Maximum Motorsports K-Member

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I just wanted to share a very detailed write up that Tob created.

MAXIMUMFinalslightlysmaller.jpg

Albert Einstein said:
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

I was recently given the opportunity to jump on the train a little early and grab a good seat before it pulled into the station. Maximum Motorsports is finalizing the design of their latest masterpiece, a K-member designed to fit the 2005-2014 S197 chassis. I just installed one in my 2009 GT500 and have already accepted the fact that the grin on my face may indeed be permanent. I invite you to spend a few minutes staring and studying.

1Untitled.jpg

14Untitled.jpg

19Untitled.jpg

18Untitled.jpg

15Untitled.jpg

6Untitled.jpg

4Untitled.jpg

10Untitled.jpg

30Untitled.jpg

7Untitled.jpg

My name is Tob and I have a hardware addiction.

Yeah, and I'm not looking for a cure either. Pulling all of this from the neatly packed box it came in, one thing was clear to me in short order - a lot of thought went into this and it was going to take a bit of time to understand the reasoning behind the design. The beautifully designed/fabricated/finished tubular K-member holds nothing back. I expected that. What I wasn't prepared for were the CNC machined billet aluminum blocks. I had never seen a photo of them nor were they specifically talked about. It took me a few minutes to realize what they were for.

12Untitled.jpg

11Untitled.jpg

13Untitled.jpg

It was the large radius that gave it away. And while I figured out how they were integral to the design I had yet to grasp the utility they offered.

22Untitled.jpg

23Untitled.jpg

24Untitled.jpg

29Untitled.jpg

I had planned for this install for some time now and one of the things I wanted to take advantage of during the swap was to install a set of the now deceased, FRPP GT500 shorty headers. So I had to figure out an order of operation as well as a means to get it done. Maximum helped out in this department in a big way. They supplied a flanged tube assembly (as well as superb tech on the matter) that worked flawlessly with some beefy ratchet straps that I keep on hand.

3Untitled.jpg

31Untitled.jpg

37Untitled.jpg

Once the modular monster was safely restrained I was able to pull the factory K-member and suspension pieces with relative ease. I was able to do everything by myself (My Great Dane "Big V" was there just in case) either on my knees or on my back. The motorcycle jack I used made lowering the K-member a breeze.

33Untitled.jpg

34Untitled.jpg

I don't have any official specifications to report other than to say that design allows for a much stronger piece than the factory with increased room or clearance as well as much improved geometry.

38Untitled.jpg

39Untitled.jpg

40Untitled.jpg

Winston Churchill said:
Kites rise highest against the wind - not with it.

The billet blocks. I hadn't identified the additional role(s) they were designed to fill until Chuck Schwynoch, the CEO at MM, pointed it out to me. The blocks (and the welded angle assemblies attached to them) were designed to allow the engine to be supported independent of the K-member. Absolute genius. Talk about room for a header install or pan change/maintenance, etc. Like a pair of comfortable shoes or your best fitting jeans, the included hardware fit like a glove. The three loosely threaded bolts you see are for attaching the K-member.

41Untitled.jpg

42Untitled.jpg

With the engine fully supported I was able to install and square up the K-member like a gentleman.

43Untitled.jpg

45Untitled.jpg

46Untitled.jpg

47Untitled.jpg

49Untitled.jpg

50Untitled.jpg

52Untitled.jpg

53Untitled.jpg

Installed along with the K-member were MM's caster/camber plates as well as their bumpsteer kit. I used a Longacre c/c gauge and string lines for alignment and was on the road. I'm happy to report that there is zero increase in NVH and I mean zero. I commented to Chuck that the car felt different in that it seemed to have lost the desire to plow off the road. It is clearly better than it was from a confidence perspective. I'm not finished with it yet and am trying to fine tune so that I can offer accurate and repeatable feedback to Maximum.

Dr Seuss said:
Why fit in when you were born to stand out?

Some truly creative minds have created something truly revolutionary. Chuck, Luka, Jack, and everyone else at Maximum - please, keep up the good work!

Tob

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thank you for sharing this with the GT crowd Justin.

Typical MM sweetness. I would like to hear about geometry changes that this piece may have.

The CEO of Maximum, Chuck Schwynoch, has seen the posts here at SVTP with respect to more information. He indicated to me that he'd try to put something together as much as the piece isn't yet available. I promise to share whatever he allows me to.

BMR Tech

This is definitely a very well thought out and nice piece.

Although our track record with our K-Member is flawless, I would definitely put this towards the top of my list if I were to build a track (handling) dedicated car.

They did a sweet job!

I am sure the weight savings are minimal, but there are more benefits to these pieces than simply saving weight.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
My installation and writeup precedes any official release date, obviously. My only suggestion at this point is to keep an eye out.

ON EDIT...I just found this a couple of minutes ago while conducting a Google search.

[video=youtube;VSOge6QVdh0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSOge6QVdh0#t=22[/video]

Gpcalero

Cuz Racecar
Established Member
My installation and writeup precedes any official release date, obviously. My only suggestion at this point is to keep an eye out.

ON EDIT...I just found this a couple of minutes ago while conducting a Google search.

[video=youtube;VSOge6QVdh0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSOge6QVdh0#t=22[/video]

.....'weighs within a pound or two of the stock k-member'

WHAT? Might as well go BMR...

BMR Tech

To be honest and fair - this MM piece and the BMR pieces are not really comparable, and they cater to a completely different crowd.

Our piece is for the majority, street/strip and street/track guys. It serves most very well.

The MM piece is awesome, from what I see thus far. I would not intend on the average street car customer to invest into it, though.

That said, I have kicked around the idea of having an "add-on" bracing system....that would be WICKED, in addition to our S197 K-Members.

That said, ideas coming to fruition is another story. lol

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member

Weight savings though nice shouldn't be your main concern, your main concern should be geometry and longevity of the piece. Also they may have done this so that AI cars can use it without using more ballast.

Users who are viewing this thread