently and will probably be surpassing the 825 recommended hp max thats listed on the sct website. I know there is the BA5000 but its max is also listed as 825... I would rather not have to sell/buy and get something different so im just seeing if anyone else out there has any info on if the 3000 will work say to 875hp or so. This is on e-85 if that makes any difference... If not, what should i be searching for. Im on a extra tight budget and everything is done, but im taking the car 6 hours from home to get it tuned and i dont want to get there and end up leaving a ton on the table.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
How big of a tube is it in? I just talked to a very reputable tuner about this a week ago. Im in the same boat as you are and we're actually gonna try a 2600. Who's tuning ur car? Im assuming its a std inlet 2.9?

Last edited:

sportinawoody

Established Member
hpx-e is extended to 1000hp if your cool with running a slot style meter. I have a flange if you need it. enlarging tube diameter extends the range of any meter also.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Its the standard 2.9, with a 90mm housing and i have either a ram air or the high boost from jlt if that matters at all. I spoke with bob kurgan a while back and and he was ok with the setup but i wasnt planning on making as much as i think the car will make. My local tuner/friend seems to think it should be enough, but ide like to get a few opinions on it before im down there getting it tuned and run out of maf.

Last edited:

Cobra03SC

Established Member
TBH i dont really care much for anything diablo makes. I had one before and had alot of issues with it, ide like to stay sct or even try a new brand if i absolutely have to, but again i dont want to spend extra money on something i dont need.

sportinawoody

Established Member
if you go with a 123mm maf housing or bigger, it will extend the range of your meter. the bigger the diameter of just the housing, the more range your present meter is capable of. there is no other opinion, either buy a bigger meter, bigger maf tube, or both. that simple. Is dan tuning your car at pro dyno ?

03Steve

Established Member
You can always get a custom meter from Pro-M. That is what I use on my car and on my neighbor's 4.0L Whipple combo.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
Im actually having bob kurgan tune it and hes a good ways from me so i want to have all my ducks in a row before i get down there.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
I did look into the HPX-e but im thinking by the time i pick the meter, housing, and wireing kit it will be closer to 350-400 unless someone out there sells a complete kit with a 95-100ishmm housing?

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
FWIW, Bob just tuned a friend of mines 2.9 Whipple car on c85. We had the JLT HB intake with the BA3000. Car made 800rwhp and had plenty of headroom with the MAF. To be honest, Im pretty interested to see if the 2.9 non crusher will make over 800.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
I didnt get a chance to ask kurgan, its a local tuner whom i dont really trust as much. Kurgan didnt seem to think there would be any issues going well into the 800s with my setup, its a 5.3 9.8.1 motor with cnc'd heads/cams, pretty much everything that could be done. Im going to pulley it for 23lbs and see what it makes, but i have pulleys to go up or down if i need to.

Cobra03SC

Established Member
At this point i think im going to just ride it out with what i have... If it maxes out then ill talk to bob about a re-tune in the future.

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
Sounds good. I didn't realize you had the extra cubes. Good luck with everything, and let us know how you make out! When are you going for a tune?

Cobra03SC

Established Member
I haven't scheduled it all in just yet but im hoping within the next month or so, will update after i get it all sorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread